Spent 30 mins on a couple Enfields
Close

This is a discussion on Spent 30 mins on a couple Enfields within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Took the wife over to a dealer to demo some Royal Enfields today. The US distributor was on hand with a demo fleet, got a ...

Took the wife over to a dealer to demo some Royal Enfields today. The US distributor was on hand with a demo fleet, got a chance to ride a B5 and C5 frame, both sporting the new EFI unit construction motor. I was quite pleased with both, fun lil scoots that felt solid. I didn't really notice as much of a difference in handling between the two chassis as the rep was claiming there would be, but we also didn't have a route that let us do any real carving so...

Much fun, I could see having one as a putt around toy. I suspect I'll get a Ural Gear Up before I get an RE though.

i would have much rather ridden those than the victory's, sounds fun.

Anybody think that there is a decent market for these? Price vs. value and all that.

Wasn't someone on here a dealer at one time?

Right now I'm a Ural service center but tossing around dealership ideas.
    http://www.scramblercycle.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

My Buddy is a Triumph Royal Einfield dealer. He loves them and finds they are quite profitable vs the Triumphs.
    http://theglassboot.blogspot.com/

Was that dealer down in Portland, I think Cumberland Co. Choppers? I was meaning to get over there last time I was in Maine.

My opinion on the Enfields is the same as the Urals, for the price or less of the replibikes, which are not really known for build quaility, you can buy a very nice original BMW /5 or R. Or in the case of the Enfield, a decent '70's Bonnie, Tiger or BSA twin or 441 single, all of which will increase in value and not depreciate.

Yup, Jolly John er Cumberland County Choppers in Portland.

I do think the retail new prices are a touch high on both marques, but so far the inventory turn over at Cumby Co has been pretty good. They can't keep Ural Patrol's on the floor and I didn't see any in service the times I've popped in. If Ural would pick up the RE's EFI and drop the price a touch more I think it'd be a decent scoot. I still want one with knobbies to try running atv trails on chasing my father on his 4-wheeler. They don't run very difficult trails, could be fun.

looked over a few efi models today.

definitely not my thing. when did they get the word royal back? shifter is on the wrong side and the optics suck with the disc.

i have ridden their much better proposition cousin the centaurus. 108 kph top whack that you measure the acceleration after 80 in minutes, not seconds and somewhere between 95 and 120 imperial mpg. diesel is good fun.

new urals are not old urals or even the newer old urals. thank fuck. 2003 model had dropped the inlet valve seat, cocked the seat over and held the valve wiiiiiiide open and made a mess of the rocker gear. new head took three weeks and the firm never paid the warranty labour costs.
    BFF of Ken, inheritor of same status with Tex, erstwhile defender of young Kerry, and general village idiot sans village. Glen.

quote:Originally posted by hahnda

Anybody think that there is a decent market for these? Price vs. value and all that.

Wasn't someone on here a dealer at one time?

Right now I'm a Ural service center but tossing around dealership ideas.
    hard to say.....

Leo was a sales dealer and still is a service dealer. I was investigating it myself before passing for other financial reasons not related to enfield.

here are the problems as I see it:

1) It is hard to justify a vintage style 500cc single as a beginner bike (even though it is) when the bike is underpowered as compared to its competition (Honda and Ninja 250s-500s). The bike is an excellent beginner bike and a good city runabout or blue road crusier. It is not a sustained highway trawler.

2) The AVL and Iron Barrel did a lot of damage to the Enfield reputation among motorcyclists. Everybody has a buddy that had one that needed some ungodly amount of repair and was terribly unreliable. I think the new UCE bikes are amazing and really one of the best bang for your buck bikes under $7K and nothing like the old ones but you know how hard it is to change bench racing opinions. Another hamper to this is that the finish is not always the greatest and it makes the bike look like it might be a little bit of the old one which it isn't.

3) People are xenopohbic about products from india. Forget that this bike is the best selling bike in india, and has more adventure touring accomplishments in that country than the big four and BMW combined, people hear it is made in india and automatically they think it is junk. They way I sell it to people is that they are now owned by a big truck company and the motor was Austrian designed, the majority of the electrics are japanese and the efi is the same kehin on a triumph bonneville so it is truly a "world" bike.

4) They are not a showroom draw. As pretty as they are most people including motorcycle people have never heard of them. If you are aggressive about marketing them locally (shows, demo rides, etc....) they are about as hard a sell as a triumph Bonneville in williamsburg, which isn't very hard. People when they see them love them and usually a crowd forms around them. I did a photo shoot with one for Esquire last year and everyone asked me how long it took me to restore the bike.

5) I still hear parts can be a bitch to get if you are not placing a big order.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Sponsored Links