The Fix for CB750's running POD'S
Close

This is a discussion on The Fix for CB750's running POD'S within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; The question of running POD's on a CB750 keeps popping up ever now and then. Well - for you asking that question, I've found a ...

The question of running POD's on a CB750 keeps popping up ever now and then. Well - for you asking that question, I've found a sure-fire way to fix CB750's from running crappy with POD's.

Replace the stock carbs with M29 Smooth bores.

Unfortunately, this fix will cost you about a Gee-Wiz Grand...
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

I have found CB750 stock carbs (pr-76) to be some of the easiest to tune with pods, but good on ya, I want some CR's for my GS750... soon to be around 920cc..

My guess is just that you have found proper jetting for the CR's. A different carb really won't change the characteristics of the turbulence created by a pod much more than any other carb.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

Since CRs or RSs are considered "race carbs" they don't have to conform to any EPA crap. They are pretty much jetted to run without filters right out of the box. Minor fiddling may be needed. The RS38s I have on my GSXR are almost right as they came out of the box. I'm amazed at how fuss free they've been. Now, if they only were as easy to sync as the OEMs were.
    Aging fart on a soon to be antique. 86 GSXR750, 883 Cosworth kit, head milled .015, 5 angle valve job, Yosh Stg 2 cams and spring kit, Extrudehone porting, Mikuni RS38s, Hindle exhaust, Falicon crank work, Carrillo rods, 17\" Dymag wheels, EBC rotors and pads, SS lines, Ohlins shock, \"Ti\" rear spring, Raceteched forks, 127 rwhp, 10.82 @ 130.7 in the 1/4. Not the bestest or fastest, but pretty frikkin tough.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I found the M29 work real well with 115 Mains on a 78 cb750 engine. With PODs they are a little stuffed up - with velocity stacks they kick ass...

I also noticed that the pods sit further back under the side covers then pods on stock carbs. I'm wondering if moving the pods back a little on stock carbs if that would help the turbulence problems.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

OEM carbs are easy to tune for the SOHC, but as they say, they don't track well. What they mean is that overlap from one circuit to another is not as smooth as with Mikunis. Back in the day one option was VM29 smooth bores but I don't think they have been made for a long time.

We use those modified stock carbs on race bikes with methanol but a few parts have to be modified and teh bottom end is not all that streetable, but it's a race bike so who cares......

I just happened to have a brand new set of VM29's in my parts inventory - so I decided to break them out and throw'em on the bike. I'm glad I did - now I'm looking for a comp baffle for my kerker exhaust.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Sponsored Links