Best Bike For Beginner Rider/First Cafe Build - Page 4
Close

Best Bike For Beginner Rider/First Cafe Build

This is a discussion on Best Bike For Beginner Rider/First Cafe Build within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; the short story on dual sports: drz400 = the most dirt bike, lightest of the "big bikes", not as happy as adventureand long distance steed ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    the short story on dual sports:

drz400 = the most dirt bike, lightest of the "big bikes", not as happy as adventureand long distance steed as some of the other ones but on narrow trail will beat the others listed
    XR650l = One step towards the adventure bike. Descendant from XR600 that ruled Baja and even Dakar back in the day. Largely similar as xr600 but l has e-start (and is street legal from factory). Great all arounder - can really do a lot but really not super in any of it.
    Dr650 = similar to XR650L but a small step more of a freight train. Like XR its air cooled.
    KLR Kawasaki = poor mans BMW GS adventure substitute. Has traveled around the world under many riders, more of an adventure bike than dirt bike. Too big bike for real off road.

I would also consider the smaller ones the dr350, etc. Lighter bikes and often cheap. I have honda XR650L and its Tall and not light. Pick it up a few times and you will feel it - especially air knocked out of you. I took it to a hare and hound but the suspension is nothing compared to real dirt bikes. But you do not see KTM EXCs or honda CRFXs with 50k miles on them.

-

When I first came here I was shopping for an open face helmet and just purchased a vintage '71 Moto Guzzi. I wish now I had the advice you are getting as my Guzzi is sweet and comfy but it has been at the shop more than on the road. Should have picked up a Ninja twin first.

Oh well - at least it is forcing me to practice riding on a light Yamaha TW dirt bike an in-law is letting me borrow. Oh and I got a full face helmet.

Michael M.

PS: that Guzzi is gonna be awesome some day. I ride it around carefully as if it was a big moped. Anyway.

another bit of advice, buy something that you can out ride. I've got a little 185 that i love to ride, i can easily reach the limits of the bike out on the public street and most of the time i can do it while being legal. Its alot of fun to whip around corners though because its so small.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Hi. Also new to the forum. I'm a relatively new rider. Back in college I messed around on an unregistered Ninja 250 until it got impounded. Now 15 years later, I have been a daily rider (except in the snow) for the last year. I've not regretted having my first bike be a Nighthawk 250. Honestly, the engine is bulletproof. It's a fun ride and has enough power for urban riding. It's also a good size for me (5'6" and 160). I do like the look of the cafe racers but I know I need to ride a bit longer.

I was wondering if someone could clarify the review of the Buell Blast that says it's the bike that falls apart as you ride. I ask because I was thinking of having that be my next "step up" bike. It's cheap. I've read some good reviews and it seems it would be better on the highway/expressway than my Nighthawk. My commutes are generally in the city. I rarely go more than a few miles from home but I do ride almost daily.
    ==========================
    \"All of us are lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.\"
    --Oscar Wilde

Hi. Also new to the forum. I'm a relatively new rider. Back in college I messed around on an unregistered Ninja 250 until it got impounded. Now 15 years later, I have been a daily rider (except in the snow) for the last year. I've not regretted having my first bike be a Nighthawk 250. Honestly, the engine is bulletproof. It's a fun ride and has enough power for urban riding. It's also a good size for me (5'6" and 160). I do like the look of the cafe racers but I know I need to ride a bit longer.

I was wondering if someone could clarify the review of the Buell Blast that says it's the bike that falls apart as you ride. I ask because I was thinking of having that be my next "step up" bike. It's cheap. I've read some good reviews and it seems it would be better on the highway/expressway than my Nighthawk. My commutes are generally in the city. I rarely go more than a few miles from home but I do ride almost daily.
    ==========================
    \"All of us are lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.\"
    --Oscar Wilde

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links