Newb Member Intro
Close

Newb Member Intro

This is a discussion on Newb Member Intro within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Newb here, making an intro post since you guys seem to like that. 1. Yes I filled out my bio. 2. Yes I do have ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RJB

Newb Member Intro

Newb here, making an intro post since you guys seem to like that.
    1. Yes I filled out my bio.
    2. Yes I do have a good amount of mechanical experience, so I feel comfortable getting into a project such as an old bike.
    3. No I will not use the words "cafe" and "style" in the same sentence.

Now that we have that out of the way, we can get to the interesting stuff. I recently bought a 1973 Honda CB350G as my rider/project. I'm not really interested in doing a cafe build on this bike, most likely I will try to keep it as stock as possible and do a minor restoration job on it. I did a little research and from what I've read it would appear that this is the only 350 twin that had a factory front disc brake?

Here are a couple pics from when I got it home:

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

As you can see, it has a dent in the tank, but otherwise is a pretty clean bike. The chrome all looks like it should clean up nice and the seat is in remarkably good condition.

I look forward to seeing what you guys think about it!
    1973 CB350G
    2002 Ninja 500r
    I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.

I'll respond with the usual since I'm bored. Did you get a title with it? Does it run? If so good if not bad. Clean it up get it running then start changing things. Best to start with eliminating the usual dirty carb, bad battery etc problems.

P.s. If you are looking for validation of your purchase this isn't the place. Welcome.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

honda twins site

I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I might have decent tank for you, cheap cheap.

I bet you thought they'd go easy since you covered the basics

Welcome.
    1988 FZ600

Nice complete bike. Is this your first motorcycle? Do any car work?

You didn't mention if it was running or not. Parts are easy to get for that bike. If not running, and it turns over and has compression, odds are good it will run just fine after an oil and plug change, and a new battery. The old petcock seals are probably leaking, and if the oil smells funny it probably has fuel in the oil.

There is a lot of info on that bike here, since there's a lot of vintage racers that run that bike.
    "This site is bullshit."

I think it's a cb350g.

Assholeness aside, a list of what I'd do:

Get running
    Change out front end for cb550 triple trees, forks, wheel, and go dual disk up front.
    Change wheel bearing, steering bearings, and swing arm bushings.
    Get ikon or hagon shocks and single rate springs front and rear.
    Install superbike bars.
    Get good tires.

Ride it to death.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

Oh yeah,

Welcome.

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

RJB
    Thanks for the info guys, here's some on the bike.

TSwami: I'm not looking for validation from anyone, just good advice as I'm new to working on bikes.

The previous owner said it hasn't run in 8 months and he couldn't figure out why. I got it home, put a charger on the battery and discovered that everything on it works except the horn, but it still wont start. It had a leaky petcock so I put in a new gasket and filter screen while I was at it. The motor was turning over fine with the kick and the electric start, so I changed the oil and put in new plugs. I was getting good compression and good fire so I figured it was probably a fuel problem. It had two little see-thru fuel filters between the petcock and the carbs, one for each carb. They didn't have much fuel in them at all, so I took them off and just run the fuel lines straight into the carbs from the petcock. I got on the kick starter and it started on the second kick and maintained a steady idle after it warmed up, I was amazed to say the least.

Mickey: How much for the tank? I was planning on doing the body work myself on this bike, but if the tanks cheap enough I might just save myself the trouble!

borzwazi: yes it is my first street bike, I have ridden dirt bikes for about a year. And yes I do car work at my family's auto shop.

mlinder: those mods sound awfully tasty, but I'm working on a tight budget with this bike (paying for school is a bitch). Maybe one day I'll get around to doing something like that.
    1973 CB350G
    2002 Ninja 500r

RJB
    Oh, and I do have a title for it. I also got a 1972 CL350 frame with original title from Oregon as part of the deal on the bike.
    1973 CB350G
    2002 Ninja 500r

Then be sure to change wheel bearings, steering bearings and swing arm bushings, and get tires.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links