FZ guys
Close

FZ guys

This is a discussion on FZ guys within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I've already discovered that there is very little for mid 80s FZs out there. Fortunately I don't need much. Is there somewhere out there on ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FZ guys

FZ guys

I've already discovered that there is very little for mid 80s FZs out there. Fortunately I don't need much.
    Is there somewhere out there on the interwebs that doesnt pop up on the top of a google search thats a little more FZ specific?
    I'm gonna need first, a petcock rebuild kit, then likely float needles, float bowl gaskets and possibly caliper rebuild kits.
    I started on the lower fairings late last night (cuz that's quiet work and cuz I had resin a glass cloth sitting around) and today discovered the left side lower fairing mounting brackets are missing. Anyone got a lead on where I can find that kinda stuff, besides eBay? I can fab some up when I get to that point but there's nothing better than original if I can get them.
    And before I just buy one, anyone have an old manual they want to sell? Or a good reference site?
    Thanks
    1988 FZ600

The bracket will be more difficult than everything else. The FZ is a parts bin bike, so common Yamaha parts are still available for it. Maybe KenInIowa has a bracket. I may have a manual in PDF I can zip and send you.
    http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-deta...roduct_id=1013
    http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-deta...roduct_id=1787

Just found a nice seat and a 2004 R1 rear shock for mine.

NE
    Subscribe to SIX HOT ISSUES!! of WarmPipe for only $29.99!!! Interweb NOW!!!!!

Mark which you need. Probably have if I can find:

No FZ specific sites that I've been able to find. I joined the FZRarchives, but haven't been there for probably a couple years. I keep my eyes open in the vintage section of the WERA board, FZ stuff pops up every so often.

Far as parts, someone posted a link in your other thread. Find a dealer with an OEM parts finder that sells online. I have a so-so local OEM parts hookup, but not good enough for you to then pay shipping where I get mine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Ned,
    Thanks for the lead. And yes, I would reallyreally appreciate a zip of the manual. I'm trying to keep the expenses as low as possible on this one.

Yeah, Ken. I've been through a lot of forums looking for info but I'm not finding much. Seems these little FZs are the forgotten bastard children of the mid 80s sport bike world. I found a couple places online that sell oem, but they don't sell "kits" per se, just parts. And when I went to order stuff they were out of stock on some things. I'm hoping to get it all together before I start in.
    The brackets I'm looking for are #48 & #50 in the pic above. If you have em I'll buy em. Thanks.
    1988 FZ600

Thanks again Ned. I just ordered all the carb stuff from Sirius and it was all in stock. Once I get the carbs sorted out I'm on to tires and brakes (if needed).

If you do find that manual my email is mjdonatello @ comcast.net. I appreciate it.

Ken,
    I think those two brackets total like $85 if ordered new so I'll either buy what you have, run with now lowers or fabricate them. Thats too much for two pieces of metal in my book.

So much for just parking it and leaving it alone. Jesus, I'm an impatient fucker.
    1988 FZ600

quote:Originally posted by mickey356

Seems these little FZs are the forgotten bastard children of the mid 80s sport bike world.
    No, fuck no. They are loved and revered by people whom have the proper understanding of what a simple middleweight sportbike should be and look like.

We are above the need to be validated by message boards.

We exist on a higher plane.

Forgot to look for those brackets tonight, know I have some.

Mickey, I have been into several sets of those carbs and never needed to replace the needles and seats. I have had to clean the tips of the needles to get the yuck off of them. I also have just taken the calipers apart and cleaned out the o ring grooves, pistons and o rings and put them back together. If you have more time than.money, it is worth a try. I am now 4000 miles away from my bikes, but I can help with info, since I think collectively, we know as much here as anybody on th interwebs.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Thanks Ken(s)!

I was only referring to the parts availability, or seemingly lack there of, not the bike itself. The FZ speaks to me
    I swear that bike was made for me. When I sit on it it's like an old pair of jeans

As for the carbs and brakes, having the needles and seats if I need them will be nice and hopefully the o rings will be ok when I take the calipers apart. I always feel better going over the basics for piece of mind. As soon as I can get my hands on a manual I'll start tearing into things. I think I can probably handle the petcock rebuild with out one and the carb cleaning as well.
    The bike leaks gas from the carbs when it's sitting. Could be anything in there so I'll start with petcock rebuild, carb cleaning and float bowl gaskets.
    1988 FZ600

Took the carbs off today (a little tight in the to say the least) and removed the float bowls. The gaskets were hard as rock! (no wonder they were leaking) anyway, the pins for the float arms won't come out. I can't seem to budge them but I'm not forcing much cuz I don't want to tweak the levels by accident. The other thing I noticed was the floats one one carb seem to "bounce" when you tap them but the other three have no spring. They have movement but no "bounce". I have kits on the way but I'm a little stuck as what to do about the float arm pins.

Also, the boots on the airbox are all kinds of warped. I put them in boiling water and that got them seated nicely in the box but the mouths are still a bit kittywampus.
    Any suggestions on the pins?

I know this should be in tech but I figure I'm already here.
    Thanks
    1988 FZ600

Assuming they are the same as any other float pins, small ball peen hammer and a tiny punch. Just be careful.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links