Ducati Supersport 750
Close

Ducati Supersport 750

This is a discussion on Ducati Supersport 750 within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of a 1999 Ducati Supersport 750? Thank you in advance, JP...

Ducati Supersport 750

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of a 1999 Ducati Supersport 750?

Thank you in advance,
    JP
    "Its amazing what can be done when you don't know you can't do it" Bill Anderson

Con?
    What? It's not a screaming in-line four???

Aging fart on a soon to be antique. 86 GSXR750, 883 Cosworth kit, head milled .015, 5 angle valve job, Yosh Stg 2 cams and spring kit, Extrudehone porting, Mikuni RS38s, Hindle exhaust, Falicon crank work, Carrillo rods, 17\" Dymag wheels, EBC rotors and pads, SS lines, Ohlins shock, \"Ti\" rear spring, Raceteched forks, 127 rwhp, 10.82 @ 130.7 in the 1/4. Not the bestest or fastest, but pretty frikkin tough.

"Con?
    What? It's not a screaming in-line four???"

From what I gathered from random searching is that it’s a good handling bike, but lacks in many other areas.
    "Its amazing what can be done when you don't know you can't do it" Bill Anderson

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

In all honesty, I did have a short ride on one. If I remember correctly, much of it was the same as the 900SS of the same vintage.
    I know, this isn't much help. I think there was a "Sport" also, with the key differences being a less expensive suspension package. My brief impression of the ride was that it was a tad slower than a typical 900SS, no brainer there.
    Basic handling was fairly neutral, similar to my GSXR {w/ 18" wheels}. You could roll into corners and once on your line, it would stay there without any continuous handlebar input. I've ridden some bikes that were quite annoying in that regard. In their defense, I think some cases may have been because of badly worn tires.
    It should be a very nice and capable bike. As far as its shortcomings, I would think that well chosen aftermarket updates would take care of most of that. That's part of the fun, isn't it?
    Aging fart on a soon to be antique. 86 GSXR750, 883 Cosworth kit, head milled .015, 5 angle valve job, Yosh Stg 2 cams and spring kit, Extrudehone porting, Mikuni RS38s, Hindle exhaust, Falicon crank work, Carrillo rods, 17\" Dymag wheels, EBC rotors and pads, SS lines, Ohlins shock, \"Ti\" rear spring, Raceteched forks, 127 rwhp, 10.82 @ 130.7 in the 1/4. Not the bestest or fastest, but pretty frikkin tough.

It ugly. Seriously butt fucking ugly. Like it's mama gave it back ugly. makes the 860GT look like a nekkid Kathy Ireland circa 1994. You may not think that is a huge shortcoming but wait till you try to sell it and no one shows up. You would be surprised at how many I see advertised with (unrealistic) $3000 price tags and the ad lasts an entire year. If you find one for the right price - usually they are the cheapest way to say you own a ducati, and they will impress people who don't really know much just by being a ducati.

Other than that it is pretty much the next gen of the sporting desmo rubber band motors. Usually that means forks better than the basic monster but not by much and worse than a monster s2r or s4r. I would rather have an ST2 from the same generation.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Really? I like the SS design a lot. The half fairing version is a little goofy in red but some others look ok.

I rented a ss1000 for 3 days and really liked it. I am not racer but felt like it was put together from quality components compared to my SV or other bikes I have ridden.
    -

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

It ugly. Seriously butt fucking ugly. Like it's mama gave it back ugly. makes the 860GT look like a nekkid Kathy Ireland circa 1994. You may not think that is a huge shortcoming but wait till you try to sell it and no one shows up. You would be surprised at how many I see advertised with (unrealistic) $3000 price tags and the ad lasts an entire year. If you find one for the right price - usually they are the cheapest way to say you own a ducati, and they will impress people who don't really know much just by being a ducati.

Other than that it is pretty much the next gen of the sporting desmo rubber band motors. Usually that means forks better than the basic monster but not by much and worse than a monster s2r or s4r. I would rather have an ST2 from the same generation.
    I agree they are ugly,but how hard would it be to put a front fairing (round light) like the Duc classic on it? And how much would it cost? The bike am looking at is in great condition, low miles (10K), and FI (1999) model, what do you say 2,300 to 2,500 hundred tops?

Call me sick and or simple minded, but I like the SS. But since I live in America I would take the 900 over the 750.

I don't really have the tech knowledge these guys have so I can't speak to its performance but I think its good looking. I have weird taste though so don't give my opinion any weight.
    I wouldn't mind seeing it in my garage every morning.
    1988 FZ600

I think the 1990-1998 SS are some of the sexiest bikes ducati ever made. I think the 1999-2005 are some of the ugliest. The scoops, the vents, the bodywork that bows out and tucks in - it is all just tacky. the least objectionable part I find is maybe the headlight and center plastic, but that is still kinda tacky. What's really funny is the supermono race bike is downright gorgeous and has all the same elements but more understated. Something about being a purpose built racebike also makes a difference.

If you were skilled enough anything is possible. once you take the fairing off though you'll quickly realize the tank shape and seat shape don't really go together, so remaking it's image is really a full remake.

supermono

supersport
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Sponsored Links