Industrial tubing and pipe benders?
Close

This is a discussion on Industrial tubing and pipe benders? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Anyone here know anything about how to evaluate one? I am looking at a di-acro model 3 hand bender. Anybody can tell me about these? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone here know anything about how to evaluate one?

I am looking at a di-acro model 3 hand bender. Anybody can tell me about these? What to check, what goes bad?
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

its funny you say that. i was talking to my dad about bending about a rear hoop for my cb360 and he brought up that name. all i know is that his at work will bend 1 inch bar, and he liked it. i could give him a call if you want?
    CR.NET home of the douchebag motel

Per their catalog max round tubing capacity is 1" 16ga= useless toy

http://www.diacro.com/catalogs/diacro/index.html

The variable radius aspect of it would be awesome.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

It's funny, I looked at the manual for the unit I was looking at (built in 1970) and the specs were higher. The model 3 could bend 1" mild steel bar stock and the model 4 could bend 1 1/4". On their site, it seems the model 3 can only bend .625" bar stock now - I wonder if that has to do with something in production or if they found that 1" wears the bending dies out too quickly.

I want to use it to bend something similar to 1" handlebars. Not sure of the thickness of the material, but my understanding is that this machine is more than capable.

The other thing is that this machine has been sitting and I am concerned the fixtures are frozen up. It isn't bolted down, but I am curious as to how easy it is supposed to turn when not loaded with bar.

Ken, I can't tell if you are joking or not......
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

No really the ability to vary radi would be awesome. That's the biggest drawback to my JD* or any Hossfeld copy bender is that different radius bends reguire different dies, which in my case are in the neighborhood of $200 ea.

I was just going by their site, didn't know they existed till last night. 1" 16ga is like light conduit that's why I say useless for me. 1" is the smallest die I own.

It will have to be tied down hard as in concrete floor. I've seen people do like reciever hitch mounts but then you have the movement of the suspension and whatnot, not good.

See how the Model 4 has some sort of ratchet mechanism in the handle and the base?

That also leads me to believe the others are very light duty.

You have to have some sort of leverage increasing apparatus to bend anything of heft manually.

I dunno ken, If you see this thing in person the lever arm is 3.5 feet long. I think the ratcheting action on the model 4 is what allows you to do larger diameter without backing the lever off the work.

With dies the unit is 100+ lbs. The base is designed to be bolted to a table or concrete block. It isn't a ped mount bender by any means. It is def not light duty, but it is specialized. I think it is the 1960's way of doing light production shop work - the previous owner was the guy who built and certified experimental aircraft (homebuilts, not military or commercial) and I have a feeling he used this to do more than one airplane tube frame.

What is super nice about it is the ability to setup a series of simple pegs and do an S-curve bend in one pull. So I could make half a superbike bar in one pull. The setup options are amazing even if the material size options are less than stellar.

I looked ad the JD2 units - how do you like them? I looked at the $350 unit that can do up to 2" tube (no mention of thickness or gauge). Buying $200 worth of dies is not appealing to me at all but with either bender it looks that way.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

What is super nice about it is the ability to setup a series of simple pegs and do an S-curve bend in one pull. So I could make half a superbike bar in one pull. The setup options are amazing even if the material size options are less than stellar.
    This part would be awesome.

A JD2 or any other that design bender will not do bends like for handlebars and really aren't that handy for anything motorcycle related.

I'm just going by what I read the site and my own personal experience. My first JD2 was manual with a 4ft handle and ratchet mechanism. I literally tore the soles off a pair of shoes one night pulling on it. Hence air over hydraulic now.

What kind of money is he wanting for it? Didn't see(or look) for any prices on their site. I'd give a few hundy for it just to play with.

I did not mention price as the seller lurks here, or at least his employees do. Let's just say it is inexpensive enough that if i decided it doesn't work for me I can sell it on for what I am planning to pay without too much trouble.

I just got a crash course in this brand machine over the phone this am so I now have a better idea what I am looking at. One thing my buddy said over the phone was a machine like this is only as good/accurate as the operator.

Bend limit on tubing is 2.5x tube diameter so that is pretty good.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Now you have me thinking;

http://madison.craigslist.org/tls/2558126412.html

haven't looked into what tooling costs yet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links