A TITLE !! I dont need no stinkin title!
Close

This is a discussion on A TITLE !! I dont need no stinkin title! within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; well actually i do according to north carolinas dmv, heys guy ,a newbie to cafe racers here but not motorcycles , been on them 28 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

well actually i do according to north carolinas dmv, heys guy ,a newbie to cafe racers here but not motorcycles , been on them 28 of my 35 years on this earth and loved every second of it!! i have a question about getting a title for the 1980 cb400t i just bought yesterday for no good reason other than it runs good and was super cheap (although it aint pretty ,i'll post a pic soon) i called the DMV here today and had them run the numbers and they couldnt find a record of it ,is there anyway for me to get a title if i cant get one for this bike ? any and all help is greatly appreciated ! THANKS

RJB
    I don't know about the particular laws in your state, but here in AR they changed the laws and now you have to get a bonded title if you are not the original owner. You have to either take it to the state police so they can verify the VIN or you can pay them to send someone out and check it. I have no personal experience but they say it takes 3-4 weeks to process it and get you the title.
    1973 CB350G
    2002 Ninja 500r
    I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.

Now you know why it was cheap. IMHO you still overpaid.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Some years ago I bought a bike with no title. In fact the seller didn't own the bike. He took in lieu of money owed and never registered it in his name. And never bothered to go get the title. Last tag was '88. I went to the DMV with a bill of sale only. DMV sent me to the CHP. CHP ran the numbers and they were clean. Back to DMV. Hand over $38 and got new plates and a couple of weeks later the title arrived. Your results may vary. The point being go to your DMV and ask them what you have to do. I'm pretty sure they can tell you what you need.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

Thanks for the help guys, the father of a friend of mine is the dmv inspector for our area ,I'm going to get in touch with him today and see what he tells me ,hopefully nothing bad (stolen bike). I've been wanting to build something like this for a few years ,and then this thing shows up out of no where . So fingers crossed!

I used to live in NC, it's not a fun process but I'm sure you'll find that out from your DMv inspector friend.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

doesn't NC have personal property Taxes for motorcycles? you could be staring down a large tax bill for unpaid back taxes - something you may want to ask your insider at the DMV about.

A cb400T without a title should be free - $150 at most if you really wanted it.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Hoof,
    What state was that process in? CA?
    Damn, I thought that would work...

Long story short if you have no title a bonding process is in your future, get it bonded fill out paperwork wait, DMV inspector checks it out file for title pay fee. Make sure you have bill of sale or some paperork notarized. If not go back to seller. You will more than likely need it. Make sure all of your paperwork is right the first time and follow every step exactly like they tell you. It seems like they like to find all your errors. Or have someone in another state get one though their easy process and sell it to you. (at your own risk)
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

quote:Originally posted by mega4ce

Hoof,
    What state was that process in? CA?
    Yeah. I see a lot of posts on various forums about bikes/cars with no title and what to do. I can't speak for the DMV of other states but CA have processes that can sort out most problems. You just have to remember that its their field, their ball and their rules. Follow them, cross the Ts and dot the Is and most of the hassle disappears.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links