How to tune? - Page 2
Close

How to tune?

This is a discussion on How to tune? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; just pure scifi speculation - if there was cheap (<1000$) dyno equipment - do you think there would be broad interest or do you think ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to tune?

just pure scifi speculation - if there was cheap (<1000$) dyno equipment - do you think there would be broad interest or do you think that the Sunday tuner would be too clueless to use the data provided by dyno.
    -

I think there is some inexpensive dyno equipment out there.

Keep in mind a dyno's only as good as what it can measure and record.

For instance the engine shop that built most of my circle track engines bought an ancient water brake dyno that what they'd do was go WOT then load the engine to bring it down to desired rpm and record measurements.

That didn't measure the accelerational effects of lighter engine components or transitional things going on in the carb. In restrospect not much more than a run in stand.

Now my 496 was done on a Superflow 901. The brake was electrically released allowing the engine to gain rpm at a predetermined rate while tracking a/f, egt's, everything. Much more useful.

Here's what I'm saying, your brake release needs to mimic the rpm/sec gain rate the engine will see in use.

Like for airboxes and stuff, chassis dyno mounted in a windtunnel. I think these exist at top secret government facilities. Multliple brake release programs to mimic the rpm/sec rate gain in different gears and at different ground speeds.

I've tried to talk to motorcycle dyno guys about this stuff, one of us has plainly not got it in all these conversations. I don't get the big drum bike dynos unless all this is in the brake program to where the operators don't need to understand it.

I think there is some inexpensive dyno equipment out there.

Keep in mind a dyno's only as good as what it can measure and record.

For instance the engine shop that built most of my circle track engines bought an ancient water brake dyno that what they'd do was go WOT then load the engine to bring it down to desired rpm and record measurements.

That didn't measure the accelerational effects of lighter engine components or transitional things going on in the carb. In restrospect not much more than a run in stand.

Now my 496 was done on a Superflow 901. The brake was electrically released allowing the engine to gain rpm at a predetermined rate while tracking a/f, egt's, everything. Much more useful.

Here's what I'm saying, your brake release needs to mimic the rpm/sec gain rate the engine will see in use.

Like for airboxes and stuff, chassis dyno mounted in a windtunnel. I think these exist at top secret government facilities. Multliple brake release programs to mimic the rpm/sec rate gain in different gears and at different ground speeds.

I've tried to talk to motorcycle dyno guys about this stuff, one of us has plainly not got it in all these conversations. I don't get the big drum bike dynos unless all this is in the brake program to where the operators don't need to understand it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Chassis dyno, (where you connect bike to a big heavy drum)
    are real useful as they can be programmed to different scenario's.
    They do need careful set up initially though, matched airflow for intakes and exhaust extractors if you have a dyno 'cell'

They are also real useful for acceleration and part throttle cruising if you have the correct sensors and software.
    With CV carbs they need to be used at specific engine rpm/load as slides don't lift based on throttle position.
    Main problem is, most operators are not trained to use them in 'diagnostic' mode.
    The other problem as far as I'm concerned, I don't have a spare $30~50,000 to buy one
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Chassis dyno, (where you connect bike to a big heavy drum)
    are real useful as they can be programmed to different scenario's.
    They do need careful set up initially though, matched airflow for intakes and exhaust extractors if you have a dyno 'cell'

They are also real useful for acceleration and part throttle cruising if you have the correct sensors and software.
    With CV carbs they need to be used at specific engine rpm/load as slides don't lift based on throttle position.
    Main problem is, most operators are not trained to use them in 'diagnostic' mode.
    The other problem as far as I'm concerned, I don't have a spare $30~50,000 to buy one
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links