Building a bike from scratch, worth it? - Page 3
Close

Building a bike from scratch, worth it?

This is a discussion on Building a bike from scratch, worth it? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; the problem is....when this stuff used to be cheap and plentiful it was easy to build from "scratch" and have it be worth it if: ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    the problem is....when this stuff used to be cheap and plentiful it was easy to build from "scratch" and have it be worth it if:

- you did a lot of horse trading to get the things you needed

- you knew the bike well enough to know you needed things

- there were enough nuts like you that thought these things were worth saving regardless of value

for some reason brit and american bikes are like that, no matter the actual cash value someone always things they are worth saving. People don't feel that way about all japanese bikes which is why bikes like the GT series of suzukis will always be worth less than the GS750 (except the GT750 which is just too odd to not be special). It may cost you about $4000 to build that GT from scratch and at the end of the day the bike may be worth $1500 at most. Conversly it may cost you $4500 to do the same thing with....say....a BSA A65 and that bike will actually be worth about $4500-$5500.

If you really want to know what it is like to build a bike from scratch - take an existing bike you have and have your wife and kids take it apart and hide the parts around the house. Then once a week they give you clues to where one item is and you can search for it, restore that peice and put it back on the bike. You do not get to pick the order of the parts of clues. yeah, that will feel about the same.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

ta.

muskies: buy the slut. it's "nicer than you'd think it would be". lots of my buys are worse than you'd hoped they should have been, and i still love em.

at least you know the seller won't piss in your pocket.
    BFF of Ken, inheritor of same status with Tex, erstwhile defender of young Kerry, and general village idiot sans village. Glen.

ta.

muskies: buy the slut. it's "nicer than you'd think it would be". lots of my buys are worse than you'd hoped they should have been, and i still love em.

at least you know the seller won't piss in your pocket.
    BFF of Ken, inheritor of same status with Tex, erstwhile defender of young Kerry, and general village idiot sans village. Glen.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

it didn't, I still have it.

NYC is a hard place to sell a bike in the fall. The only guys looking to buy are looking for the $500 honda they can flip for $3K come spring. I admit I am one of those people but at the same time I actually know what I am doing, a lot of these guys are tire kickers at best and the prospect of a triple two stroke that is only worth $1500 in operable condition and needs $350 worth of parts isn't a good enough for a bike they just want to pull money out of.

The only other people who looked at it were guys who wanted to pay $350 for it and part it out. Everyone who has looked at the bike in person says - "wow, it is nicer than I thought it would be".

I think what I am going to do is take a small amount of the profits from the next two bikes I sell and do my best to get it tot he point where a set of tires is all it will need to be a good daily rider.
    We need a "sharpie artist" for that bike
    then sell it for $3000!
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

it didn't, I still have it.

NYC is a hard place to sell a bike in the fall. The only guys looking to buy are looking for the $500 honda they can flip for $3K come spring. I admit I am one of those people but at the same time I actually know what I am doing, a lot of these guys are tire kickers at best and the prospect of a triple two stroke that is only worth $1500 in operable condition and needs $350 worth of parts isn't a good enough for a bike they just want to pull money out of.

The only other people who looked at it were guys who wanted to pay $350 for it and part it out. Everyone who has looked at the bike in person says - "wow, it is nicer than I thought it would be".

I think what I am going to do is take a small amount of the profits from the next two bikes I sell and do my best to get it tot he point where a set of tires is all it will need to be a good daily rider.
    We need a "sharpie artist" for that bike
    then sell it for $3000!
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

I agree. That bike is vanilla just sitting there - being painted white doesn't help. It needs an infusion of character.

something like this might just tick all the right hipster/cafe racer/fauxhemian boxes:

Where the heck is catboy? isn't he a tattoo artist? hey you out there? can you do sharpie badassness like those dudes on BMWs and skylines and lambos? If so I'll send you the tank, the fenders and the sidecovers.

part of me wants to grab the next grafitti artist I see in brooklyn and tell him go to town on the thing. It just needs some character.

- Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

I agree. That bike is vanilla just sitting there - being painted white doesn't help. It needs an infusion of character.

something like this might just tick all the right hipster/cafe racer/fauxhemian boxes:

Where the heck is catboy? isn't he a tattoo artist? hey you out there? can you do sharpie badassness like those dudes on BMWs and skylines and lambos? If so I'll send you the tank, the fenders and the sidecovers.

part of me wants to grab the next grafitti artist I see in brooklyn and tell him go to town on the thing. It just needs some character.

- Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

really should do it.
    if nothing else atleast it would make the bike more fun and i think that it will help sell it
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

really should do it.
    if nothing else atleast it would make the bike more fun and i think that it will help sell it
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

As an investment, it would suck, as a fun project, it would be well....fun. Most of tht big bits are there and if you were planning on fitting rearsets, chambers, different bars etc, that's about all you would have left after you stripped it anyway.

On the cost side of the equation, Jemco spannies are not cheap, neither is a crank rebuild and almost everything you need is available and they are a nice sized bike. Frame needs work though to lift the motor and to shed a few pounds....

If you really want a highly customized 550 two stroke, it's not a bad place to start. If you want a bike that runs or a stock bike, it's an expensive way to do things.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links