Building a bike from scratch, worth it? - Page 4
Close

Building a bike from scratch, worth it?

This is a discussion on Building a bike from scratch, worth it? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; As an investment, it would suck, as a fun project, it would be well....fun. Most of tht big bits are there and if you were ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    As an investment, it would suck, as a fun project, it would be well....fun. Most of tht big bits are there and if you were planning on fitting rearsets, chambers, different bars etc, that's about all you would have left after you stripped it anyway.

On the cost side of the equation, Jemco spannies are not cheap, neither is a crank rebuild and almost everything you need is available and they are a nice sized bike. Frame needs work though to lift the motor and to shed a few pounds....

If you really want a highly customized 550 two stroke, it's not a bad place to start. If you want a bike that runs or a stock bike, it's an expensive way to do things.

I think I'm going to pick it up, I'm unemployed for the winter and have nothing else to do except rebuild a fiat, get 4 other motorcycles running, restore a catamaran and possibly rebuild a type 4 VW engine. I might have a problem with collecting broken crap.

I think I'm going to pick it up, I'm unemployed for the winter and have nothing else to do except rebuild a fiat, get 4 other motorcycles running, restore a catamaran and possibly rebuild a type 4 VW engine. I might have a problem with collecting broken crap.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by muskies666

same boat and trying to get the hell out....lol

I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

quote:Originally posted by muskies666

same boat and trying to get the hell out....lol

I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

What are you rebuilding the type 4 motor for? Take lots of pictures because I have one that needs to be rebuilt too. Probably won't happen this winter though
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

What are you rebuilding the type 4 motor for? Take lots of pictures because I have one that needs to be rebuilt too. Probably won't happen this winter though
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

A friend of mine has one in a 76 camper that hasn't run in a year and my little brother has one in a 77 camper that looks like blown head gaskets and who knows what else. I think the one in the 76 just needs a tune up. My brothers will be pulled and rebuilt. Never worked on a VW before and I hear the type 4s are tricky so who knows how far I will get.

A friend of mine has one in a 76 camper that hasn't run in a year and my little brother has one in a 77 camper that looks like blown head gaskets and who knows what else. I think the one in the 76 just needs a tune up. My brothers will be pulled and rebuilt. Never worked on a VW before and I hear the type 4s are tricky so who knows how far I will get.

Yeah tricky is right for the type 4's good luck

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links