Building a bike from scratch, worth it?
Close

This is a discussion on Building a bike from scratch, worth it? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; This guy is selling a gt550 engine and frame http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/2637907760.html I have a lot of cb450 parts laying around, will this cost a fortune to ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

This guy is selling a gt550 engine and frame

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/2637907760.html

I have a lot of cb450 parts laying around, will this cost a fortune to put together? The only good thing is I can put whatever I want from the salvage yard on it. I have a 94 gsxr 750 front end (overkill) and some other bits. I don't want to pay $400 for it, maybe give him $200. I contacted him weeks ago and he just texted me today asking if I was still interested so he's motivated to get rid of it.

I've always liked the two stroke triples...

Just my .02 but I have bought and given up and bought and completed one basket case. It seems everytime all the bolts are missing, the parts are there but hardly any nuts and bolts, not to mention seems like everyone cuts the wires instead of taking them apart the right way and labeling them. This takes time and moeny to piece nuts and bolts along with rebuilding or buying a wiring harness. Not to mention no one takes one apart just for the fun of it. Something was probably wrong with it. If the reason it was taken apart can be identified you'll be in better shape. Didn't Geet just sell one of these not long ago?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

I am assuming this is just the frame and engine. Not expecting much, don't really need more crap laying around. I can see this thing sitting in my garage for a couple of years before I end up selling it or trading it. Haha. I do like the idea of building a franken bike with good parts from other bikes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I'd snap his hand off but then things over here are twice as expensive. The frame alone would probably sell for $400! I see some stuff on US ebay that it selling so cheap it has me salivating.
    There's companies on ebay now that are selling a full sets of zinc/stainless nuts, bolts and washers for a particular makes and model for around $40, worth a look.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

It depends on your priorities. If you'll find it fun to hunt down parts and figure out how they can go together, if you want the enjoyment of having something totally unique when you're done, if you like the idea of saving parts from ending up on the junkpile, then yea, it's totally worth it.

If you are just looking for a cheap way to ride, no way. It will take you 3X the money and time you expect going in.

Just for comparison;

I sold a running, charging, titled 72 GT550 w/a shitty parts bike for $400 this spring.

This summer got $1400 out of my black one that I rode everyday the year prior(and everyday right up until it left). Which was easily double what I would have given for it.

Guess my point is they're not particularly rare or valuable. Why would you start with one in pieces?

Just for comparison;

I sold a running, charging, titled 72 GT550 w/a shitty parts bike for $400 this spring.

This summer got $1400 out of my black one that I rode everyday the year prior(and everyday right up until it left). Which was easily double what I would have given for it.

Guess my point is they're not particularly rare or valuable. Why would you start with one in pieces?

I only will buy a 'parts bike' for my existing projects in my shop. I just recently purchased a roached out 71 cb750 for 100 bucks that is basically all there and together. Since I have a good parts bin for this type bike and have another 71 project bike - it made sense to pick it up for either restoration or parts. I figured if I wanted to parts out the bike it was worth about 400 to 500 dollars. Certainly most of the little parts that you may be missing for building a project bike like foot pegs or engine mount bolts make this purchase worth while.

Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

I only will buy a 'parts bike' for my existing projects in my shop. I just recently purchased a roached out 71 cb750 for 100 bucks that is basically all there and together. Since I have a good parts bin for this type bike and have another 71 project bike - it made sense to pick it up for either restoration or parts. I figured if I wanted to parts out the bike it was worth about 400 to 500 dollars. Certainly most of the little parts that you may be missing for building a project bike like foot pegs or engine mount bolts make this purchase worth while.

Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

quote:Building a bike from scratch, worth it?
    No. or rather hardly ever. I suppose if you found a one of one frame and were doing the world a service by restoring it then it might be worth it - but you would probably use a donor bike.

I do however buy titled frames on occasion for bikes I want to own eventually in case I find a complete one where the P/O misplaced the title.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links