If I was crazy before... - Page 3
Close

If I was crazy before...

This is a discussion on If I was crazy before... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I dig it....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I dig it.
    "Its amazing what can be done when you don't know you can't do it" Bill Anderson

I am a small dude indeed. About 5'10" and 140lbs.

It's hard for a lot of guys who get their heads around riding a small bike as transportation...but once you do it for a few days, you start to really understand it.

I get flack from guys for the small bikes all the time, but then I look at their bikes and they get ridden only occasionally if ridden at all. I ride my Puch and other small bikes everyday in and around NYC and it's just fun as hell. So it never bothers me.
    My friend Phil has a gorgeous 71 cb750, but rides his CL90 and 64' Honda Cub everyday here too.

It may just be different appreciation for smaller bikes...but those who can't appreciate a tiddler after riding it hard, probably isn't really riding it correctly. As long as I'm living in NYC, I don't think I'll ever have the urge to own a bike larger than 350cc.

I'm not into touring...so a large bike doesn't fit for me in that category. And some say...what about getting a larger bike so your fiancee can ride along?...Well, my bikes are my thing, and she knows that. I don't like riding 2 up with someone just because I enjoy riding bikes by myself and it's my time alone.

Plus...with the small 2-strokes, through the years they've really taught me a lot about engine tuning when it comes to cutting new transfers, porting, flow..etc. I never would have learned half the stuff as easily if it was done on a larger displacement bike since it would have been harder to discern if my new carving into the cases and whatnot did any good or harm. When I was first delving into getting the most out of stock cases and whatnot...I knew within 2 minutes if I screwed up...cause it pretty much made the bike unsafe to ride due to lack of low end power.
    Larry

I am a small dude indeed. About 5'10" and 140lbs.

It's hard for a lot of guys who get their heads around riding a small bike as transportation...but once you do it for a few days, you start to really understand it.

I get flack from guys for the small bikes all the time, but then I look at their bikes and they get ridden only occasionally if ridden at all. I ride my Puch and other small bikes everyday in and around NYC and it's just fun as hell. So it never bothers me.
    My friend Phil has a gorgeous 71 cb750, but rides his CL90 and 64' Honda Cub everyday here too.

It may just be different appreciation for smaller bikes...but those who can't appreciate a tiddler after riding it hard, probably isn't really riding it correctly. As long as I'm living in NYC, I don't think I'll ever have the urge to own a bike larger than 350cc.

I'm not into touring...so a large bike doesn't fit for me in that category. And some say...what about getting a larger bike so your fiancee can ride along?...Well, my bikes are my thing, and she knows that. I don't like riding 2 up with someone just because I enjoy riding bikes by myself and it's my time alone.

Plus...with the small 2-strokes, through the years they've really taught me a lot about engine tuning when it comes to cutting new transfers, porting, flow..etc. I never would have learned half the stuff as easily if it was done on a larger displacement bike since it would have been harder to discern if my new carving into the cases and whatnot did any good or harm. When I was first delving into getting the most out of stock cases and whatnot...I knew within 2 minutes if I screwed up...cause it pretty much made the bike unsafe to ride due to lack of low end power.
    Larry

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

very fun looking ride.
    "This site is bullshit."

very fun looking ride.
    "This site is bullshit."

dig it big time
    if I stepped on a worn out dime I bet you a nickel I can tell you if it was heads or tails

dig it big time
    if I stepped on a worn out dime I bet you a nickel I can tell you if it was heads or tails

A quick update for those that might be interested.

It's been a long week of work on this damn bike.
    A snapped cylinder stud that was a real bitch to get out and re-fill with material to drill and retap... definitely not buying the cheaper studs again.
    Got the disc brake in, mounted that all up. I REALLY don't like the saw blade rotor look, but there is a guy in Arizona who makes these bolt on rotors for the Grimeca 5-star rims...and for the price of the rotor, I couldn't even get it lasercut out from my own SolidWorks drawing file.

Made a caliper mount from 1/2" aluminum plate. Not sure if it's going to work well yet...but we'll see how it goes I guess. I really didn't feel like clamping it into the mill so I just band-sawed and hand filed it out. Not the prettiest, but it'll work. Everything is almost all spaced up good with almost no drag or touching of the pads. Once I get it all figured out, I'm going to make a new stay with the correct offset spacers.

I'm trying to figure out something for the intake...there's not much room to swing the carb out on the left side with frame clearance.

But...other than that, all thats left to do is make sure all the bolts are tight, put the flywheel on, time it, and get the carb dialed on...and it's a runner.

I'm excited to ride this bike now. It was killing me yesterday with a sunny 65 degrees not to be outside carving around.

Some pictures...
    Larry -

Larry

Hey, ped guy!

I'm trying to figure out if any top end ped stuff could swap onto my old Yam YG-1. Can you tell me what the spacing on the Puch head studs is, center to center? Mine are ~49.5 mm, and they're square.

Cool, larry. I'm a magnum man myself.
    Internet arguments are like the special olympics. If you win you're still retarded

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links