A Virago build that's about 93% right.... - Page 3
Close

A Virago build that's about 93% right....

This is a discussion on A Virago build that's about 93% right.... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; quote: Originally posted by UngaWunga Exactly. It might look good from a distance, but those stupid tires means you're just plodding around the neighborhood. The ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    quote:Originally posted by UngaWunga

Exactly. It might look good from a distance, but those stupid tires means you're just plodding around the neighborhood.
    The Bostrom brothers didn't seem to have many complaints about it other than limited ground clearance in right hand turns due to the exhaust system. Granted, their commentary was for a television program and they're both talented racers who could ride the wheels off most anything, but it appeared to be a fine handling machine on the small road circuit they were testing on.

You're wrong, I'm right, so suck it.

You're wrong, I'm right, so suck it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

If you are talking about CR TV you might as well be citing the weekly world news for fair and accurate reporting on congress.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

If you are talking about CR TV you might as well be citing the weekly world news for fair and accurate reporting on congress.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

A Hardley will be more accessible and cost less? For real?

The leading axle forks seem to be in response to triples with nearly 0 offset.

Still a cool bike....
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

Assuming you are joe jackoff with only the ability to bolt shit on and off.....a Harley is def more accessible and cheaper. How? Yo can get an 883 and probably some 1200 sportys for around $2-3k. Sure the bike is more expensive initially, but HDs have THE largest aftermarket of any bike. Plus swap meets and 60+ years of custom and racing parts. And there is new bolt on stuff all the time.

Now if you wanted the 920 built exactly as above sure the bike costs $1000, but nothing there is bolt on, you would have to pay a shop around $80-110 an hour (NY prices) to build it for you. Not counting painting costs, powdercoating, pro upolstry, and the actual parts. It adds up. Building a bike like that only saves you money if you can do the fab work yourself.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Assuming you are joe jackoff with only the ability to bolt shit on and off.....a Harley is def more accessible and cheaper. How? Yo can get an 883 and probably some 1200 sportys for around $2-3k. Sure the bike is more expensive initially, but HDs have THE largest aftermarket of any bike. Plus swap meets and 60+ years of custom and racing parts. And there is new bolt on stuff all the time.

Now if you wanted the 920 built exactly as above sure the bike costs $1000, but nothing there is bolt on, you would have to pay a shop around $80-110 an hour (NY prices) to build it for you. Not counting painting costs, powdercoating, pro upolstry, and the actual parts. It adds up. Building a bike like that only saves you money if you can do the fab work yourself.
    +1 The only thing I dont do it paint and that usually costs more then I initially paid for the bike haha.

Ok I get your point sorta.....but I'm Lee......Joe's that other guy.

In this case, most of the work appears to be taking shit off the bike which is a good thing. The seat is an aftermarket bit you can grab on fleabay and that tank....neat though it is has been done to death. You can still however pick one up for under a hundred if you look. Paint and powder would run you some but not more than $500 for a pro to do it, at least here in P-town. I have no doubt a NY shop is gonna charge more just to cover overhead.
    I don't see why this bike couldn't be built as shown for maybe $3000 including the base bike if you do the labor yourself on most of it. If you are paying someone else....well that's a different story and likely to push $6000 I suppose. Luckily most of us on this board wouldn't have to cop to that.

I agree with Unga, dump the tires for something more sporty and fitting (and a decent rear rim), a little engine and suspension tuning, pipes with better placement and ride the shit out of it.
    And not be a follower while you're doing it.

edit: ok...and some fenders......
    re-edit: sigh....edit to fix typos and leave typos in the edit. dumbass
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

That mojave tank has a very small tunnel. It doesn't bolt on to anything except maybe a cb350 stock. to fit you will either have to mod the tank or the frame, and that requires welding. Also the mounts are not conventional mounts for it so there is that fab as well. Its not hard work and it is fine if you know how to weld/fabricate stuff, and to someone with your skill level Lee it is probably a good 3 hours in the shop. But to "that other guy" that is $150-$200 for a tank and then $300 to mod it to fit from a shop charging NY rates. That is provided that other guy didn't screw something up trying to do it himself first (there is a guy using one on a DOHC cb750 here in NY, he literally cut the frame in half by accident trying to get that tank to fit and is now paying stupid money to have a local shop undo all that cutting and make the tank work - I want to say he has probably spent $1000 on making that sucker fit by now, that is just the tank).

Seat, that is fine. Actually can you show me the link on ebay cus I really like it and want to use one on a project I have going. But the subframe to mount the seat is a couple hours work fabbing. To you lee it is maybe 2 hours on a saturday, to that other guy it is another $100 for the seat and then $200 for someone to make the subframe. So I am approaching the $1000 mark and all I have figured out is a tank and seat. If I had a harley, I could spend $1000 on a tank and seat that will bolt on directly and I could have it in a matter of days.

I am not slighting the original bike posted, it is very nice. I just think the takeaway message is that unless you are a fabricator or a millionaire - your results may vary and also if all you want is something to cruse around on, there are better values for the money.

- Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links