Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Page 2
Close

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

This is a discussion on Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; quote: Originally posted by TSwami I love motorcycles and Philosophy and if you read it just as a motorcycle book you're missing it. It does ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    quote:Originally posted by TSwami

I love motorcycles and Philosophy and if you read it just as a motorcycle book you're missing it. It does speak to some of the things we experience in owning motorcycles and working on them but it wasn't written as a motorcycle feel good book. It is really a study of rationality and a work towards a "right" attitude and improvement of self. If you aren't used to reading philosophy you'll miss some of the finer points but that shouldn't stop you. Its a good book.
    See, that is how I caught it on the first pass and I really dug it for that reason. I'll probably go back and re-read it now that I've read his second book "Lila."
    “I love all kind of motorcycle. But especially I love cafe. Hmm, not cafe, just racer.”
    ~Shinya Kimura

If you want to read some philosophy books just say the word. Really you don't even need any recommendations just look at some of the classics and read them if you haven't alreay. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is the possibly the most read philosohpy book with like 5 million copies sold.

Check out The Republic, Plato's Symposium, Plato and a Platypus walk into a bar etc.

One of my favorite books and the beginning of modern philosophy is The Prince by Machiavelli. A must read for anyone in management or politics. And its pretty short.

"It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles."
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

...good at putting people into the right frame of mind for tackling jobs that would otherwise seem daunting. ...somehow the message always comes clear: there is pride in ownership of the work you do, small tasks lead to confidence which leads to bigger tasks, and there is no need to be overly ambitious - just tend to what needs tending to at the time it needs it or slightly before.
    Yep. I adore the whole monologue on Quality, what it is that frustrates 20th C. people, and that they are by and large ignorant of it - a state that is mirrored in his son. So difficult to find the source of that long-endured pain, and how rewarding. Relates easily to motorcycling.

Salinger is a fucking pimp. Can't say enough. I also love Steinbeck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Steinbeck is my favorite author bar none. I used to think Kerouac was the deepest dude on the planet...then I turned 25. Tried to read a lot of his stuff again and it just sounds like an alky bitching that he never made it as big as his literary friends. Camus was one that seemed to improve as I aged and could understand more. It's a good thing that my high school english teacher encouraged books outside of Pilgrims Progress and Ethan Frome.
    \"I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.\"http://www.hogsbreathcycles.com/

18-32 seem to be the age when "zen" strikes the loudest. There are outliers but you have to be in a frame of mind that is searching for your identity for it to resonate. Neither pirsing not Kerouac is a hack, the fans have made these books larger in reputation than they really are but they are still solid works in their own right.

Generally if you are looking for philosophy in the beats, it is burroughs or nothing. Ginsburg and Kerouac are not people I would generally seek life advice from. Branuaghan is pretty good (a confederate general from big sur) - but remember, fiction is not philosophy.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

You guys ever read a book thats been translated into english?

give it a shot: Bolano, Grass, marquez, murakami
    Internet arguments are like the special olympics. If you win you're still retarded

total sidenote I always had trouble with that book cause I dont really like the zen crap in it I found myself skipping to him wrenching on the bike on the side of the road.. Anyway "Shopcraft as soulcraft" is a lovely read you should all check that out
    if I stepped on a worn out dime I bet you a nickel I can tell you if it was heads or tails

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    I read 'Zen' about 25 yrs ago, took almost 2 yrs to get through first two chapters.
    I'm having the same problem with 'Shop-craft as soul-craft'
    The beginning's are so boring I can't get past them
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Shop class is a little too preachy - at least in the beginning.

Buckets, 100 years of solitude and red and black are two of my favorites.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I just finished shop class.
    He uses a lot of big words. I know them all, but they seem unnecessary. Good book, overall, though. Same shit I'vebeen preaching for years, though, so felt like I was reading my own shit edited by a an overzealous thesaurus fanatic.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links