Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Page 3
Close

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

This is a discussion on Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; it is a bit preachy and he does use big words..but as a whole the point he drives across is well said..I used to teach ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    it is a bit preachy and he does use big words..but as a whole the point he drives across is well said..I used to teach woodshop at the nyc high school I am currently teaching at and it got axed due to budget concerns..its sad actually..Honestly though we should all read shopcraft as preachy as it is its still pretty great

on a literary note

1. Bukowsi
    2. Hemingway
    3. Fante
    4. Ames
    5. Steinbeck (non fiction only)
    6. Burroughs
    7. London
    if I stepped on a worn out dime I bet you a nickel I can tell you if it was heads or tails

You're really missing out if you don't like Steinbeck's fiction imho.
    \"I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.\"http://www.hogsbreathcycles.com/

Before it was ever on oprahs book club, east of Eden changed my world view on literature.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Absolutely Geeto. For me it was Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday.
    \"I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.\"http://www.hogsbreathcycles.com/

Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors of all time. Tortilla flats, baby.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

Hated "Grapes of Wrath" in high school, and was unwilling to read Steinbeck thereafter.
    Loved my 100 level Philosophy class 15yrs ago (flunked it), and hated my 200 level course last year (aced it).
    Motorcycle books (like motorcycle movies) are mired in the "outlaw myth", and consequently, I think most of them suck. What has made "Zen... " so enduringly popular, is that it isn't a motorcycle book at all. I tried to read it a couple yrs ago, and just found it tedious & boring (perhaps the mental illness core of the book hits too close to home?). I'll try again, eventually - and fail, at least one more time.
    The only motorcycle book I really dug was "Jupiter's Travels", which I consider as much a musing on life as a memoir of a fantastic motorcycle trip.

As for "Shop Class..."...
    I haven't read it (would like to), but face it, we live in a society that doesn't value those who work with their hands - ironic, since so many affluent men seem to spend their leisure time as amateur woodworkers (but try to get 'em to pay you to refinish the hardwood floors they're unable or unwilling to refinish themselves).
    I never enjoyed the oil bath air cleaner on my old Plymouth in high school (heavens, I not even old enough to know about oil bath air cleaners), but I gained some satisfaction by servicing it, because the engine ran properly when I was finished, and the car got me where I wanted to go... or replacing every stinkin' wheel cylinder... or troubleshooting a 6-volt electrical system.
    I gain some moderate happiness from working on the bikes. I do it for the same reason I bake - I like to eat well. I have motorcycles because riding them brings me peace, and because of the motorcycles I favor, the work is necessary. Baking a pie, or a loaf of bread, brings me peace in the same manner, meaning I mostly want to enjoy the fruits of my labor (I want to eat well). Believe it or not, my main interest in racing is the same pursuit of peace, not the pursuit of speed or victory, and deep down I doubt many of you racers would disagree, nor would Pirsig, or Hemmingway, or Steinbeck. I think deep down, all these writers are talking about a level of self reliance, ability, and a firsthand connection to their environment (the ability to have some degree of control over one's environment) which has been rapidly slipping away since the late 40s (hmmm... end of WWII).

Holden Caulfield is a whole 'nother subject, and requires his own thread.

Judey's off to cook his own dinner, and crack open another beer.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

bcr
    Cool thread. I agree with Geeto's assessment regarding the age and sensibility you bring to a work like this. I first read it as a green college kid and it really worked for me then. That was 33 years ago, sheit. Took "Travels with Charlie" on a surf trip to Mexico, that is a perfect travel book. For me, Steinbeck's writing develops a cadence, and captures the vibe of being out in it. And he's funny. On Bucket's translated list I would add Umberto Eco. For the ability to convey meaning in a philosophical as well as scientific way take a look at Freeman Dyson's Infinite in all Directions. My two cents. Cheers, bcr

I was wrong..I forgot how much I loved cannery row

but the best steinbeck is the epilogue/epitaph to ed ricketts in the back of "sea of cortez"

its the best..read it if you havent
    if I stepped on a worn out dime I bet you a nickel I can tell you if it was heads or tails

the winter of our discontent

I had to read Hemingway about the same time I had to read Faulkner, and the two are irrevocably linked in my head. Maybe not entirely fair to Hemingway, but man, does Faulkner suck. I'd rather read the worst pulp fiction than read "As I Lay Dying" again.
    "This site is bullshit."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links