workshop advice needed
Close

workshop advice needed

This is a discussion on workshop advice needed within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; alright guys, need some advice from those of you which are 'urbanly bound'. tired of only working on my bike in nice weather, and house/garage ...

workshop advice needed

alright guys, need some advice from those of you which are 'urbanly bound'.

tired of only working on my bike in nice weather, and house/garage isn't in the cards anytime soon...not going to be moving far enough out of the city for something affordable any time soon...so what kind of alternatives have you guys found? A few of you were running storage/workshops if I recall? any input on setting that up?

When i lived in Montreal, i always taken first floor appartement.
    Last one was on Ontario street near Chez Clo with a basement.I made a little "workshop" in a corner.
    I was able to get the bike in and out with a 2"x10" 10 feet plank.
    Marc
    honda cb350 1973
    suzuki gs1000 1978

Have you looked into a garage? When I lived in downtown Denver I was able to rent one close by for cheap and month to month. If you do it in your house, buy some rubber floor mats from a gym on Craigslist.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Philly, NYC, Baltimore....etc....all have buildings where people share space. Some are organized to run as a business where they will have a common work area, and also an area for winter storage, etc......

Look for one of them.

Cheers,

Tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

of course, i just keep mine in the house, garage, basement, etc......

with all that space i not need to keep one in the bedroom anymore (2 flights of steps).
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

yea, I have a ground floor apartment right now with a 10ft by 10ft terrace, fine for the summer...not so great for the winter.

been looking for a garage, but 'reasonably priced' isn't the best. I was actually thinking it might not be a horrible venture to buy up one of the (many) empty factory spaces around, and having a common work area....just not sure what i'm getting myself into (I can't be the only one who still likes working on stuff without being an idiot/honda civic junky...but their money is just as good at paying bills...)

thanks for the input guys

Since you have a 10X10 terrace, would the apartment manager object to one of these:

You can get them in smaller sizes, the picture is just for reference. Then put an electric heater in and you might be good to go.
    Then when the better weather comes around knock it down and put it away until next year.
    Just a thought.
    If you beat me all you have done is beaten an old fat guy. But If I beat you then you have been beaten by an old fat guy!

I considered it - rather much....

the damn hippie/painter types need to stop laying claim to all the good industrial space..

quote:Originally posted by sdurand76

I considered it - rather much....

the damn hippie/painter types need to stop laying claim to all the good industrial space..
    Not sure if you mean rather much as in "expensive" or as "may be a good idea".
    Just noticed that you are in Montreal, here's a link to a 10X10 shelter from Crappy Tire:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
    Here's a link to the stores in your area, but I figure you alredy know where one is:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/storeloca...re_locator.jsp
    If you beat me all you have done is beaten an old fat guy. But If I beat you then you have been beaten by an old fat guy!

There's a former transmission repair shop within walking distance of my house. The shop has been empty for almost a year. I'm thinking about contacting the leasing company and offering them $200 a month to use a little space for projects. I'm sure they want a lot more, and want to lease the entire thing, but $200 a month is better than nothing.

The worst they can do is say no.

Sponsored Links