Coast to Coast
Close

Coast to Coast

This is a discussion on Coast to Coast within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So I'm riding from California to the East Coast in August. Any tips and routes to head through? I want to try and keep it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coast to Coast

Coast to Coast

So I'm riding from California to the East Coast in August.

Any tips and routes to head through? I want to try and keep it in two weeks.

I have to stop in Syracuse, NY. But the rest is open.

Hi Geets. Yes, I'm finally going Stateside.
    That's like, your opinion, man.

quote:Originally posted by Big Bad Bob Dog

So I'm riding from California to the East Coast in August.
    Car? MotorCycle?
    "Its amazing what can be done when you don't know you can't do it" Bill Anderson

Motorcycle. My cb500/4. It may not be done, but the mad dash is about to begin to get it finished. Then she's crated and sent.

There's [u]allot </u> of stupid in riding my honda 500 across the states in a less than touring form, but hell. Why not.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by Big Bad Bob Dog

Motorcycle. My cb500/4. It may not be done, but the mad dash is about to begin to get it finished. Then she's crated and sent.

There's [u]allot </u> of stupid in riding my honda 500 across the states in a less than touring form, but hell. Why not.
    CB 500/4 Ouch! I am sure you will be keeping us posted as you get closer to your departure. It’s something I have always thought of doing on a Stelvio or GS of course[^].

"Its amazing what can be done when you don't know you can't do it" Bill Anderson

August? Keep to the northern routes, around the top of the Rockies. As cool as riding through death valley sounds in August, pretty much all of the southwest is going to be miserable - like riding into a blast furnace. It is a real shame since if going cross country the southwest is usually not to be missed, but a desert in August is just stupid.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Def do PCH and San Fran if you can. I would advise going up all the way to Seattle before turning right and heading east but you at least need to make it past Stinson beach in northern Cali.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I'd actually recommend looking at the ADV forum for a ride like that.

I definitely agree with not using a southern route, such as riding straight East from LA. That takes you through some long hot stretches and you miss the whole Pacific coast. Crossing the Rockies will be fun when you're at elevation as the bike will be running very rich. Going North-er may put you in line with Yellowstone and maybe Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse, plus you can stop at Wall Drug and get your free glass of water.

If you run further south, I'd try to pass through Kansas, as opposed to Texas (hot, dry) or Nebraska (boring). Better sights to see on the way, like Dodge City if you're into silly cowboy stuff. The Flint Hills are infinitely better than the Nebraska corn fields.

There is a lot of flat windy stuff in the middle, but it gets better when you get past the Mississippi River.

It would help to know your entry and exit ports, ie LA to NYC or whatever.

I suppose you could just read the Zen book backwards. You'll likely have the wind at your back so that's nice.

Above all else, stay in cheap hotels where the wireless is free, then post pics for the rest of us.
    Dictated but not read.

I've done this trip myself but it was in the spring and I ran into snow in Colorado - you will not have that problem. I would invest in the following items: Tank bag, saddle bags, GPS and I'd add a small fairing to the front of the bike. Make sure you bring basic tools with you. I'd make sure your seat is comfortable because your ass will feel it on the 2nd day. With stops - two weeks sounds about right. I believe Sturges is Aug 7th time frame - that would be a must stop. Most important - get yourself a good quality rain suit and boots good in the wet. This form has folks all over the country that would be more than willing to provide, a cot/shower and food followed with a few beers. And if you don't contact me when you get to Syracuse, I'll hunt you down and kick your Ar'se...
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

haha of course I will Bob. Also, i'm bringing my secret weapon. Sheep skin thrown on the seat. Fuggin ugly, but Christ nothing is comfier.

So I'm still figuring the shipping. But it's either LA or San Fran as a port I'd be starting from.

My big concern is getting the bike registered on an American plate. I have nightmares of getting to the DMV and them vomiting on me.

From there it's organizing a bike for my pal Shawn who's doing the trip with me. So if anyone wants to get rid of a cheap reliable steed around then in one of those cities I'm all ears. He was thinking XJ1300. We'll see. I want him to ship the Bonnie he built. Would they like this at Sturgis?

Also, I've just found out tonight, theres no if or buts, my father is coming as well. So there will be a bagger amongst us. (Totally will use his panniers).

I think y'all hit it on the head. I really would love to go up the Pacific. I've spent half my life looking out of the East Coast of Aus missing home, it would be awesome to look back all the way.

Sturgis would be awesome. Dad's been, Shawn would lose his shit (hippy commune motorcyclist for 22 years).

I would love to see Boston then, then head to NYC. It would be cool to have a beer with everyone along the way.

Saw that guy on ADV rider go through on his 500/4. Clubmans and mid controls and everything. I'm feeling better about it already.

I think my old man has it in his head that hotels are the name of the game. Shawn and I are bringing a swag it seems.

if youre doing syracuse.....boston may be out. unless you plan on doing some serious zig zag. where do you leave from. i guess thats the real question. you could leave from boston. that would be perfect. a ton of boston locals here. be a great way to finish up the trip. a stop by box shop to check out a race. or a uscra event. im pretty sure there would be a ton of people to meet if you did that.

have fun, good luck. get phone numbers!!

j

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links