Cafe Racer Forum banner

Saying hello

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  oilburner 
#1 ·
I've been lurking here for a little while now, and decided to register. My name is Mark, I'm in upstate NY. I've got a cycle and hot rod fab shop, most of my customers are custom guys, but my secret interests are in cafe and board/dirt track styled bikes, so looking through the photos here is cool. I've done a couple small jobs on a couple Early 70's Ducaties but thats about it at the shop. This seems like a pretty cool place to hang out, so I hope to meet some good people here. Looks like a ggod place to broaden my horizens! Anyone going to the Super swap in Syracuse this coming weekend? Mark. (midnightoilworks.com)

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

#5 ·
Rods and board trackers, eh?

I am located just East of Albany, NY, up in Taborton (A place you'd never find by accident). I share your interests as I've been building anything and everything that ever raced or was run on the streets over the past 16 years.

I am still up in the air as whether to do a 500 Triumph hard tail bobber, I have the original Tricor hard tail section and the frame, so that's a good start. I just had some back surgery and at first I was simply offing anything ancient that I had, but I really want a cool and different bobber, even if I only ride it on short toots. Besides, that'd be a very cool bike to have in the bed of my Model A pickup ratrod. BTW, I found what is supposed to be a good 48' Merc' engine and trans' for $600 (the trans is worth that). I think for this summer, I'll get the Model A on the road, stock, with that 40hp 4 banger powering it, and then next winter tear it all down, box the frame, Z the rear of the frame 10 to 12 inches, move the front end out in front of the frame on a dropped perch, channel the body 6 to 8 inches, and chop the top 3 inches. Somebody told me I could use the "A" rear end in it if I didn't abuse it too much, but I'd have to change the original 4:11 gears to the new after-markey 3:41's you can buy. I've got to look into some kind of a juice brake conversion for the mechanical brakes on the A. I want to use the original spoked 21 inch wheels as I've seen A pickups dropped with these skinny wheels and they look really cool. I really like working with this real old iron over the coupes that I've done in the past as they are so elemental to work on. Should be fun.

What are your bike and rod projects?

Regards and Welcome,
Dgy

#6 ·
Super Swap... it's about the biggest indoor show and swap in the northeast. It's at the State fair grounds this weekeend (feb 11 and 12). Everything from show bikes, race bikes (restored and current) to old parts and new parts. I'll have a both showing off my work, first time out for us. It's a good show, if you can get there you should. We have the link to the show on our home page.
As for my own projects, I have a 71 TR6 that's torn apart that will be a shop build sooner or later, built to look like something out of the 30's. We'll get pics of what we're going for up soon. If anyone makes it to the show, look us up and introduce yourself! Mark.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.