Sprocket combo questions
Close

Sprocket combo questions

This is a discussion on Sprocket combo questions within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey guys, I have a 77 Kawasaki KZ650 project that I am working on making a "Street Tracker" with it. Stock the bike has a ...

Sprocket combo questions

Hey guys, I have a 77 Kawasaki KZ650 project that I am working on making a "Street Tracker" with it. Stock the bike has a 16T up front and a 42T out back, I will be using the bike for city riding commute and going back and forth to work as well as weekend dirt roads so top speed isn't really needed per say, my thoughts were to change the sprocket setup to get more grunt down low, Looking at a calculator if I go to a 15T-44T combo I will generate 10.5% increase in torque dropping that same % in top speed. (If that logic isn't correct please correct me) When I raced MX I used to swap out front sprocket quite often depending on what track we were at, but was more about being changing rev's for different tracks, never really did the math on what would be gained or lost, and have never done a front and rear swap.

What do you guys think, will this be enough? to much? Thought with the vast knowledge here this would be as good as any place to ask. Thanks.
    Opinions are like ass holes, everyone\'s got one.

I would just get a few different sized front sprockets and keep the stock rear. Far easier just to change out a front and see whether you like it or not.

Can you explain the math you're using to see this 10.5% increase in torque by just a simple sprocket change? This would really come in handy.

Thanks,
    Craig

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by craig641

Can you explain the math you're using to see this 10.5% increase in torque by just a simple sprocket change? This would really come in handy.

Thanks,
    Craig
    http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/

Makes no matter, I am just goin to pickup a 15T and a 14T for the front and see which works best.

Thanks for the help hillsy not sure why I had it in my head to change the back.

Cheers.

The sprockets you are talking about are aggressive. I would just get a couple of rears and expirement like that. Dropping a front tooth is like dropping 3 or 5 off the rear.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I ran a 15 in the kz650. Was too low geared, honestly.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

Ok, well guess I'll grab a 15T see how it goes, and leave the idea of the 14T on the cutting room floor. I'll test the 15T and if I find it's to low geared I'll start working on the rear and go back to the 16T up front. Like I said though getting over 70mph will be very rare, but I don't want to make 1st gear a useless gear either, just more grunt for getting from 0-50mph as quick as possible. Thanks again for the help.

Sponsored Links