Shameless Self Promotion - Page 2
Close

Shameless Self Promotion

This is a discussion on Shameless Self Promotion within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Grant, the last time you showed up here you didn't come with parts, you were showing off a bike. Said bike drew criticism because rather ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Grant, the last time you showed up here you didn't come with parts, you were showing off a bike. Said bike drew criticism because rather than take the time to engineer an improved bike, the bike you built looked like you ran around and grabbed elements off every form over function bike. Clearly we were not your audience but you did not know that as you were new to this end of the hobby. words were had, we tried to help, but in the end you picked up your toys and went elsewhere.

that being said - I do like the parts you make now, I feel they fill a niche.

it isn't that you have to tread lightly - it is just that you need to understand where you are. the majority of people here are racers, engineers, designers, shop owners, and others related to the motorcycle industry. In many ways having access to this much collective talent can be a useful tool if you understand that anytime people here see a functional flaw with your parts they are going to tell you and not pull any punches. the may also ask you to scientifically justify decisions you have made on certain parts (like the velocity stacks - there is a science to those you know, it isn't just make a bell shape). ca va?

to that end I say welcome back.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

and here is your first crisicism:

the smoothie valve adjustment caps you make for the cb750, they need some hidden way for a person to loosen them off a hot engine. I can't tell if they are knurled on the side or not but still - valve adjustments are part of owning a cb750 and sometimes those caps need to come off when the engine is hot. The stock ones usually don't come off easy after 100 heat cycles with a wrench so not giving them a purchase could be a problem. maybe two hidden pin holes and a pin hole tool would work?
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

and here is your first crisicism:

the smoothie valve adjustment caps you make for the cb750, they need some hidden way for a person to loosen them off a hot engine. I can't tell if they are knurled on the side or not but still - valve adjustments are part of owning a cb750 and sometimes those caps need to come off when the engine is hot. The stock ones usually don't come off easy after 100 heat cycles with a wrench so not giving them a purchase could be a problem. maybe two hidden pin holes and a pin hole tool would work?
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Nice looking parts - I like the idea for the tank. If your looking for new parts to create - how about a replacement oil/battery assembly for a honda cb750's. Better yet make a whole assembly kit consisting of the oil tank, battery mount and mount for the electronics with side covers. You could start marketing them on ebay (like joker) with a link to your web site.

The parts your making now are nice but it's nickel dime stuff that everyone now makes. I wish you success..

Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Nice looking parts - I like the idea for the tank. If your looking for new parts to create - how about a replacement oil/battery assembly for a honda cb750's. Better yet make a whole assembly kit consisting of the oil tank, battery mount and mount for the electronics with side covers. You could start marketing them on ebay (like joker) with a link to your web site.

The parts your making now are nice but it's nickel dime stuff that everyone now makes. I wish you success..

Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

bmartin

If you look at our bike we did just that. We are working on offering said item's. The issue is we want to make it so you don't need serious fab skills. Our battery is mounted under the swing-arm. If you look really close you can see a small black box. That is our battery. We also made out own wiring harness. I did some cool stuff with the wiring harness. If you look on the non-drive side of the bike just above the carbs you will see the dimmer switch from older car. That shuts the power to the bike off. Then if you look really close on the buckets you will see a little black dot btwn the gauges. That is our start button. We have no key or kickstart. This something we would consider doing as well. But the issue's are; labor intensive = cost prohibitive. I don't think most people would pay what we need to charge. We are keeping all of our manufacturing here in the good ole U.S.A. We are a bit of control freaks and I feel it's the only way to fix a problem before it becomes one. We also are making triple trees that will steepen the front-end and shorten trail a bit on these bikes. Better for the turns. Trees will be available for new USD and stock forks. The issue with that then becomes the swing arm. Which you can see a rendering of on our website. We are working on making a new one with Sealed roller bearings and our own swing arm bolt made from Stainless Steel. In computer testing the swing arm has done well. It's also about 3.2lbs lighter than stock. We just need to make it and find the guinea pig who wants to test it.
    We also have a very cool pair of Carbon Fiber Clip on's in the works.
    I am friends with some very high-end carbon fiber manufactures here in the U.S. They made some special tubes for us that are reinforced at the clamping areas. Hope to have samples for the show.

quote:Originally posted by bmartin

Grant Salter
    [email protected]
    www.cafefabrications.com
    http://cafefabrications.blogspot.com/

bmartin

If you look at our bike we did just that. We are working on offering said item's. The issue is we want to make it so you don't need serious fab skills. Our battery is mounted under the swing-arm. If you look really close you can see a small black box. That is our battery. We also made out own wiring harness. I did some cool stuff with the wiring harness. If you look on the non-drive side of the bike just above the carbs you will see the dimmer switch from older car. That shuts the power to the bike off. Then if you look really close on the buckets you will see a little black dot btwn the gauges. That is our start button. We have no key or kickstart. This something we would consider doing as well. But the issue's are; labor intensive = cost prohibitive. I don't think most people would pay what we need to charge. We are keeping all of our manufacturing here in the good ole U.S.A. We are a bit of control freaks and I feel it's the only way to fix a problem before it becomes one. We also are making triple trees that will steepen the front-end and shorten trail a bit on these bikes. Better for the turns. Trees will be available for new USD and stock forks. The issue with that then becomes the swing arm. Which you can see a rendering of on our website. We are working on making a new one with Sealed roller bearings and our own swing arm bolt made from Stainless Steel. In computer testing the swing arm has done well. It's also about 3.2lbs lighter than stock. We just need to make it and find the guinea pig who wants to test it.
    We also have a very cool pair of Carbon Fiber Clip on's in the works.
    I am friends with some very high-end carbon fiber manufactures here in the U.S. They made some special tubes for us that are reinforced at the clamping areas. Hope to have samples for the show.

quote:Originally posted by bmartin

Grant Salter
    [email protected]
    www.cafefabrications.com
    http://cafefabrications.blogspot.com/

How much does the aluminum tank cost by itself, for a one off if someone supplies a foam blank?

How much does the aluminum tank cost by itself, for a one off if someone supplies a foam blank?

I took a stroll out to your web site - I was unaware you guys were ripping out parts like on your project bike. Kind of makes me jealous not having high-end machining tools to work with myself. I like the under the seat exhaust idea - that looks pretty trick. It would be interesting to hear what that sounds like. I also liked the wheels you guys are making - again looks pretty trick.

On my 69 cb750's, I am keeping my mods to bolt-on's. Since it's unlikely I'll sell these bikes in the near future, I like to keep my options open to restoring the 69's back to original. However; I do have a 71 cb750 project I'll be tearing into this summer and a couple of cb400/4's. I might be interested in some parts for the 71 project and maybe the cb400/4's.

Right now I'm working on a 77 kz900, 69 cb750 turbo and I just picked up a 84 cr500 death machine for ice riding. My motra is if it don't scare me then it's for sale...
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links