Am I out of line in my thought process? - Page 3
Close

Am I out of line in my thought process?

This is a discussion on Am I out of line in my thought process? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; You were most likely one of 20 people that walked into that shop that week for the exact same reason. You don't see that but ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    You were most likely one of 20 people that walked into that shop that week for the exact same reason. You don't see that but that shop owner does. The small mom & pop MC shops are dieing a slow death. They survive on selling things like tires and maintenance items with services. So if you think this guy is an A-hole, then maybe you should spend a 70 hour work week with the owner and see if you could pay your own monthly expenses on the amount of profit he took in for the week.. I can well understand the owners attitude when you have some gub-ber walk in off the street with a tire to mount for a $20 dollar fee.

I'd almost bet a month's salary you would end up being a bigger A-hole if you did a one-week internship with that shop. That small shop cannot survive without people spending money there.

Just today, I ordered 60 dollars in parts with a local shop that I know I could have saved 20 dollars if I had ordered them on line. I'm not rich but I do understand business.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

My brother has an independent "Harley Only" shop. He will not mount a tire he does not sell due to the possible liability. If he sells you a tire and it fails, he has a chain he can go back on for recourse. If you bring in a tire, he mounts it and it fails causing injury or death, the lawyers will go after anyone they can. He also charges to mount tires he sells, which I didn't understand until I changed a tire on a big twin. It takes A LOT more time than a car tire.

The car tire store I use charges $12 each to mount my snow tires. This year they asked if the tires I needed mounting were new or used. If they are new tires they charge at least twice to mount them. I think they got sick of mounting tires purchased from Tire Rack.

I always try to buy my tires, batteries, oil, etc. from the local bike shop down the street. Lots of times they can't get what I need, like points for a puch magnum or a battery for an Aermacchi, or skinny tires, but I always ask them first and it pays off. They will fill and charge that battery I bought elsewhere since they couldn't get it, or mount those tires. Yesterday I wanted to order a puller for a Puch flywheel, but they couldn't figure out which one I would need, so they let me borrow ALL their pullers to find the right one. Took it back the next morning with a box of donuts and they know which puller to order. Actually I don't buy much from them because I have all old stuff, but I always stop and ask.

The internet is great, but it pays to buy local if you can. Of course, some folks, local or internet, are real cranky pants SOBs anyway. He could have explained the liability issue, etc.

My brother has an independent "Harley Only" shop. He will not mount a tire he does not sell due to the possible liability. If he sells you a tire and it fails, he has a chain he can go back on for recourse. If you bring in a tire, he mounts it and it fails causing injury or death, the lawyers will go after anyone they can. He also charges to mount tires he sells, which I didn't understand until I changed a tire on a big twin. It takes A LOT more time than a car tire.

The car tire store I use charges $12 each to mount my snow tires. This year they asked if the tires I needed mounting were new or used. If they are new tires they charge at least twice to mount them. I think they got sick of mounting tires purchased from Tire Rack.

I always try to buy my tires, batteries, oil, etc. from the local bike shop down the street. Lots of times they can't get what I need, like points for a puch magnum or a battery for an Aermacchi, or skinny tires, but I always ask them first and it pays off. They will fill and charge that battery I bought elsewhere since they couldn't get it, or mount those tires. Yesterday I wanted to order a puller for a Puch flywheel, but they couldn't figure out which one I would need, so they let me borrow ALL their pullers to find the right one. Took it back the next morning with a box of donuts and they know which puller to order. Actually I don't buy much from them because I have all old stuff, but I always stop and ask.

The internet is great, but it pays to buy local if you can. Of course, some folks, local or internet, are real cranky pants SOBs anyway. He could have explained the liability issue, etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Re-reading this thread it makes some interesting points. I was thinking if, in this day and age, the tires are bought online can't they be mounted online?
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

Re-reading this thread it makes some interesting points. I was thinking if, in this day and age, the tires are bought online can't they be mounted online?
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

I've gladly turned away 'easy' business for all the reasons pointed out here. I do try to do it kindly which it sounds like perhaps he didn't......but.....after a long day with one too many problem customers I can see where it could be really tough. I imagine it woulda been easier to take had he explained, that's usually all that's needed.

But....it did motivate you to get the tools and learn to do it yourself and that's cool.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

I've gladly turned away 'easy' business for all the reasons pointed out here. I do try to do it kindly which it sounds like perhaps he didn't......but.....after a long day with one too many problem customers I can see where it could be really tough. I imagine it woulda been easier to take had he explained, that's usually all that's needed.

But....it did motivate you to get the tools and learn to do it yourself and that's cool.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

http://www.blackcircles.com/

I don't know if they do bike tyres, but it seems like a pretty novel idea.

http://www.blackcircles.com/

I don't know if they do bike tyres, but it seems like a pretty novel idea.

I do things everyday that don't seem worth my time, it's part of business. Sometimes it develops a relationship that pays off later. Sometimes it is just a waste of my time. You seldom know right away.

But you watch, the successful business owners, the ones with money falling out their ass, they never turn business away without at least trying to reframe the situation to where it makes sense for them.

The "I don't have time for that" guys are usually bumblefucking their way through life struggling to pay rent.

All that cliche customer service bullshit turns out to be true.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links