Am I out of line in my thought process? - Page 5
Close

Am I out of line in my thought process?

This is a discussion on Am I out of line in my thought process? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I have a story to contribute... It happened last year and I reported them to the BBB. This is what I posted to Facebook and ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    East Lansing/Georgetown, Michigan/Kentucky, USA.
    I have a story to contribute... It happened last year and I reported them to the BBB. This is what I posted to Facebook and some local reviews.

I recently experienced the worst customer service of my life. Here’s the (full) story.

Myself:
    I am a full time student Mechanical Engineering at Michigan State University
    I own a Saab 95
    I usually do all of my own mechanical work, but being at school makes for no time or resources to work on my own things
    My girlfriend is from California
    The shop mentioned is University Foreign Car, located in East Lansing, MI (I wouldn’t normally tarnish a companies reputation by mentioning their name, but this is a quite extreme scenario).

My car had an oil leak that I had not had time to address during the school year, so over spring break I was going to fix them. However, I decided to plan a trip to fly to California with my girlfriend, pick up her car, and drive it back to Michigan. My mom, being the nice lady she is, decided to handle taking my car to the local foreign car shop and getting it fixed. There was some confusion and lack of communication between the shop, my mom, and me, and we were trying to figure out what we could justify spending on the car.

When I got back to Michigan (one week later), I stopped in the shop to grab a couple skateboards out of my trunk. As I was taking things out, the owner approached me and asked me to sign the bill. There was an unexpected charge on the bill, so I called my mom before I signed it. She was confused as well, so I had her speak with the owner. Everything up until this point had been fine; just another run of the mill repair with a little miscommunication, but everyone was being polite. He started speaking to my mother and started actually yelling at her. Claiming that if I did not sign the paper, he was going to call the cops on me for abandoning property. to clarify, the bill was only $200 and I was not abandoning my car. My car is worth way more than that anyway. My mom continues to speak politely, requesting him to wait one moment while she spoke with my dad. He continues to yell and tell us that we were being a pain in the ass and more difficult than his larger repairs. He even complained that I was “making” him wait outside (in 50 degree weather and he had a jacket on).

He then started yelling at me and at this point I was completely confused. I, being the completely respectful person that I am, never raised my voice and tried to figure out what was causing him to blow up. After another threat to call the police, I agreed to sign the bill, then he went inside. I followed him and asked to speak with another employee that would speak to me politely. He told me “they work for me, you can speak to me.” I apologized for any confusion and told him I still wanted the repair, but he shouldn’t speak to me like that. He called me “boy” and yelled at me condescendingly.

Part of the conversation

Me, “Just because I am young does not mean you can speak to me like this.”

Him, “You have some kinda complex, boy? (kept yelling)”

Me, “Because I want to be spoken to in a normal manner, that means I have a complex?”

He kept yelling, I left.

My dad called shortly after to try to figure out what was going on. He proceeded to tell him that he “needs to learn how to control his wife and son.” That is not something my dad will take sitting down, so he flew off at the mouth threatening to come down there. They continued to argue and I am unsure of what was said. After that my dad made go back and pick up my car and pay the bill. Then the owner refused my debit card and made me go get cash. We mutually completed the transaction and he went and pulled my car around (he locked it up in the gated area after I left).

During this whole thing, I never raised my voice or spoke disrespectfully. I have never had an adult react this way to me. He even wrote on the bill that my dad threatened him and that we are never to be served again. This whole incident came without warning and left me and my family completely dumbfounded. I can’t fully explain how this man was talking to us. My girlfriend was there and her jaw was dropped the whole time.

To top it all off, I paid $200 in diagnostic fees (that were going to be waived after the repair) and all they did was change the headlight bulb. This was entirely uncalled for and the only way that he was stayed in business all these years is due to praying on unknowing college kids with foreign cars. Absolute worst customer service of my life; I have never felt so disrespected.

I know that this is only one side of the story, but under no circumstance, is this ever excusable. We were polite and willing to pay. This is not how you run a business.

Easier than tire irons:

Jim

Easier than tire irons:

Jim

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by Diamondj

Easier than tire irons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6sH8WRl6yI

Jim
    Shit! I am going to try that! Did the front after work, cursing away took me about 25 min to take the old one off and get the new one on.

Will try the bag method on the rear.
    Opinions are like ass holes, everyone\'s got one.

quote:Originally posted by Diamondj

Easier than tire irons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6sH8WRl6yI

Jim
    Shit! I am going to try that! Did the front after work, cursing away took me about 25 min to take the old one off and get the new one on.

Will try the bag method on the rear.
    Opinions are like ass holes, everyone\'s got one.

What in the Sam Hill? - It takes 10 minutes a tire to change and 5 minutes to balance one. Go buy a set of spoons and a valve core removal tool. 20 dollars and you'll never have to be humiliated by some jag off shop monkey again.

trepann's tire tips:
    1.) use lotsa spray soapy water
    2.) heat rubber a little bit in the sun (or with a heat gun if you live in Canada)
    3.) pull tube out before demounting tire from rim
    4.) take your time until you become proficient
    5.) A little air in tube will prevent tire iron from pinching and popping it.(ask me how I know)

Don't be one of those guys that need someone else to change their rubbers and balance their rims.
    or - says that couch time with the ball and chain is more important than developing a rightous man skill.

What in the Sam Hill? - It takes 10 minutes a tire to change and 5 minutes to balance one. Go buy a set of spoons and a valve core removal tool. 20 dollars and you'll never have to be humiliated by some jag off shop monkey again.

trepann's tire tips:
    1.) use lotsa spray soapy water
    2.) heat rubber a little bit in the sun (or with a heat gun if you live in Canada)
    3.) pull tube out before demounting tire from rim
    4.) take your time until you become proficient
    5.) A little air in tube will prevent tire iron from pinching and popping it.(ask me how I know)

Don't be one of those guys that need someone else to change their rubbers and balance their rims.
    or - says that couch time with the ball and chain is more important than developing a rightous man skill.

to: "thelen60"

Is the above post satire? We've got your mom, your girlfriend, your dad and a couple skateboards?

Your daddy threatened to go down there but he wound up telling you to go down there instead with the money to pay the man. Ha!

My advice to you, before it's too late, is to trade in your girlfriend for a nice middle aged stripper from Cedar Rapids, sell your mom to the Taliban, report your dad to the cops for molesting your little brother and you . .

You need to enlist in the merchant marines or something. Your life is going to come to a big fat zero unless you learn where your freaking nutsack is.

Jesus, you generation zero dudes are about the androgynous of it all, eh?

I can't believe you posted your facebook complaint to the BBB (what is that?)on this website. I just threw up in my mouth.

Say, you got a picture of your girlfriend?

to: "thelen60"

Is the above post satire? We've got your mom, your girlfriend, your dad and a couple skateboards?

Your daddy threatened to go down there but he wound up telling you to go down there instead with the money to pay the man. Ha!

My advice to you, before it's too late, is to trade in your girlfriend for a nice middle aged stripper from Cedar Rapids, sell your mom to the Taliban, report your dad to the cops for molesting your little brother and you . .

You need to enlist in the merchant marines or something. Your life is going to come to a big fat zero unless you learn where your freaking nutsack is.

Jesus, you generation zero dudes are about the androgynous of it all, eh?

I can't believe you posted your facebook complaint to the BBB (what is that?)on this website. I just threw up in my mouth.

Say, you got a picture of your girlfriend?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Sponsored Links