Am I out of line in my thought process?
Close

This is a discussion on Am I out of line in my thought process? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; A little back story, I live in a small City in SK about 8,000 people, we don't have any motorcycle "dealers" per say, but have ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

A little back story, I live in a small City in SK about 8,000 people, we don't have any motorcycle "dealers" per say, but have one independent that has the gear to change balance and true motorcycle rims, I bought a front tire from him for my Harley Davidson FXDB last year and had him put it on. Well I have an old '78 KZ650 that I am working on and I wanted to put "dirt track style" tires on it. The tires I wanted are made by Vee Rubber, and are not distributed in Canada, so I hit the internet and order them through a US importer, no biggy great price. Anyhow I get the tires and take the wheels off my KZ, take them down to the independent and ask if he can swap the rubber and balance the wheels, he says to me "I sell tires I don't change them" I told him that I would have bought from him but he wouldn't have even been able to get these tires for me, and he said "he didn't want the excersize" I hadn't even said anything about price or what he would charge, he could have made it worth his while, I wouldn't have even cared.

Anyway I said ok and walked out holding back the urge to tell him what I thought of his failing business. It blows me away when people simply turn work away, I'm in my 30's and own multiple bikes, have bought tires from him in the past, and now he has pretty much turned me off ever getting anything from him ever again. Over a lifetime of bikes for myself and my son that could add up to a decent amount of change, not to mention the people I will tell to not set foot in this place. In the end I thought "What a prick" I'll just break out the tire irons and change the rubber myself I guess, and hope the tires are within a decent balance. Am I wrong in thinking this way?
    Opinions are like ass holes, everyone\'s got one.

nope. i hate assholes like that. especially guys that dont want to lift a finger to help you until you pull out a wad of cash, then they are all on their p's and q's.
    ask me about my ADD or pie or my cat. a dog. i have a bike. Do you like TV? i saw a rock. hi.

nope. i hate assholes like that. especially guys that dont want to lift a finger to help you until you pull out a wad of cash, then they are all on their p's and q's.
    ask me about my ADD or pie or my cat. a dog. i have a bike. Do you like TV? i saw a rock. hi.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

If I was in my 30s I'd have felt embarrassed bringing tires to someone to change for me. It only takes a couple of minutes to change a tire. Especially a tubeless.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

If I was in my 30s I'd have felt embarrassed bringing tires to someone to change for me. It only takes a couple of minutes to change a tire. Especially a tubeless.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

I am fortunate that I have friends with equipment who will change and balance for me. Same shops won't always do it for walk-ins off the street, it is a liability issue - if there is a defect in the tire and you crash, they don't want to be entangled in the lawsuit that may follow.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I am fortunate that I have friends with equipment who will change and balance for me. Same shops won't always do it for walk-ins off the street, it is a liability issue - if there is a defect in the tire and you crash, they don't want to be entangled in the lawsuit that may follow.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

quote:Originally posted by Hoofhearted

Guess it depends on what your time is worth, I work during the day, and when I get home at night I like to spend it with my wife and son, so paying someone $35-$50 to change tires that might eat up 30min to an hour of my time is well worth it to me.

In this case though I think I am just going to buy a balancer say Fuck it and do them myself from now on. I'll have to change the rear on my Harley sometime this spring anyway so between the three tires it will pay for the balancer. I just hate wrestling with tire irons.

Guess it depends on what your time is worth, I work during the day, and when I get home at night I like to spend it with my wife and son, so paying someone $35-$50 to change tires that might eat up 30min to an hour of my time is well worth it to me.

In this case though I think I am just going to buy a balancer say Fuck it and do them myself from now on. I'll have to change the rear on my Harley sometime this spring anyway so between the three tires it will pay for the balancer. I just hate wrestling with tire irons.

Ha!
    Done it as a 14 year old with 120 MC rubbers...wouldn't do a 180 road tire though. I bet Youtube has some DIY vids.
    Then again, a 90/90 road tire with tube- rather pay someone

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links