Greenhorn from Ohio... - Page 2
Close

Greenhorn from Ohio...

This is a discussion on Greenhorn from Ohio... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Same size as my 350, huh? Hooooey do those 350 brakes fade though. I put a decent set of Ferrodo's on there, they may just ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Same size as my 350, huh? Hooooey do those 350 brakes fade though. I put a decent set of Ferrodo's on there, they may just be glazed.

Everything's in storage right now. Stupid winter, stupid apartment living. I'll check it out this weekend when I get over this damned flu and can get to the garage without hacking up 13 lbs. of lung butter the second I step out into the cold.

Thanks for all the advice.

Honda go sideways!

quote:

Out of curiousity, can you give an example how too much brake covers up for sloppy technique? I'm of the belief that there is no such thing as too much brake if brake weight is not a penalty. If you can carry the rear wheel into a turn then you are mostly likely going to outbrake the guy next to you....I don't see a down side. Now overusing a powerful brake just slows you down...or over using any brake for that matter, but that's not covering up sloppy technique...that's just adding to it.
    Granted a powerful brake might help some people compensate for less than proper turn entry, or help some people that have the hp to blast down the straight and then back everyone up coming into a corner.....ok...I guess I do see your point
    JohnnyB

Johnny,

When I followed car roadracing and motorcycle Time Trials, I noticed a funny behavior when guys upgraded their brakes - say you had this gy who had a sloppy line and ended up braking later in the turn than he should have, he would always blame the brakes as not being adiquate and begin the upgrade when the real cluprit was a sloppy line. Basically he was distracted by his inability to slow the vehicle to realize that his line was off, so rather than improve his line he would just try to stop better. I agree, the best brake possible when weight is not a penalty but brakes should not be the primary focus of setting up for a corner entry.

"Granted a powerful brake might help some people compensate for less than proper turn entry, or help some people that have the hp to blast down the straight and then back everyone up coming into a corner" this was really my main point in the comment but also that most people focus too much on braking power and not enough on suspension balance and proper line, it is an easy scape goat.

Well....I'd say for 90% of the people out there a better brake is just that...a better brake, allows you to brake later and harder. Since you should have your braking done in most cases BEFORE you turn in your line through the corner shouldn't be affected by your brakes. The proper line determines your turn in point, the effectiveness of brake determines your braking point.

I just don't see much opportunity for a good brake to allow riding any sloppier than a bad brake...a rider typically has a set tolerance for corner speed and they will slow down to that point regardless of braking power...they will start braking sooner with a poor brake, later with a good brake. Either way then end up in the same ball park of corner speed because that's their limiting factor.

A good brake will allow someone to get themselves out of trouble if they consistantly follow the wrong entry line into a corner...but that's by no means the fault of the brake...it's the fault of the rider. You don't remove a good brake to cure a bad habit...you just have them work on the bad habit. A better brake in my opinion is ALWAYS a plus...now whether the rider can use it or not is a whole seperate issue. All things considered I'd still rather see a crappy rider with a good brake than a crappy rider with a bad brake.
    JohnnyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

HEY WAIT A MINUTE!!!! shouldnt you nic be KrapScratchFever
    and I have to agree with geetoo ,there are alot of sloppy porsche carerra drivers( tons here in Fl) with those massive Brembo brakes and very sloppy driving.. rich bastards!!!!!

Edited by - LiLBull on Feb 25 2006 10:44:03 AM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links