Greenhorn from Ohio...
Close

Greenhorn from Ohio...

This is a discussion on Greenhorn from Ohio... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Just found this forum tonite while Googlin' for parts. I've been riding for about 5 or 6 years I guess, and still proudly own my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greenhorn from Ohio...

Just found this forum tonite while Googlin' for parts.

I've been riding for about 5 or 6 years I guess, and still proudly own my first bike (though she's a little torn apart at the moment): a stripped-down CB350 back-alley-bomber with rear sets, clubman bars, bump-stop seat, 2-1 Hookers, 28mm Mikunis and a good ol' Hap Jones lung transplant. Best damn bike I've ever ridden....

Just this week I picked up a swamped '68 CB160 and I intend on goin'a-racing. I've got some friends who race ahrma and I'm sick of sitting around all winter watching them have all the fun pissing away $$$ trying to make 30hp.

On that note, I'm just getting started collecting parts (and I probably should search before I ask) but what's your opinion on going with the CB450 front end? That wee-little 160 brake hub doesn't look like it'll do much of anything and the forks are shot. Water Buffalo? Dream on. T500? I hear they're prone to cracking. Any other junkyard options? How well does the 450 triple tree mate up?

Honda go sideways!

JD
    Welcome!

You'll find a lot of CB350 fans here if you need help.

In regards to the brake question, look in the Technical forum. There have been many conversations surrounding these specific brakes and which is best. jbranson is our resident drum brake guru and has tons of good info.

JD

In regards to the brake question, look in the Technical forum. There have been many conversations surrounding these specific brakes and which is best. jbranson is our resident drum brake guru and has tons of good info.

JD

Sweet. Thanks.

Honda go sideways!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Krap...hehe,

Actually the CB160 is a pretty good little brake when it's tuned up a bit. Same size as the CB350...but a better design. It's 180mm not a bad size at all. Probably the best choice is the Honda 305/450 brakes, 200mm good design. I use a T500...I have a couple of them, while none has cracked they are a bit flexible...a fine brake for a small bike like a 160 but still a bit of overkill.
    The GT750...totally unnecessary..would probably actually give you slower laps times...you won't use nearly all it has to offer and you'd be carrying and extra 12 lbs of weight.

The CB160 with a good set of arc'd shoes, something like Vesrah...or even race compound will provide plenty of brake except for heavier riders. If you are 160 lbs or less and the bike is down below 250 lbs then it would be fine. If you are bigger and the bike is heavier you'll want one of the 200mm brakes. Honda 305/450, T500, Yam 650, Kawi 500 etc.
    JohnnyB

quote:
    Krap...hehe,

Actually the CB160 is a pretty good little brake when it's tuned up a bit. Same size as the CB350...but a better design. It's 180mm not a bad size at all. Probably the best choice is the Honda 305/450 brakes, 200mm good design. I use a T500...I have a couple of them, while none has cracked they are a bit flexible...a fine brake for a small bike like a 160 but still a bit of overkill.
    The GT750...totally unnecessary..would probably actually give you slower laps times...you won't use nearly all it has to offer and you'd be carrying and extra 12 lbs of weight.

The CB160 with a good set of arc'd shoes, something like Vesrah...or even race compound will provide plenty of brake except for heavier riders. If you are 160 lbs or less and the bike is down below 250 lbs then it would be fine. If you are bigger and the bike is heavier you'll want one of the 200mm brakes. Honda 305/450, T500, Yam 650, Kawi 500 etc.
    JohnnyB

I have to agree with branson on this the GT750/550 4LS brake is overkill on any bike smaller then a 500cc two stroke or a 750 4 stroke. If you are campaigning a norton or triumph 750/650 those are heavy bikes and their stock brakes were barely adiquate for their girth, a GT750 drum is just a poor mans girling or grimeca and more up to slowing those race bikes where a drum brake is required for the class, same thing with a kawi triple or any other heavy two stroke where a drum brake is required.

Putting a gt750 brake on a small bike like a cb350 or 450 is not only adding unnecessary weight but also a coverup for sloppy riding technique and improperly used can do more harm than good.

I have observed in vintage racing that there is this subtle mentality that guys need a drum brake even when not required to really get the expirence of vintage or should be running one just because everybody else has one. So there are bikes that can run a disc in their class running a drum (like cb450s). For the best weight savings disc will always beat drum, and the stopping power is more controlable even if there is less overall brake force. I believe where you can run a disc in your class you should and just focus on improving your riding technique.

I don't know, I've seen some guys running 350 supervintage with close to 60hp that can use a GT750 brake...or better yet a disk.

Out of curiousity, can you give an example how too much brake covers up for sloppy technique? I'm of the belief that there is no such thing as too much brake if brake weight is not a penalty. If you can carry the rear wheel into a turn then you are mostly likely going to outbrake the guy next to you....I don't see a down side. Now overusing a powerful brake just slows you down...or over using any brake for that matter, but that's not covering up sloppy technique...that's just adding to it.
    Granted a powerful brake might help some people compensate for less than proper turn entry, or help some people that have the hp to blast down the straight and then back everyone up coming into a corner.....ok...I guess I do see your point
    JohnnyB

i don't know. for cheap money i ended up with my waterbuffalo drum setup. it is alot of brake... fuck it . i like it.

you know what they say.. big brake... big ____!!

matt

JD
    quote:
    i don't know. for cheap money i ended up with my waterbuffalo drum setup. it is alot of brake... fuck it . i like it.

you know what they say.. big brake... big ____!!

matt

I think it's the same thing as saying, big feet.....big shoes

JD

or big head, big helmet, huh jd?

tex

I MAY HAVE A PENIS COMPLEX.... SO I NEED A BIG DRUM TO PROVE MY MANLINESS

MATT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links