BMW people
Close

BMW people

This is a discussion on BMW people within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I want to buy an older BMW this year for a commuter/ light touring bike. I was thinking one of the R75 bikes. I don't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW people

BMW people

I want to buy an older BMW this year for a commuter/ light touring bike. I was thinking one of the R75 bikes. I don't care about the styling or how collectable it is although I like the looks of the toaster tank ones. Are some more reliable than others? More parts for certain ones?

I guess what I am asking is which ones should I be researching? I am 5' 10" 180lbs and I am thinking in the $3000 range.

Not set on the BMW for touring around the northwest so if you have a better idea let me know.

I hear from just about every one of my friends that the /6 and later are better bikes. They usually tell me this any time I consider buying a /5.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I hear from just about every one of my friends that the /6 and later are better bikes. They usually tell me this any time I consider buying a /5.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I'm thinking parts availability will be a big thing too. I have a great BMW shop here but not so sure about finding stuff in the middle of nowhere.

I'm thinking parts availability will be a big thing too. I have a great BMW shop here but not so sure about finding stuff in the middle of nowhere.

Bob's BMW can sell you everything you need. just be willing to spend. It is all out there for airheads.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Bob's BMW can sell you everything you need. just be willing to spend. It is all out there for airheads.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

For long distance touring, go with an R90/6. Pretty much the same chassis as a R75, but a few more horsies and an extra gear in the gearbox.

No real advantage to the R75 that I know of, except that some R75s came with the neato toaster tank. You can put a toaster tank on a R90, but to make it fit, you have to move the master cylinder from the frame tube to the handlebars.

If you get an R-bike, check the final drive ratio shown on the rear hub, and make sure the ratio is suited for your intended use. For a long open-road tour I would want the 34/11 hub (the tallest ratio available). If your tour will involve a lot of mountains (a tour of colorado), maybe a 33/11 would be best. 32/10 is good for around town, and short tours. I think there is a lower ratio, too, for sidecar bikes.

For long distance touring, go with an R90/6. Pretty much the same chassis as a R75, but a few more horsies and an extra gear in the gearbox.

No real advantage to the R75 that I know of, except that some R75s came with the neato toaster tank. You can put a toaster tank on a R90, but to make it fit, you have to move the master cylinder from the frame tube to the handlebars.

If you get an R-bike, check the final drive ratio shown on the rear hub, and make sure the ratio is suited for your intended use. For a long open-road tour I would want the 34/11 hub (the tallest ratio available). If your tour will involve a lot of mountains (a tour of colorado), maybe a 33/11 would be best. 32/10 is good for around town, and short tours. I think there is a lower ratio, too, for sidecar bikes.

My touring will probably have plenty of mountains. Friends in Denver, San Fran, Salt Lake, Portland and Vancouver, BC. Seems like every direction out of Boise is mountains. The R90 bikes pop up now and then around here but there seems to be lots of R75 models starting at $2000.

A few up right now:
    http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/2907066336.html
    http://boise.craigslist.org/mcd/2821651458.html
    http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/2848654816.html
    http://boise.craigslist.org/mcd/2821672015.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links