Back to Hondas and back to CRnet
Close

This is a discussion on Back to Hondas and back to CRnet within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I have been away too long. The old TX500 project made it as far as a tear down, then got interrupted and consequently spread across ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have been away too long. The old TX500 project made it as far as a tear down, then got interrupted and consequently spread across the world via ebay. I still have the motor, carbs and some misc from it.

Just picked up a good running CB360 a couple days ago for my daily this season. No chopping this time! Maybe some lower bars, but that's it. I call it "Half-Dub" because a friend said it sounds like my impression of an air cooled VW.

Everything seems to work fine on Half-Dub except the front brake. Nothing happens there. I attempted to bleed it last night, nothing. Fluid looks dirty so I went to flush it out, but it seems to be pulling dirt up instead of pushing new fluid down. Searching led me to discover these calipers both leak and seize frequently. I think I'll just ditch it and replace the whole system with something newer.

Which brought me back to Caferacer.net. One of you hozers has probably done this already. I can't tell you how hard I've laughed today reading through posts! I'm just going to have to leave the forum up in it's own window from now on. Maybe I'll even contribute!
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-k...on%2520pan.jpg<div align=\"left\">The stable, not including pedal bikes: 1970 Bridgestone 175 Hurricane Scrambler, 1973 Kawasaki Z1, 1975 Honda CB360.</div id=\"left\">

get vacu bleeder from harbor freight. hooks to your compressor. those things take forever to bleed with the lever. i mean FOREVER!!!

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

get vacu bleeder from harbor freight. hooks to your compressor. those things take forever to bleed with the lever. i mean FOREVER!!!

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by 73tex
    I have been away too long.
    We'll be the judge of that.
    The old TX500 project made it as far as a tear down, then got interrupted and consequently spread across the world via ebay.
    Oh, for Christ's sake. Wasn't that bike a runner?
    I still have the motor, carbs and some misc from it.
    I expect these to arrive at my home via FedEx no later than Friday.
    Everything seems to work fine on Half-Dub except the front brake. Nothing happens there. I attempted to bleed it last night, nothing. Fluid looks dirty so I went to flush it out, but it seems to be pulling dirt up instead of pushing new fluid down. Searching led me to discover these calipers both leak and seize frequently. I think I'll just ditch it and replace the whole system with something newer.
    For God's sake, man. You attempted to "flush" the system and then gave up? A $30 brake bleeder http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-In-1-Brake...0c21bc&vxp=mtr (and maybe some new seals) and you would be back in business. Learn how to fix your existing system first, then maybe later you can start thinking about how to change them and/or adapt a newer system.
    Maybe I'll even contribute!
    Unless we ban your sorry ass for ruining a perfectly good TX500, and being too weenified to fix your brakes.

I have been away too long.
    We'll be the judge of that.
    The old TX500 project made it as far as a tear down, then got interrupted and consequently spread across the world via ebay.
    Oh, for Christ's sake. Wasn't that bike a runner?
    I still have the motor, carbs and some misc from it.
    I expect these to arrive at my home via FedEx no later than Friday.
    For God's sake, man. You attempted to "flush" the system and then gave up? A $30 brake bleeder http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-In-1-Brake...0c21bc&vxp=mtr (and maybe some new seals) and you would be back in business. Learn how to fix your existing system first, then maybe later you can start thinking about how to change them and/or adapt a newer system.
    Maybe I'll even contribute!
    Unless we ban your sorry ass for ruining a perfectly good TX500, and being too weenified to fix your brakes.

Or get a 20cc syringe, a 6" piece of clear hose, some plumbers tape for the bleed nipples and bleed your brakes in 5 minutes for next to nothing.

Or get a 20cc syringe, a 6" piece of clear hose, some plumbers tape for the bleed nipples and bleed your brakes in 5 minutes for next to nothing.

quote:Or get a 20cc syringe, a 6" piece of clear hose, some plumbers tape for the bleed nipples and bleed your brakes in 5 minutes for next to nothing.
    Yes. This is how we bled mountain bike brakes at the bike shop. I wondered how big a syringe I would need for a motorcycle though, since you run the risk of bubbles if you have to take the syringe off to refill.
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-k...on%2520pan.jpg<div align=\"left\">The stable, not including pedal bikes: 1970 Bridgestone 175 Hurricane Scrambler, 1973 Kawasaki Z1, 1975 Honda CB360.</div id=\"left\">

quote:Or get a 20cc syringe, a 6" piece of clear hose, some plumbers tape for the bleed nipples and bleed your brakes in 5 minutes for next to nothing.
    Yes. This is how we bled mountain bike brakes at the bike shop. I wondered how big a syringe I would need for a motorcycle though, since you run the risk of bubbles if you have to take the syringe off to refill.

When you pull the syringe off, fill it, and put it back on, pull some fluid back through it to get the bubble out of the line. Just like if you're mainlining heroin. Keep the syringe vertical to keep the bubbles up near the plunger. Any medical supply shop will have good sized syringes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links