Looking for good new helmet/reasonable priced - Page 4
Close

Looking for good new helmet/reasonable priced

This is a discussion on Looking for good new helmet/reasonable priced within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; um....jag....by their very nature a helmet cannot be both SA and M, since M is a lesser standard than SA. Do you know how the ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    um....jag....by their very nature a helmet cannot be both SA and M, since M is a lesser standard than SA. Do you know how the ratings work? or is this one of those conversations douchebag german car enthusiasts have "trackside", and by trackside I mean at the impromptu car show in the big lots parking lot in lynbrook.

from soloracer.com:
    ----------------------------------------------
    Snell SA Rated Helmets:
    Snell "SA" (Sports Application) rated professional helmets are designed for auto racing and provide extreme impact resistance and higher fire protection.

Snell M Rated Helmets:
    Snell "M" (Motorcycle) rated helmets are designed for motorcycling and other motorsports. They offer slightly less protection than SA rated helmets.

What are the key differences between SA and M Rated Helmets:
    SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
    SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
    SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets aren't street legal).

How do I know if my helmet meets the necessary Snell specifications?
    Always check your club rulebook to determine what helmet specifications they require. Most clubs seem to allow you to use the current Snell specification, as well as the previous Snell specification. So, in that case, for the 2011 season, you could use Snell M2005/SA2005 or Snell M2010/SA2010 rated helmets. Snell M2000/SA2000 helmets would not meet requirements after October 1, 2010. Bottom line... read your rulebook carefully.

Also, be sure that your club will allow the use of Snell "M" rated helmets. SCCA Solo does allow these helmets, although some organizations that run high speed events will require Snell "SA" rated helmets.
    --------------------------------------------------------

so really your question is: are there any Street legal (DOT approved) SA Snell helmets? The answer is yes.

However knowing where you live and the events you go to I can tell you englishtown and the autox events local to us will let you run an M Snell helmet.

as near as I can tell this is a DOT SA Snell helmet:
    http://www.racedaysafety.com/zamp-fs...05-h22005.html

so is this
    http://www.soloracer.com/rcisahelmet.html

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I get what I want and never worry about the graphics crap - 99% of it I don't like anyway - except for the Bell, Roland Sands Designs. (RSD)

I have been re-doing my racing helmets for a while. This is an M2010, (AHRMA legal) Bell Vortex -

I get what I want and never worry about the graphics crap - 99% of it I don't like anyway - except for the Bell, Roland Sands Designs. (RSD)

I have been re-doing my racing helmets for a while. This is an M2010, (AHRMA legal) Bell Vortex -

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by FR

noisy and poor ventilation, and the visor system isn't great.
    I completely agree. My CL-15 whistles, although I cannot find any gaps, and it fogs regularly.

I've never had those issues with Shoei.
    Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles. It makes me take another look. - S.M.

quote:Originally posted by FR

noisy and poor ventilation, and the visor system isn't great.
    I completely agree. My CL-15 whistles, although I cannot find any gaps, and it fogs regularly.

I've never had those issues with Shoei.
    Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles. It makes me take another look. - S.M.

i recommend get professionally fitted if you are going to experiment with different brands.

arai is the only thing i wear....and it ain't reasonably priced....but i only have to put down the cheddar every few years for a new one.

cheers,

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

i recommend get professionally fitted if you are going to experiment with different brands.

arai is the only thing i wear....and it ain't reasonably priced....but i only have to put down the cheddar every few years for a new one.

cheers,

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

I have always been a Bell guy but last year I went abought myself a Scorpion750, its literally the best helmet I have ever owned hands down and for the price it cant be beat...
    http://theglassboot.blogspot.com/

I picked up a Zox helmet from http://www.ZoxOutlet.com last year and I love it. This an amazing helmet for the price.

the old saying still applys.. "10 dollar helmet , 10 dollar head"..

I have had BELL TOURSTARS for years,Wearing SHOEI now and liking it. Great venting ,fit and weight for me..

Watch the age of any helmet even those sold 'new' in the box. Heat and humidity will break down the open cell foam padding, rendering it unusable for proper fit...

(that's not dandruff,that's just foam powder!!)

This goes for helmet's that are used alot too..also if I'm remembering correctly, an age limit of use is set and may be subject to inspection by most santioning bodys..
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Sponsored Links