New Chicago Guy
Close

New Chicago Guy

This is a discussion on New Chicago Guy within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey guys, what's up! I've been lurking here for about a month now, but I just got my new bike today, so I figured I ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Chicago Guy

New Chicago Guy

Hey guys, what's up! I've been lurking here for about a month now, but I just got my new bike today, so I figured I would finally introduce myself.

My name is Vince, I'm 27, and I've been riding since I was 13. My first bike was a 1978 Yamaha DT100E Enduro, which I just restored a bit and sold in the past week. Friends of mine have let me borrow their rockets for a season, but I finally just bought my own first "full-size" bike, a 1980 Honda CB750F Super Sport.

I picked it up and rode it home today for $500. The bike is in really great shape for the age, has a clean title, and rides great. He also had the original 2-Up seat and stock taillight, rear fenders, and a Clymer manual! I just need to do a head gasket on it, which won't be a problem at all. It's a heavy beast compared to what I'm used to, but I can't remember the last time I was so damn excited about anything in my life.

Now, it's not exactly a Cafe Racer, but I have been told that certain things about it, along with certain things I'm interested in doing it are in the CR style. I can say that just checking out the Project Builds has inspired me so much already! You guys have some amazing bikes here, I mean it.

Enough babbling... Here are two pics that the last owner took. I'll be adding many more as I clean her up and bring her back up to spec =)

Take care!
    Running Photobucket Album for my 1980 CB750F SS Project
    http://www.photobucket.com/jesterscb750f

quote:Originally posted by JesterMasque

Now, it's not exactly a Cafe Racer, but I have been told that certain things about it, along with certain things I'm interested in doing it are in the CR style.
    so gay......

ok so here is what you want to do. You want to go to cb1100f.net and get real familiar with the classified there. These are the parts you want:

- European Sport kit foot peg set
    - brake calipers and mounts from a 1981 or 1982 cb750F/cb900F
    - Kehin CR carbs or a stock airbox with a K&N filter in it
    - a decent set of shocks (stock cb900F, vipex, ohlins, etc)
    - turn signals. not the stock ones.
    - a pair of the stock side covers.

it is a shame the previous owner ruined the bike with that cheap as shit vietnam seat. The stock bodywork had real superbike racing cred and could have been made to look the business with a taillight tuck, fender chop, and LED setup. Instead you have something that looks like it was re-purposed off a 1970's Schwinn. It isn't ugly per se but it tries to make the bike "older" looking than it is which automatically lumps you into hipster douchebag territory.

psst....it is not a style, if you look at it from a purely aesthetic angle you will end up with a bike that won't "work". If you genuinely try to improve how the bike functions, you will end up with it looking how you want anyway.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I fully understand the douchebaggary associated with the flooding of "cafe racer culture" these days. I've read too much about it on here and seen how you guys converge on it like white blood cells to an infection lol. Trust me when I say that I want to do this thing right, and by right, I mean to have function and form that I will personally enjoy.

I actually just registered at CB1100F.net and started reading on there in the past hour or so; I see a lot of great stuff on there as well. I appreciate the list you gave me! I can see that I have a LOT more reading to do on mods for this bike. To be honest, I was dead set on an early to mid-70's CB650 because it's what I grew up with my dad having. But this thing just kind of jumped out at me, especially for the price and proximity to home, so...

Just to kind of go down the list:
    - Been trying to research foot pegs vs rearsets, etc all morning. Thanks!
    - Is this for function or form? I already have dual disc in the front and the brakes in general do an amazing job just driving on the street...
    - I'll look into it! It already has Kehin carbs on it, I'm just not sure if they are the CR's or not. It's going to be fun either way, though, because I've only ever worked on Mikuni my whole life.
    - Rear shocks? What's wrong with them? They are the famous FVQ adjustable (so I've read).
    - Not sure if I want turn signals. Not needed in Illinois to ride and, actually, every bike I have ever ridden on the road was lacking them so I have gotten quite used to hand signals while riding.
    - Again, not sure if I want the side covers. I want to put the stock seat on (the current one is nice support on the rear, but I agree it looks kinda...not ugly...just, frumpy I guess, on top of having junk construction), take off the Euro style fairing and see how it looks naked. Not exactly a function thing per say, so I'll run some trial and error and look at a few thousand more pictures until I figure out what I like on it.

Input appreciated, however, on all levels! You're obviously really knowledgeable, so I'll take anything you say to heart.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Also, it has come to mind that this may not be the place for me with this particular bike in mind, but the sheer beauty of the machines on this forum keeps me hanging around.

Dude, if your bike works and you plan on making it work better you belong here.

Raask makes rearsets for the bike but they work and fit like 1970s parts. The sport kit was made to homologate the part for prodiction racing. There is a bar that goes with it but you don't need it. This means they are designed by Honda engineers and work as such. They are not as high and tite as the raask but the bike is so long and heavy you don't need the full race tuck.

At some point you may want to consider the cb600f2 wheel swap.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Brakes: 1981-82 cb750f/900f are dual piston calipers vs your single piston jobs now. If you think your existing ones work well, wait till you see how well the dual piston calipers work. This is literally a bolt on mod, works with your existing rotors and wheels. The 81-82 rotors are slotted for better cooling but you don't need them unless you are racing the thing.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Right on, man. I think I'll do alright with a few nudges in the right direction. Time to grab a nap before my ridiculous day...

Ahhh, very cool. I suppose at about 700lbs with me on it I could appreciate every bit of stopping power. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a set.

Carbs - yes it has stock keihin CV carbs on it. IT DOES NOT have keihin CR carbs which are fucking awesome. Do your homework. The stock carbs are hated pieces of shit. The CR carbs are $600-800 and WORTH it.

Shocks. Yes the original shocks are variable and better than anything that came before. However they are also 30 years old and filled with an oil slightly too light. Also the spring is a compromise. I would rather have a set of new non adjustable shocks than 30 year old stockers. Plus I would want springs setup for my weight. If you weight 150-165 lbs most shocks will fit you out ofthe box. If you are 200+ you need springs.

I have stock seat for sale if you want. It is $140 shipped and I'll even throw in a stock tail. However make sure the PO did not cut the rear frame rails, otherwise it won fit.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

geet tossing out the good info. i think hes just being nice because its a bike he actually fits on. haha.

seriously. good info.

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links