Am i the only one.... - Page 3
Close

Am i the only one....

This is a discussion on Am i the only one.... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I saw those....[:0] Unfortunately there isnt much you can do if he is truly having the ergonomic problems he described. If I find and build ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I saw those....[:0] Unfortunately there isnt much you can do if he is truly having the ergonomic problems he described. If I find and build one, its gonna be midcontrols and dirtbike bars.

Why oh why didn't they drill and tap the plates?

I would have run the tubes all the way to the spine. Of course I would have also turned little inserts and pressed into the tubes as alignment/strengthening aids and made liberal use of gusseting on the outside of the tubes. There is a tube butt joint in there someplace just waiting to surface. The angle iron continues to baffle. Its setup like a little L shaped spring in the frame. Gives new meaning to the old saying "hinged in the middle" eh?
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

And if you can justify cutting it off, if you have a plan, then do it. But usually its Step 1: buy cheapest old Honda Step 2: remove everything needed to make it legal Step 3: cut off rear of frame and immediately throw it in the trashcan Step 4: take away trash Step 5: realise you have to have stuff like you took off to be legal Step 6: visit dumpster to try to find piece of frame, find old bedrail instead Step 7: incorporate bed rail into your "custom" for street cred by welding it on with a car battery and jumper cables.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

And if you can justify cutting it off, if you have a plan, then do it. But usually its Step 1: buy cheapest old Honda Step 2: remove everything needed to make it legal Step 3: cut off rear of frame and immediately throw it in the trashcan Step 4: take away trash Step 5: realise you have to have stuff like you took off to be legal Step 6: visit dumpster to try to find piece of frame, find old bedrail instead Step 7: incorporate bed rail into your "custom" for street cred by welding it on with a car battery and jumper cables.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

It is definitely the cut first and design later mentality there. As for the "ergonomic issues", even if they are real, that is not a very good way to hang them back there. Even if you wanted to do the flat plate idea, at least make it a thin plate with some ribs. Hell, they could have even welded on a piece of rectangular tube instead of the chunk of battleship armor they found. I probably would have added tubes like you see on a lot of passenger pegs...kinda like the passenger pegs they cut off.

I would be really interested to see the actual before and after weight. I would actually guess that the frame got heavier. I'm sure they lost weight overall because of the luggage rack, bars, and seat, but beyond that, it looks like they had a lot of negative progress.

But as you said Raven, the point wasn't to rag on this one "build". And I agree that you need a clear goal, clear plan, and enough design knowledge to come up with a well laid out frame before you start cutting things off.

It is definitely the cut first and design later mentality there. As for the "ergonomic issues", even if they are real, that is not a very good way to hang them back there. Even if you wanted to do the flat plate idea, at least make it a thin plate with some ribs. Hell, they could have even welded on a piece of rectangular tube instead of the chunk of battleship armor they found. I probably would have added tubes like you see on a lot of passenger pegs...kinda like the passenger pegs they cut off.

I would be really interested to see the actual before and after weight. I would actually guess that the frame got heavier. I'm sure they lost weight overall because of the luggage rack, bars, and seat, but beyond that, it looks like they had a lot of negative progress.

But as you said Raven, the point wasn't to rag on this one "build". And I agree that you need a clear goal, clear plan, and enough design knowledge to come up with a well laid out frame before you start cutting things off.

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

this is why the cafe racer trend and most of the people who "build" them suck.
    + googolplex
    I've given up explaining to people why what they are doing is dangerous
    If it was just for them it wouldn't bother me, but, they always sell the crap to some idiot
    BTW, has anyone posted on SOHC4?
    I'm going to do it
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

this is why the cafe racer trend and most of the people who "build" them suck.
    + googolplex
    I've given up explaining to people why what they are doing is dangerous
    If it was just for them it wouldn't bother me, but, they always sell the crap to some idiot
    BTW, has anyone posted on SOHC4?
    I'm going to do it
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

only the strong survive .
    'old hooligan...

only the strong survive .
    'old hooligan...

Did you see we got a mention in the thread?

I bet as soon as you post they ban Geet.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links