Am i the only one....
Close

Am i the only one....

This is a discussion on Am i the only one.... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; .....who just shakes his head when folks buy a bike and the first thing they do is cut off the back of the frame, knowing ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Am i the only one....

.....who just shakes his head when folks buy a bike and the first thing they do is cut off the back of the frame, knowing that in two weeks to two months they will be shoddily tacking bits of bed rail back there to hold a light and tag?
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

I blame the internetz

I blame the internetz

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

No you aren't. You know you aren't because you have seen us kick the shit out of people here for it all the time.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

No you aren't. You know you aren't because you have seen us kick the shit out of people here for it all the time.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

when i was M.O.T'ing bikes in the 80's & 90's i saw some horrific modifications, the worst was a guy with a Honda CB550, he wanted to fit a custom tank, a sporster type tank, he removed the original tank then mixed a gallon of filler (bondo) and slapped it on the toptube, he built it up , and up, and up, and while the filler was still wet he pushed the custom tank onto it thinking that when the filler set it would hold the tank in place. I could tell you a hundred similar stories, including the gut that greased up his discs on his bike because the discs were made of steel and were always rusting..
    'old hooligan...

when i was M.O.T'ing bikes in the 80's & 90's i saw some horrific modifications, the worst was a guy with a Honda CB550, he wanted to fit a custom tank, a sporster type tank, he removed the original tank then mixed a gallon of filler (bondo) and slapped it on the toptube, he built it up , and up, and up, and while the filler was still wet he pushed the custom tank onto it thinking that when the filler set it would hold the tank in place. I could tell you a hundred similar stories, including the gut that greased up his discs on his bike because the discs were made of steel and were always rusting..
    'old hooligan...

on my projects I try to do as few frame modifications as possible, and only if they make sense. And think about all the loads that will be placed on the structure

This project:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=81000.25

Is an example... If you look a little ways down you see where they modified the frame to ditch the cruiser look (good) but lobbed off the back of the frame in the process (bad) and incorporated a piece of what appears to be angle iron where what could be termed the subframe meets the backbone of the frame. My issues are A) they could have pie cut and pinched the rear frame rails to form a support hoop for the seat and B) the load from the shocks will be attempting to deform the triangle of the subframe, which now has the piece of angle iron in it. That entire structure will probably flex with eventual failure of either the tubes leading up to the shock mount, or somewhere in the angle iron meeting tube structure.

I didn't just pick this bike as someone to rip on. I was looking at what people have done with the kz250 single as it is the same engine as I am working on for my air cooled KLR300/335 project. I thought that I might want a road going non dualsport bike if the engine turns out stout and saw this in my searches.

Later in the thread caferacer.net gets an honorable mention [}]
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

on my projects I try to do as few frame modifications as possible, and only if they make sense. And think about all the loads that will be placed on the structure

This project:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=81000.25

Is an example... If you look a little ways down you see where they modified the frame to ditch the cruiser look (good) but lobbed off the back of the frame in the process (bad) and incorporated a piece of what appears to be angle iron where what could be termed the subframe meets the backbone of the frame. My issues are A) they could have pie cut and pinched the rear frame rails to form a support hoop for the seat and B) the load from the shocks will be attempting to deform the triangle of the subframe, which now has the piece of angle iron in it. That entire structure will probably flex with eventual failure of either the tubes leading up to the shock mount, or somewhere in the angle iron meeting tube structure.

I didn't just pick this bike as someone to rip on. I was looking at what people have done with the kz250 single as it is the same engine as I am working on for my air cooled KLR300/335 project. I thought that I might want a road going non dualsport bike if the engine turns out stout and saw this in my searches.

Later in the thread caferacer.net gets an honorable mention [}]
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

The more i look at it, the more that angle iron truly bothers me.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links