Best bike for a short rider? - Page 3
Close

Best bike for a short rider?

This is a discussion on Best bike for a short rider? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Some of you guys are just being jerks. Much as it pains me, I agree with Geeto, with a caveat. A sportster will need some ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Some of you guys are just being jerks. Much as it pains me, I agree with Geeto, with a caveat. A sportster will need some work to make it an acceptable ride. All sportster gas tanks suck, except the one from the XLCR. It will need rear sets and I don't like the general 19 - 16 wheel combo. If it was me I would fit Buel XBR wheels cause I like 17's but I could also live with some 18 spoked alloy wheels. DOn't be tempted to put on shorter shocks or lower the front end. Just get a seat that sits close to the frame rails so it will be low enough. Since you already have had a sport bike with plenty of power, anything that is a "Cafe" bike will be very different in power, power delivery, handling, seating position and brakes.

Welcome,

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

I am very short also and reality is that even many supposed low bikes do not allow you to flat foot at a stop and to do so you need hop your ass of the seat. I found that if your rear pegs allow your knee bend to fold over the seat this is not a hard reach and becomes natural even on taller bikes.

I actually like the monkey bikes, it is amazing how many mods they have done to them and in an urban setting could be a blast.

The OP never mentioned the type of riding they do or want to do?

Ken, almost all the ironheads have an 18" back. I think sportsters switched to 16" in 1980 but with the redesigned evo bikes switched back and reserved the 16" for customs and special models. I know the 2004 roadsters had an 18" rear wheel, and there was some "superlow" version for really short people (midgets?) that had 17" front and rear.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I had a XLCH Ironhead with the 18" rear . The seat was plenty low, ... yet when considering the 5 kick minimum to start the thing, I was too short for it at 5'11 ( or maybe just too skinny back in the '70s )

my 74 has the electric leg - never worried about kicking it. But it isn't the racy XLCH, just an XLH.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I would only consider an evo sportster. The Ironhead is too cranky and maintenance intensive for me to recommend it to anyone that needs a recommendation. I think they did make a version called the Hugger or some such, but it had serious ground clearance issues since they lowered the suspension to make it short. Plus it was teal and black. I think the sportster Iron has some good potential.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links