Upfront cost of cb500t
Close

Upfront cost of cb500t

This is a discussion on Upfront cost of cb500t within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; What would you pay for a '75 cb500t? As a "newbie" to the cafe racer culture, and bike rebuilding in general, I was hoping some ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Upfront cost of cb500t

What would you pay for a '75 cb500t?

As a "newbie" to the cafe racer culture, and bike rebuilding in general, I was hoping some people could chime in on what you'd offer someone for a cb500t. To give some background:

- the bike has been sitting in a garage for 20+ years
    - nothing was drained prior to storage (gas, oil, hydraulic, etc.)
    - any typical pre-storage protocol wasn't doesn't appear to have been completed
    - carbs are completely locked up

Owner was looking for 800-1000. Any input is much appreciated!

I would pay 0$ without a title and 3 to 5 hundred with title . There is to many unknowns.

Do yourself a favor and buy something that’s in running condition.
    "Its amazing what can be done when you don't know you can't do it" Bill Anderson

It would be worth it if it was a good running bike. If it's got the issues you describe it would have to look like new to be worth 800. Cb500t is not a very desirable model. I paid $100 for this one and spent a couple grand and countless hours on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Nice bike, GS!
    "Its amazing what can be done when you don't know you can't do it" Bill Anderson

...papers?
    papers make it a road bike or without those, just a parts bike....
    800 is way high with all those unknowns...200 possibly 300 with solid papers
    and there appears to be spark and compression along with shift engagement into all gears...
    has to be a reason its sat for 20 + years??????
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

quote:Originally posted by JPellegrino

Nice bike, GS!
    1++[^]
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

It depends on where you are. Where I live (coastal CA) a complete, CB500t that appears to need only normal carb cleaning, a new battery, an oil change, and the usual deferred maintenance (but is otherwise in decent condition) would easily be worth $1,000. Even if it also needed new tires, POR-15 in the tank, and a brake caliper rebuild, it still might be worth $800 or $900. It would be worth less than $800 only if it appeared to also have more serious problems like stuck/worn-out motor, bad trans, pitted fork tubes, or fried electrics, or if the paint and sheetmetal are in bad condition. If the paint and other finishes aren't serviceable (i.e. the seat cover is torn, paint is messed up, or the chrome is all rusty), knock off a few hundred dollars more.

Worth exactly what you are willing to pay
    Endlessly hearing stories about how one person found a mint one for half the price or someone else claiming that it would sell in seconds in the PBR drinking town he calls home

If you have the money and you think you can do the work then go for it
    Of coarse you could always do the normal research in the area to get a feel for what bikes run, but then again that is often meet with claims that vintage bikes are rare or otherwise hard to find
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

quote:Originally posted by jaguar

Worth exactly what you are willing to pay
    Endlessly hearing stories about how one person found a mint one for half the price or someone else claiming that it would sell in seconds in the PBR drinking town he calls home

If you have the money and you think you can do the work then go for it
    Of coarse you could always do the normal research in the area to get a feel for what bikes run, but then again that is often meet with claims that vintage bikes are rare or otherwise hard to find
    I have to agree. For every project bike I've had , the initial purchase price had very little to do with the final cost.

I say its way over priced and a horrible choice for a newbie. Cheapest bikes are very expensive in the end.

Save your grand, and save another 700-1000 and buy a bike that is already in use and in decent shape. Then fix the small stuff that is in less than perfect shape, do a proper tune up, fix the issues that arise over time. This will be much more rewarding than buying in to the idea of "culture" or "scene" of guys who have piece of shit bikes that are hacked and barely usable or just forever projects because the owner is way over their head.

30-40 year old bike will keep you busy enough wrenching even if it wasn't neglected for decades.

The current owner thinks its a precious "barn find" and "low miles" - its all horse shit. 25-30k miles on a vintage bike in regular use is far more desirable than 1k mile bike that sat for 20 years in barn with everything rusting, freezing, drying or otherwise locking up.

That is assuming the in use bike hasn't met some fool the represents "cafe culture" and has removed lots of useful things, fucked up wiring etc.

-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links