Cross Country Trip - what bike?
Close

This is a discussion on Cross Country Trip - what bike? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; OK, a little premature here, but I figure it's never too early to start gathering info. Here's the deal - Big Bad Bobs cross counrty ...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

OK, a little premature here, but I figure it's never too early to start gathering info. Here's the deal - Big Bad Bobs cross counrty trip inspried me to start thinking in a different way about my same "bucket list" trip. I have always wanted to drive cross county. I'm 48 and I still have yet to do so. The last fwe cars I bought I looked hard, and hoped, to find a car in California so I could make the trip. Of course, I always seem to find the better car/deal closer to home.
    Anyway, Bobs trip got me to thinking "What if I buy a bike in California, ride it home, and sell it?" I pitched it to my wife today and she said "Thats perfect!". When I awoke from what seemd to be me fainting at her approval, I thought, fuck it, I'm gonna do it this coming spring!

So, what bike? What route? (I'm parcel to the southern route) What to expect time wise? (no idea how long I could ride in the course of a day)
    I'm figuring on spending $3K on a bike. I figure I've got 1 1/2 to 2 weeks to make the trip. I'll stay in shitty motels, camp if I have to, but prefer not to) I'll definitely invest in the proper gear. What else do I need to think about?
    1988 FZ600

figure out when the best weather is in the places you wish to ride thru.. and of course where you might stop and to sight see..
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

figure out when the best weather is in the places you wish to ride thru.. and of course where you might stop and to sight see..
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Gl1000
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Gl1000
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

DT250, 6 months, just to say you did it.

DT250, 6 months, just to say you did it.

Let me see...MMmmm 3K on a Craigs List special so you can drive X-country... How about considering something a little more substantial and reliable than a 3K muffin. If your planing to sell it anyways - step up to say a 9 or 10K bike, finance it then sell it after the trip. At worst you may end-up paying for a few months payments and have a much better selection of bikes to choose.

For the record - I've done two X-countrys trips - one by car and one on a bike. It was for sure a better trip on the bike. I used a cb750 for my trip with no problems. However; my last long trip was on a harley roadglide. If I was to do the trip again - it would be on the roadglide again...

I just wanted to add another though - buy the bike local to you and drive from here to California. That way you can spend more time getting the bike ready to do the trip and sell it out west.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Let me see...MMmmm 3K on a Craigs List special so you can drive X-country... How about considering something a little more substantial and reliable than a 3K muffin. If your planing to sell it anyways - step up to say a 9 or 10K bike, finance it then sell it after the trip. At worst you may end-up paying for a few months payments and have a much better selection of bikes to choose.

For the record - I've done two X-countrys trips - one by car and one on a bike. It was for sure a better trip on the bike. I used a cb750 for my trip with no problems. However; my last long trip was on a harley roadglide. If I was to do the trip again - it would be on the roadglide again...

I just wanted to add another though - buy the bike local to you and drive from here to California. That way you can spend more time getting the bike ready to do the trip and sell it out west.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

I know some one that did it on a hodoka 175.....but he rode from Philly to Athena, Oregon for hodoka days.
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links