storm - Page 5
Close

storm

This is a discussion on storm within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I'm almost afraid to ask what the impact all that overflow sewage, saltwater, floating gas, oil and other liquids will have to soil and groundwater ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: storm

I'm almost afraid to ask what the impact all that overflow sewage, saltwater, floating gas, oil and other liquids will have to soil and groundwater (not to mention beach)?
    Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles. It makes me take another look. - S.M.

quote:Originally posted by FR

quote:Originally posted by midge

very small percentage flooding came to what was high ground, the rest just assholes and idiots
    new jersey has like 8.8 million people that's like 1200 people per square mile, if half of them have any brains you still got 600 people in every square mile that just don't know what to do or how to do it
    Are you fucking kidding me? I don't even know how to respond to that post.
    I do. "asshole and idiot"
    "Its amazing what can be done when you don't know you can't do it" Bill Anderson

quote:Originally posted by busapilot

I'm almost afraid to ask what the impact all that overflow sewage, saltwater, floating gas, oil and other liquids will have to soil and groundwater (not to mention beach)?
    all of NYC's water comes from reservoirs upstate so thats all good. there are towns in nj and long is that have no water. Fema is supposedly handing out water and MREs. In nyc 2 of our 14 sewage treatment plants are bypassing into the harbor, so dont go swimming. the saltwater, obvioulsy did a number on the infrastructure.
    Internet arguments are like the special olympics. If you win you're still retarded

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

very small percentage flooding came to what was high ground, the rest just assholes and idiots
    new jersey has like 8.8 million people that's like 1200 people per square mile, if half of them have any brains you still got 600 people in every square mile that just don't know what to do or how to do it
    really what part dont you understand?

The one part I will take from your comment is:
    Doesn't matter where you live; near beach, river, fault line, base of volcano, near rendering plant...you accept a certain amount of risk living there, fine. You accept a certain amount of risk not carrying extra insurance, fine. It doesn't matter if xxxxx hasn't happened in 100 years or ever, if an evacuation order is given, you obey and pray for the best. Much different than 'stand your ground' and pray for the best. The NJ gov seemed to do a pretty convincing job of warning folks.

I think many of us wouldn't 'know what to do or how to do it' if we were in the middle of that.

With all that is going on elsewhere in the U.S. it's nice to see folks putting all aside to help out.
    Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles. It makes me take another look. - S.M.

OC steve, To answer your question. Even though people had warning there is only so much preperation you can do in 5 days. In my case, I did not believe the storm was going to get to historic levels. I was prepared to evacuate with my family, pets and cash. THATS IT. everything else was just going under if the tide got any higher. And Midge is right some people are just foolish. Others are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I watch many fools decide to drive thru 3 feet of water, when a prefectly good dry route was available.
    dief544

quote:Originally posted by dief544

I watch many fools decide to drive thru 3 feet of water, when a prefectly good dry route was available.
    It's a shortcut Charlie Babbitt....ten minutes to Wapner....I'm an excellent driver.
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

quote:Originally posted by OC Steve

This may be a dumb question, because I have never been in a real storm like the one that just hit y'all back east. But can someone tell me why so many cars got caught in high water? The photos on the news reports show tons of cars getting flooded and smashed into buildings and so forth. As I recall, there were flood warnings for hours before the storm hit. I imagine the first thing I would do after I heard the first flood warnings would be to pack up my valuables into my car, and drive to high ground.
    Simply put....."average isn't smart."
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

FR

really what part dont you understand?
    I'm sorry. I don't understand how you can be so callous, judgmental, imperious and insensitive.
    I guess I can imagine many scenarios where someone would feel compelled to stay where they are rather than flee, and without the benefit of hind-sight and no previous personal experience to call upon, be able to justify their decision.
    But I'm sure glad there are people like you around, to set me straight.
    FR

http://sidewaysnortheast.blogspot.com/

callous, judgmental, imperious and insensitive

usually i just get called one thing at a time,

the original question was how come so many people that didn't need to get caught got caught, the reason there's lots of people in new jersey, and if even a small percent of them did nothing to prepare, that's still a large number, judgmental, imperious and insensitive yea that sounds like me, but callous, no that's one you got wrong, see i spent the last 4 days hooking up generators for neighbors not for money, its not my line of work, i cleaned out the supply of twist lock plugs, and 10/4 cable in my shop because the average Joe bought the generator but didn't know enough to buy a cord or plug or even oil,my cord, my plug, my oil, after cutting up the neighbors tree this morning i spent 2 hours getting gas, i didn't need it but a friend did.went out to dinner tonight the guy that runs the vale parking didn't have gas so when i was done eating i took his car for gas another hour on line, but what ever i may be a flat-lander but I'm not callous[flat-lander that's what people in Vermont call the rest of us]see they make most of there money on tourism but hate it at the same time makes them feel like whores

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links