storm - Page 6
Close

storm

This is a discussion on storm within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; We're never gonna get it "right" when it comes to these events. No matter what, some people will always be affected and others won't. My ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: storm

We're never gonna get it "right" when it comes to these events. No matter what, some people will always be affected and others won't. My business partners family beach house faces the ocean and the only between the house and the water was the beach and a small bulkhead that housed parking meters, not so much as a drop of water got in their place. Many houses on the same street will be bulldozed. They didn't prepare, or even make an attempt to, there wasn't enough time.
    Bottom line is it was a tragic event for soooo many, none of which "deserved it".
    The issue I have is that we've gotten to this point where an 8-10 ft wall of water comes over the beach and 80mph winds blow for 12-16 hours and people expect immediate solutions. I understand the frustration because we've all become so dependant on electricity, gas, etc... but when access roads are washed away, when hundreds of thousands are all in the same situation, you've got to start somewhere and work through it. It's been 4 days since the storm hit. Everyone needs to take a breath and give the first reponders, electric companies, etc... a day or so to get sorted. I saw the Navy is shipping electrical untility trucks from california to help. They're on it, it's just not gonna get sorted out in a day or two.
    1988 FZ600

dch
    quote:Originally posted by midge

callous, judgmental, imperious and insensitive

usually i just get called one thing at a time,

the original question was how come so many people that didn't need to get caught got caught, the reason there's lots of people in new jersey, and if even a small percent of them did nothing to prepare, that's still a large number, judgmental, imperious and insensitive yea that sounds like me, but callous, no that's one you got wrong, see i spent the last 4 days hooking up generators for neighbors not for money, its not my line of work, i cleaned out the supply of twist lock plugs, and 10/4 cable in my shop because the average Joe bought the generator but didn't know enough to buy a cord or plug or even oil,my cord, my plug, my oil, after cutting up the neighbors tree this morning i spent 2 hours getting gas, i didn't need it but a friend did.went out to dinner tonight the guy that runs the vale parking didn't have gas so when i was done eating i took his car for gas another hour on line, but what ever i may be a flat-lander but I'm not callous[flat-lander that's what people in Vermont call the rest of us]see they make most of there money on tourism but hate it at the same time makes them feel like whores
    Midge you callous bastard... god I luv ya..!!!!!

thurs I decided to get ready, buy a generator...ha, there are no generators, you dumb ass... lucky for me son works for lowes, and sat a truck showed up with 4 generators, the outdoor manager made 2 'vanish', we got one, more generator than I need, more than I wanted to spend (even with son's employee discount).. ahhhh you say, you're ready you say..not, it didn't come with a cord..tried all the usual local stores, 'if it's for a generator we don't have any, sorry'... ok egay, found the cable in MA, I emailed the guy, if I buy this can I come pick it up Monday morning, yes and yes I did drive to MA Monday morning, Sunday wired in my old transfer box that I've been carrying around, moving from shelf to shelf since I took it out of the married house 10 years ago,...go out and spend $110 for gas, Monday night, now I'm ready..power went out at 7:00, power came back at 10:30..never connected the brandy new generator..do I care, no, I'm ready, I won't be buying any motorcycle parts for a month or so but I'm ready...tired of being one of the 600.....

I only go to Vermont for the roads......

d.
    I love the smell of castor oil in the morning, but I have a Honda....and now a \'taco(s)...x2

You flatlandin, callous mother effin honkey!!!!
    How the hell u doin? Give me a shout if ya need anything or plan on headin to Boston

I guess I can be insensitive too at times ..... I took advantage of the storm and went surfing for 3 days.
    It really didn't suck
    latered

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

FR
    quote:Originally posted by midge

callous, judgmental, imperious and insensitive

usually i just get called one thing at a time,

the original question was how come so many people that didn't need to get caught got caught, the reason there's lots of people in new jersey, and if even a small percent of them did nothing to prepare, that's still a large number, judgmental, imperious and insensitive yea that sounds like me, but callous, no that's one you got wrong, see i spent the last 4 days hooking up generators for neighbors not for money, its not my line of work, i cleaned out the supply of twist lock plugs, and 10/4 cable in my shop because the average Joe bought the generator but didn't know enough to buy a cord or plug or even oil,my cord, my plug, my oil, after cutting up the neighbors tree this morning i spent 2 hours getting gas, i didn't need it but a friend did.went out to dinner tonight the guy that runs the vale parking didn't have gas so when i was done eating i took his car for gas another hour on line, but what ever i may be a flat-lander but I'm not callous[flat-lander that's what people in Vermont call the rest of us]see they make most of there money on tourism but hate it at the same time makes them feel like whores
    Well I guess you're just a complicated enigma then. Good on you for helping people out.
    And while you're generalizations are tired and hackneyed, at least you seem to be able to distribute them with equanimity.

Not that it matters one bit in this conversation, I'm from N.J.

Peace
    FR

http://sidewaysnortheast.blogspot.com/

bfd
    Has anyone spoken to Uch yet?

TT said uch is good no damage and never lost power

Hurricane Sandy Aftermath:
    "Its amazing what can be done when you don't know you can't do it" Bill Anderson

took a bike (pedal) ride around middlesex/union/somerset counties today. theres still hundreds of trees/wires lying in the road . id say a few 100 thousand people w/o power in this area alone. no flooding, fires thou, mostly wind damage. some say the power may be out atleast to the 15th or longer. i think in one piscataway grid a sub station burnt up and they cant repair it. theres atleast one police officer at every gas station that is open.good thing i travel to southwest jersey for work everyday and bring back 5 gal of gas when needed.
    I like my shocks like I like my women. Cheap and Chinese.

"Its amazing what can be done when you don't know you can't do it" Bill Anderson

Motherfuckers gouging gas at $20/gallon. There is no torture good enough for these bastards.
    Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles. It makes me take another look. - S.M.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Sponsored Links