storm - Page 7
Close

storm

This is a discussion on storm within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; at a gas station or on craigslist? the problem is people are waiting 2, 4, 6 or more hours on lines to get gas. at ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: storm

at a gas station or on craigslist?

the problem is people are waiting 2, 4, 6 or more hours on lines to get gas. at some point its worth more than $4. obv 20 is stretching it.

i havent been able to get gas since the storm. every station in my neighborhodd is empty. yesterday i counted at least 30 cars on line for a station that wasnt even open. they are waiting there, with cars off, in the cold for a truck to show up i guess. i dont really see an immediate end to this. people are hoarding big time.

been bicycling to work- infinite mpg!
    Internet arguments are like the special olympics. If you win you're still retarded

No station is charging $20 a gallon and not getting shut down.
    CL sure people are. Same guys that bought all the $300 HF generators and wanted $1200 for them during the storm.

My house in Bay Shore didnt flood and we got power back the 1st.
    I was able to buy a used 4k watt generator sunday before the storm on CL for $350.
    Didnt wait at all to vote, and filled my car yesterday and didnt pay any more then I normally do and only waited about 10min. Long lines are at 5 when everyone gets out of work around here. During the day no real lines.

My aunt lives on Fire Island and has not been allowed back to her home yet. The FD were the FIRST off the island on saturday. Now they are going and coming freely from the island and pictures are being posted on FB buy non FD people, but zero communication as to what is going on. We got some word that the home was inspected and passed.

Guess a whole bunch of people are frustrated at this point
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

can you tell me where you get gas cuz im there. the line i counted yesterday was at 1pm. There was a line tuesday night at 10pm. I'm tellin you, where i am in queens there is no gas.
    Internet arguments are like the special olympics. If you win you're still retarded

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

This was on 5th ave (big road) in Bay Shore, dont think you want to come out this far
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Hey all. I'm from Queens so the house and family are fine.

If there's anyone in NYC that you want to check up on, send me a PM with their neighborhood. One of my best friends live in Breezy Point and his house has been destroyed. I've been volunteering for the past two weeks helping them clear out the bigger debris. This morning, half a bathtub slid and gave me a nasty gash on my thigh so I've been forced to rest up.

For the gas situation, if you don't mind the ride/drive, head up to Westchester. It took me around an hour to get there and I filled up $120 worth of gas in a few minutes. No lines at all. The National Guard is also giving away free gas (the last time I checked) but the lines are ridiculous and I'd honestly just stay away from there as I heard someone was arrested for pulling a gun on someone as they tried to skip ahead in line. (man was arrested, might get 15 years.)

Gas rationing starts tomorrow.

I haven't been to a station since before the storm and I drive everyday. All the bikes are just about empty (the duc I think has 3 gallons and my brother's cb750F has another 3) and the 15 gallons in the GTO is starting to look really really attractive. I already drak about a gallon siphoning 3 gallons out of that car so I slightly shudder at having to kiss the hose again. Thank God for VW for making a 215+ hp turbo car that still gets 25mpg in mostly city driving.

Some of the LI stations have no gas can line at all. In my folk's neighborhood the car line was 1/4 mile long but there were 5 people on the gas can line so they pulled out 2 5 gallon cans and filled them both to the top and then walked back and filled up their cars.

However - Since the shortage started my father has not had to fill his chevy volt once. He is getting an estimated 63 miles per gallon. Honestly, GM should come to NY and film him and this car for all the psuedo-hypermiling he does. Unfortunatly he is not nearly as smug about it as he should be to strangers - If it were me I would be taunting people on gas lines right now.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Unfortunatly he is not nearly as smug about it as he should be to strangers - If it were me I would be taunting people on gas lines right now.
    Hes smart Geet, that's not a good idea.
    "Its amazing what can be done when you don't know you can't do it" Bill Anderson

He also doesn't live in brooklyn or queens or the parts of long island where people are under 50 and have guns in their cars. But yeah it is probably a smart move not to taunt the less fortunate.

One of the Gas line riots was the free gas line closest to me. They shut it down quick.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

In any case, if anyone wants to take a trip out of NYC for gas, we should carpool it. I promise I won't secretly pour your gas into a duffelbag full of gallon water bottles.

They switched to even/odd days here in NJ last week on Wednesday and it really seems to have helped. The local Costco had some of the most insane lines I have even seen into last weekend. Now most stations are no wait at all. So it will get better. And if you get really desperate - once the Morris & Essex train is running again - you could grab a couple of 5 gallon cans and ride out here and I'll shuttle you to the local cheap gas stations.

Still lots of people without power here. Just got a call from my kid's school that a transformer blew-up nearby causing the buses to be delayed. No school for the kids again tomorrow as power is now off there. At this rate they will be in school to mid-July.

Jim

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Sponsored Links