swing arm ideas
Close

swing arm ideas

This is a discussion on swing arm ideas within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey guys, name's rob, the project ive got is still in planning stages so no pics or any detailed info as its in storage at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: swing arm ideas

Birmingham, westmidlands, United Kingdom.

swing arm ideas

Hey guys, name's rob, the project ive got is still in planning stages so no pics or any detailed info as its in storage at the moment

its a 78 cb750, ive brought some R1 bits (wheels, brakes, forks and swingarm) off a breaker and im pretty sure its the look im going to go for but nothings set in stone

Does anyone know anything about using carbon fibre?! :?: i understand it will be expensive!

the problem ive got is that the swingarm i have will hit the subframe i plan to build and to be fair it also doesnt look the best att the moment anyway as it doesnt go with the style of the bike at all. i dont mind changing up the appearance of the bike but not if its going to comprise proformance!

its a 98 r1 arm and my plan is to cut the bracing off and wrap it in carbon fibre to regain the strength and stiffness

ive never used carbon fibre and have no idea if this is a stupid question or not!

i know i could probably find a box section swingarm to take the wheel for less money but its something i havent seen anyone do on a build yet

cheers in advance

http://www.broadlandleisure.com/ I think the Black book is the one that would be of most interest to people interested in performance from a constructors viewpoint. The first/red hits more of a engineers point of view. The second covers much of the materials and manufacturing topics you are asking about. Really it wouldnt hurt to get both and read through to get an idea where more research might be needed for your particular project objectives. Also dont over look the book from Tony Faole http://www.tonyfoale.com/, I cant give much advice here but suspect it is a must read also.

The cost of the books will most likely save you many times their cost in misdirection costs.

There was one particular paragraph in one of the first two books that strikes me everytime I see a 70s CB750 or the like with modern sportbike forks, swinger, wheels, and stoppie makers grafted on.

Good luck. That is all now.

http://www.broadlandleisure.com/ I think the Black book is the one that would be of most interest to people interested in performance from a constructors viewpoint. The first/red hits more of a engineers point of view. The second covers much of the materials and manufacturing topics you are asking about. Really it wouldnt hurt to get both and read through to get an idea where more research might be needed for your particular project objectives. Also dont over look the book from Tony Faole http://www.tonyfoale.com/, I cant give much advice here but suspect it is a must read also.

The cost of the books will most likely save you many times their cost in misdirection costs.

There was one particular paragraph in one of the first two books that strikes me everytime I see a 70s CB750 or the like with modern sportbike forks, swinger, wheels, and stoppie makers grafted on.

Good luck. That is all now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Great shout! on the to buy list next pay day!

thanks man

Great shout! on the to buy list next pay day!

thanks man

A stock R1 swingarm will probably be much longer than your stock swingarm. That will drastically affect handling. The offset of the triple clamps will alsobe different, which will also drastically affect handling.

Measure everything before you start taking the stock bike apart so you know the area you should shoot for on your reassembly with the new parts.

A stock R1 swingarm will probably be much longer than your stock swingarm. That will drastically affect handling. The offset of the triple clamps will alsobe different, which will also drastically affect handling.

Measure everything before you start taking the stock bike apart so you know the area you should shoot for on your reassembly with the new parts.

ive done the maths and got a trail of 4.09 inches which is fine, will need to sit the back end down about 12mm to keep that but i cant see any major issues coming from the front end apart from bracing the head but thats a whole other story.

the R1 arm is longer by a fair way, i thought it would make it a bit more stable but still fun to ride right?

ive done the maths and got a trail of 4.09 inches which is fine, will need to sit the back end down about 12mm to keep that but i cant see any major issues coming from the front end apart from bracing the head but thats a whole other story.

the R1 arm is longer by a fair way, i thought it would make it a bit more stable but still fun to ride right?

quote:Originally posted by nic579
    What did it say?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links