Anyone in Philadelphia? - Page 2
Close

Anyone in Philadelphia?

This is a discussion on Anyone in Philadelphia? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; quote: Originally posted by sign216 quote: Originally posted by Geeto67 I had a 106. it literally has no more usefulness than a moped. Ouch! That ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    quote:Originally posted by sign216

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

I had a 106. it literally has no more usefulness than a moped.
    Ouch! That hurts.

I'm selling a Batavus moped, the pride of the Netherlands. 49cc 2t with a top speed of 28-30mph if everything is favorable.

The Gilera 106 should be capable of 40 mph, which may not be a huge leap in performance.

It is actually a leap backwards in performance. Your batavus moped is a two stroke, where as the 106ss is a four stroke. So while you moped my only do 30mph, it gets to 30 mph a lot quicker. By modern standards the gilera MAY hit 40 but it will get there with all the fury of being squeezed from a tube of toothpaste.

Is there any reason you don want a grown up motorcycle?
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Geeto,

Can't talk for Joe but little bikes are cool. I can carry 4 with my minivan. They are easy to get in and out of my basement workshop. One clyinder is easy to work on and figure out. You can fit 2 in the floor space of one big bike. They have plenty of pop for in city and quiet country roads.

I disagree with the performance difference you mentioned. I had a Batavus VA and its 0-30 was a lot slower than my Honda 50 c100.

Convince Joe he NEEDS an Aermacchi 250 or a Benelli 125 two stroke. I have both for sale at the moment.

ken,

your getting a gilera or a batavus?

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I'm getting this for my son, as I coax him into motorcycling. Actually, we like fixing bikes more than riding.
    The Batavus moped was a good start; no gears, 49cc was easy for him to kick start, and he could move the lightweight machine around.

Now I'm stepping up the game to something a little bigger with a real transmission. Hence, a Sears 106 or a Monza Jr 160 would be good.
    I'm avoiding 2 cycles because I like the dedicated lubrication of a 4T, and I feel that the Italians never gave 2Ts the quality construction that they put into 4T bikes. For them, 2 cycles bikes were "cheap."

Geeto, I've got "grown up motorcycles." Well, do a 500cc and 750cc count? I remember when a 750 was a big bike. I am shocked that's now considered a learner's size.

Joe

I currently own a sears 106ss and i like it alot, like others have said its isnt a speed racer but putts around town with no problems. The styling is simple but the bike turns heads everywhere i ride it. I removed the giant rear fender which made it look a little too long for my taste, and made a smaller one out of sheet metal. Performance wise it tops out around 45-50mph dependng on the conditions, ive owned several mopeds including a modded 70cc puch magnum and the gilera would have beat them all in a drag race to 35-40 because of the 4 speed gear box. As a bike for your son i would think it would be great, super easy to work on and very simple to operate. I wouldnt want it as my only bike though buts thats why i own a 450 as well; but it would make a great first/ learning vintage bike.

Texy,
    A Gilera. I am trading Hahnda some Honda singles for a runner. There is a thread on here somewhere.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Ken,

Wasn't that a Garelli Rex you are getting from hahnda?

Jack

quote:Originally posted by santander

I currently own a sears 106ss and i like it alot, like others have said its isnt a speed racer but putts around town with no problems. The styling is simple but the bike turns heads everywhere i ride it. I removed the giant rear fender which made it look a little too long for my taste, and made a smaller one out of sheet metal. Performance wise it tops out around 45-50mph dependng on the conditions, ive owned several mopeds including a modded 70cc puch magnum and the gilera would have beat them all in a drag race to 35-40 because of the 4 speed gear box. As a bike for your son i would think it would be great, super easy to work on and very simple to operate. I wouldnt want it as my only bike though buts thats why i own a 450 as well; but it would make a great first/ learning vintage bike.
    Thank you for the thoughtful reply. 45 mph is fine performance for a 106cc bike, and we can live with that for town/rural use.

Funny how some people think that's as slow as a glacier. It's all perspective. The Batavus feels fine at 25 mph, until other cars start passing you. Then it get's embarrassing.

quote:Originally posted by JackC

Ken,

Wasn't that a Garelli Rex you are getting from hahnda?

Jack

Oh Yeah, that's right. I knew it was one of those little Italian 4 stroke G things. Regardless, they are all about the same and I am looking forward to getting it for a pit bike. I am not going to do anything to lose the patina that it comes with.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

that Garelli is a nice little bike. I have only seen one other, for sale at both mid o and rhinebeck ( same bike same seller-,$1200 asking it was nice).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links