"sometimes you have to troll on people with your car a little" - Page 2
Close

"sometimes you have to troll on people with your car a little"

This is a discussion on "sometimes you have to troll on people with your car a little" within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Funny you bring it up, Geets. I've been thinking of selling the 996 and getting a 1966-69 912 and putting a Type 1 in it. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Funny you bring it up, Geets. I've been thinking of selling the 996 and getting a 1966-69 912 and putting a Type 1 in it. I just can't get into the 996, it's "not me". I really miss my SC.
    Anyway, to your question- Yes, you can fit in one of the older 911s no problem. I know plenty of guys abou tyour size that have/had them and they had no issues. If worse comes to worse you can always just move the tracks back, just cut them out and reweld them. A pain in the ass, but not overly complicated. The issue with the pre-1978 911 is they were magnesium cases and aluminium cyclinders and heads, two different expansion rates so they had a tendency to pull head studs. Again, fixable, but a pain in the ass. If you're looking for the "long hood" pre 1974 you're kinda stuck with that head stud thing. If you're ok with the "short hood" 1974 and on, then I recommend a nice SC. They did have dilivar studs, which had a tendency to break, but fairly easy to replace with racing studs or steel. Other than that they were bulletproof. Plenty of fun, you can put shoulder harnesses in the back for the kiddies, galvanized so rust is less of an issue, parts (new and used) are abundant. Not anymore of hassle than any other older American car as far as I'm concerned.
    1988 FZ600

someone explained to me that these cars are like legos so I don't mind a bitsa car. I was thinking like a 1976 or so slickroof coupe (no targa). I want something a little bit beat.

I told you you shouldn't have sold your black one.

What's wrong with the 996? specifically what is not "you" about it?

The worst thing about porsches is the people. If I even consider this, does that mean I have to associate with porsche people? I mean you and my buddy miles I like but all the other porsche people I have ever met really bring that "pricks on the outside" joke to life.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I learned to drive stick shift in a '75 914. My dad later bought a '72 911T and then foolishly left the keys where I could find them while on extended business trips. The odometer scene in Ferris Bueller always struck a chord with me....

Geet - I think you'd fit in an early 911 - particularly if you swapped out the thick stock seats for some sport buckets. I'd hate to be the poor fool that tried to squeeze in the back "seat" behind you though!

Jim

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

The 74-76's 2.7L had that pulled head stud issue but nowadays most have been rebuilt and likely addressed that problem. Tough to find a non sunroof coupe, but they're out there. I'd steer you in the SC direction because they moved up to a 3.0L and it's pretty much the identical body style. You can find them in varying condition and pretty easily.

What's "not me" about the 996? It's big. It's heavy. And I'm not a good enough driver to push it to it's potential, which is the fun part of driving for me. I'm more comfortable in a less sophisticated car. Plus I like to tinker a bit and I know NOTHING about modern engines. I was comfortable enough to work on my SC and my Speedster replica (air cooled VW T1). And I will admit, I don't like the preception people have of me driving it. Even though it's a $30K car people automatically assosciate it with a big price tag. Not a big deal, but I work with people who live paycheck to paycheck and I sometimes feel like a dick pulling up in it.

As for "porsche people"- no. you don't have to be one. I avoid them like the plague. I don't belong to any of the clubs (PCA, ect...). That said, I've been exposed to enough of them to know it's like anything else; some are good guys that really enjoy the cars and working on them, others just want the handies from girls in starbucks lot.

They are great cars. They get a bad wrap because they have that stigma of being expensive, pretentious, whatever....., but they are user frienidly, affordable (relatively speaking), and fun to drive.
    1988 FZ600

And you're right, I should have never sold my SC. I got right where I wanted it and then stupidly sold it. I can still hear it pulling away at times and it makes me sad.
    1988 FZ600

It's our nature....the moment we get to the point where we ask what's next and there isn't a what's next we foolishly sell it instead of enjoying it. My gs750 was perfect for me and it only took two years but it was a fast sell when I needed money.

It could have been worse, you could have bought a $30k Ferrari. What about something like a factory five Daytona coupe. Stone simple, racing pedigree, and you can tell people it is a replica, plus massive curb appeal without feeling like the rich douche.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

BTW, how terrible is it that I have been looking at Fiberfab Jamacians all morning?
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Ahhhh, the Jamacian, very cool car. I try to get up to Carlisle every spring for their Import and Kit Car Show. They've always got tons of great cars there. My speedster actually made the spread in Kit Car Magazine one year. A small pic but I was honored nonetheless. Those Daytonas are fucking awesome!!! There was one for sale a few years ago up there, but I wasn't in the market. Besides it's way too much car for me. I'm getting old and I just get frustrated driving fast cars around town. I drove a buddies Cobra a while back and never got it out of 2nd gear, where's the fun in that?

I'm going to keep mulling over the 912 idea. It kinda where I started when I ended up with my SC. I could find anything on the east coast that wasn't swiss cheese and the earlier 911s were the same. I'll probably test the waters this spring on the 996 for sale. See what the market is like, and then go from there. I'm seriously considering shipping my bike out the LA and riding it back this spring/summer, but if I can find a 912 to buy and drive back I'd do that instead.
    1988 FZ600

it is one of those it seems like a good idea this morning....until I realize that I have never really seen one up close and in my head they are the size of a c3 vette but in reality they are much much smaller (and therefore useless to me). oh well.

can't you find another 911 SC for what you sold yours for? or are you over the 911 sc thing? I'm guessing you want a 912 because you want an earlier car like a 60's toad?

what about something the whole family can enjoy? like a 60's mustang convertible or something.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

If you want to spend the next few months of your life totally absorbed in research on obscure Porsche and car-modding forums, look into putting a Subaru motor in a 911 or 912. Guys will scavenge a motor from a Subie Legacy Turbo, or a WRX, buy an adapter plate from Kennedy Engineering (or make their own adapter), a radiator from a 1st gen Toyota MR2, and disappear into their garage for months or years. If all goes well, they end up with a lightweight sports coupe with 240+ hp. Example: '68 Porsche 912 converstion - 2005 STi EJ20T - NASIOC

Normally I am against mashups like this. Something about putting a Japanese motor in a Porsche doesn't sound right at first. And then there's the whole cross-era thing: I usually prefer old motors in old cars, and putting a modern motor in a 912 felt wrong when I first thought about it. Conversions like that can be a offense against the natural order of things. But look a little closer, and the Subie/912 conversion starts to fall together in your mind. The Subie motor fits in the engine compartment beautifully (way better than those awful 912/v-6 and v-8 mashups we've all seen). And there is even room for the radiator in the engine compartment. Or mount the radiator up front, under the front bumper, and run one of those RSR front bumpers on it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links