"sometimes you have to troll on people with your car a little" - Page 3
Close

"sometimes you have to troll on people with your car a little"

This is a discussion on "sometimes you have to troll on people with your car a little" within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Porsches are for humorless stuck up snobs, Geeto don't do it. Except for 914s of course....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Porsches are for humorless stuck up snobs, Geeto don't do it. Except for 914s of course.

I always thought it would be fun to take a 944 with a burned out engine and drop an aluminum small block in it. A roll cage, the aluminum window supports and a ricky racer type paint job - maybe a copy of Smokey Yunick's Chevelle? Could be a fun car and definitely would anger the purists out there.

Geeto should fix the geeto...
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cb650pk View Post
    Porsches are for humorless stuck up snobs, Geeto don't do it. Except for 914s of course.
    Humorless? I've got a great sense of humor!!

No mustangs. I've always wanted a long nose "toad, as Geeto calls them. My Dad rolled up the driveway in a brand new 1975 914 when I was a kid and that's what got me started. Over the years the family had three 914's, a 924 turbo (fun car) and a Super Beetle convertible. The first car I bought with my own money was a 1971 Ghia convertible. I guess I was an impressionable kid and the german stuff just stuck with me. I was always infatuated with the 1973 911 RS when I was a kid. I suppose thats why the older style appeals to me so much. I considered backdating my SC but it seemed like a lot of fluff just for teh look, besides that SC looked great as it was.

As much as I like the suby boxer in a 911 once you go that route the car is unsellable to all but a few, very few, select buyers who would appreciate it. I'm already wasting 300+ hp in the 996, and I never really used what the SC had, I'd be looking for something that is simply fun to drive and that I'm comfortable enough to work on. There are a ton of cars that fit that bill but I'm just drawn the the old porsches.
    1988 FZ600

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Actually the guy who owns the 911 RSR is Chris Banning and if you want your life to be sucked away for days begin reading what I think is one of the most awesome gearhead threads on the internet:
    What happened to the Mulholland "King of the Hill" RSR? - Pelican Parts Technical BBS.

I think I hate you for posting that link. When the hell am I going to sleep? I'm only on page 12 and there are 300+ pages.

A lot of the stories are from my "era" when I was into cars. I lived nowhere near there so that part isn't familiar, but I remember reading about it. I also remember a lot of the cars they are talking about, including a buddy's modded V6 Capri that he was very generous letting me use.

Fun times, fun times. I can't remember the last time I saw one of those Capris. I wonder if I'd still like it as much as I think I would? I am thinking about finding a project car after all...
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

there was an estate sale green capri on ebay last week - unmolested car but a project none the less. It didn't sell maybe you can contact the seller:

Mercury : Capri 2 Door Coupe in Mercury | eBay Motors

there is also a perfect 1985 model in MI on ebay as well:

Other Makes in Other Makes | eBay Motors
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Tony had a very nice one of those, as I recall. Or at least the English version of it. I don't think they called it the Capri. If was probably called the Ford Hornswoggle or the Chipping Campden Saloon or something like that..
    Last edited by OC Steve; 02-14-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Steve View Post
    Normally I am against mashups like this
    I am just going to say this now....and really I am looking at Jag more than you Steve but it applies as well - Anybody who is against cross brand engine swaps doesn't understand hot rodding, performance vehicles, or really anything that is cool about playing with cars or bikes. They are just being snobs and idiots. Some of the greatest cars and bikes come from the idea of stuffing brand X's mill into Brand Y's chassis (see for example Triton, Bimota, Any Ford street rod made in the last 50 years, Fieros with v8 swaps, backdraft cobras, etc.....).
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    there was an estate sale green capri on ebay last week - unmolested car but a project none the less. It didn't sell maybe you can contact the seller:

Mercury : Capri 2 Door Coupe in Mercury | eBay Motors

there is also a perfect 1985 model in MI on ebay as well:

Other Makes in Other Makes | eBay Motors

I saw the first one you listed - interesting but I can't buy another car until late this summer at the earliest. As for the second one, I had completely forgotten about the later generations of Capris. Not interested, they didn't look right to me.

WTF since starting to read that thread I've even been listening to some 70s music.

I need to get out of the house more. Spring can not get here fast enough...
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondj View Post
    I always thought it would be fun to take a 944 with a burned out engine and drop an aluminum small block in it. A roll cage, the aluminum window supports and a ricky racer type paint job - maybe a copy of Smokey Yunick's Chevelle? Could be a fun car and definitely would anger the purists out there.
    You give it the 924 Martini edition's paint job:

Honestly the 924 is the better swap canidate because the car is just flat cheaper. For some reason 944s have been creeping back up in price but everyone hates the 924. You do have to use the 944 transaxle though - unless you want to hunt down and swap a C5 corvette transaxle and pay a fortune for a swap cradle (which they do make for the 924 and 944).

Plus, there is something delightfully perverse about doing major damage to egos with something so universially despised as a 924. The car has 50/50 weight balance and honestly if they just badged it as a VW it would be a huge collector item right now, but because they badged it as a porsche everyone loves to shit on the 924. It's the same with e30 BMWs - the car is fucking brilliant but anybody who doesn't own one looks at those who does and writes off the car because the owners are of a certain type (again looking at you Jag).
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links