"sometimes you have to troll on people with your car a little" - Page 4
Close

"sometimes you have to troll on people with your car a little"

This is a discussion on "sometimes you have to troll on people with your car a little" within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by Geeto67 It's the same with e30 BMWs - the car is fucking brilliant but anybody who doesn't own one looks at those ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    It's the same with e30 BMWs - the car is fucking brilliant but anybody who doesn't own one looks at those who does and writes off the car because the owners are of a certain type (again looking at you Jag).
    I think most people consider e30 owners as car enthousiasts. Its the E46 and E90 that feel like you could probably replace their car with a Honda Accord and they might not even notice for a few weeks.
    I thought people didn't consider the 944 a real Porsche because of the engine or something. Maybe i'm confusing with the 924.
    928 was the v8 one right? To me, they all looked the same and i never paid them much attention. Prefered the starion and conquest to them.
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

Quote Originally Posted by pampadori View Post
    I think most people consider e30 owners as car enthousiasts. Its the E46 and E90 that feel like you could probably replace their car with a Honda Accord and they might not even notice for a few weeks.
    I thought people didn't consider the 944 a real Porsche because of the engine or something. Maybe i'm confusing with the 924.
    928 was the v8 one right? To me, they all looked the same and i never paid them much attention. Prefered the starion and conquest to them.
    E30 owners get a lot of shit from other car "enthuasists" and I use that term loosely. I have heard the term douchebag from more than a few friends when I had one and I had a pretty mild convertible. Jag won't consider anything BMW for anything based solely on the owners and I just think that is crazy. I grew up with an uncle who had awesome canyon carving BMWs and some of my father's friends had gray market M cars (6 and 7 series) so I think they are awesome. Even some of the e36 cars were ok but I think that is the Generation where they went from being the most reliable engaging german car to cutting edge technology that requires a warranty recall every week. I had 2 E34 5 series cars (one a dark green 1991 M5) and positively loved them (even though the 530i v-8 was the biggest dog I ever saw). my trusty rusty 1976 2002Tii was one of the best cars that I owned in the 1990s and I got shat on for having that by everyone: my muscle car guys shat on me because it was euro and slow, other BMW guys shat on me because it wasnt a 3.0CS or a new e36, and other euro/jap guys used to just think it was an antique.

944s got shit on a lot even when new - the rear engine aircooled guys shat on them for being water cooled and having the engine in the wrong place, and being too heavy. The 928 guys shat on them because they were the "entry level" porsche, and everyone else shat on them because for some reason they had the build quality reputation of a mid 1970's camaro (and I have heard the 944 called the German camaro on more than one occasion). The 968 is an awesome car in every way and made great strides to recover the concept of a front engine rear drive porsche but notice that porsche doesn't really make one now with that architecture. People used to shit all over the 914 too because it was small and weird and not as cool looking as a karmen giha VW but was even less practical. I still can't take a 944 serious as a performance car and they styling is dated but for some reason they seem charming to me now. MY parent's neighbor has a real 930 factory race car (as a street car) and a 944 with 30,000 miles on it that he autocrosses and while I am impressed at how clean the 944 I just can't help but see it as a german camaro, and I like camaros.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 02-14-2013 at 01:29 PM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Not only do I hate BMW drivers, but the cars are massively over rated.
    actually the best BMW still only gets a Meh rating from me
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

says the person who has never owned one and maybe only driven one once.....
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Never owned one, drove a few. They suck
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

and that is why most people don't value your opinions about cars.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

And you think they value yours?
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Yes. Yes they do.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Okay.......
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by mickey356 View Post
    Humorless? I've got a great sense of humor!!

No mustangs. I've always wanted a long nose "toad, as Geeto calls them. My Dad rolled up the driveway in a brand new 1975 914 when I was a kid and that's what got me started. Over the years the family had three 914's, a 924 turbo (fun car) and a Super Beetle convertible. The first car I bought with my own money was a 1971 Ghia convertible. I guess I was an impressionable kid and the german stuff just stuck with me. I was always infatuated with the 1973 911 RS when I was a kid. I suppose thats why the older style appeals to me so much. I considered backdating my SC but it seemed like a lot of fluff just for teh look, besides that SC looked great as it was.

As much as I like the suby boxer in a 911 once you go that route the car is unsellable to all but a few, very few, select buyers who would appreciate it. I'm already wasting 300+ hp in the 996, and I never really used what the SC had, I'd be looking for something that is simply fun to drive and that I'm comfortable enough to work on. There are a ton of cars that fit that bill but I'm just drawn the the old porsches.
    That kind of family history in Porsche and VW cars means that only the ownership of vintage Fiat can instill humility and sense of humor in you.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links