Starting Up A Garage - Page 2
Close

Starting Up A Garage

This is a discussion on Starting Up A Garage within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Probably do better being a retail parts seller....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Probably do better being a retail parts seller.

its not looking good over in the uk .most of the forums are ded ,blogs are the same , i dont fink its just the cafe racer sean the bobbers and choppers stuff looks to be going down the pan . starting a shop in these times is a big no , in the usa it may be better ??? if i was you do the stuff your doing as a hobby . like the man says when its your job its not the same , i wish you all the look in the world if you do get a shop

I don't want to harsh your mellow... but the whole point I, and many other people. am/are into cafe racers and choppers are because of the "I do my own work" culture. Even if I don't do my own work and buy a good or service then I do so in the most frugal way. How many people brag about how expensive their cafes are? It's always, my bike cost me only $1500 after I bought and built it. That don't leave a lot of room for profit for an honest man.

Cool! ---RIP

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

As others have said you need to check out the economics of the idea. Cafe's are typically built not bought and at the end of the day buying a project bike for 600, dumping 2k into parts, 1k on paint and body work, countless hours, you really think you are going to sell even a really sweet bike to someone for enough to make your money back let alone make a living? (numbers are just rough estimates)

Make it a serious hobby and take on projects...or like i think someone else mentioned get into the parts biz...I have been doing that for a while. Recently bought a non running untitled cb360 for $250...sold over 1k in parts and still stuff left. It will pay for your expensive hobby.
    Last edited by Joep7; 03-03-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl8295 View Post
    Is there really any money is building custom Cafe Racers? I look at some of the bikes that shops are turning out and while beautiful, they have so much time and money tied up, they can't make a profit. After all, even with thousands of dollars of work, it's still a CB750 or XS650 or whatever.

It seems like the guys that make the money are doing service and selling parts. Am I off here guys?
    Even servicing doesn't really pay the bills.
    Until your retailing a lot of stuff it's just a full time hobby
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

My guess is Jenks750 wants to build hipster bikes, not that there's anything wrong with that, well........ Anyway, there's probably a market for them just about anywhere, especially if he can ship them.

Id take everyone's advice so far: forget about a shop and find shop space. Build what YOU want to build and sell them as you go. It's a fad and it'll be all dried up in a few years so forget about it being a career. Check out a guy named Magnus Walker: he's made a decent living doing what I'd imagine you're looking to do, but with pre 73 Porsche 911s.
    1988 FZ600

I'm not trying to be rude in any way whatsoever because I do have respect for each of you and your own knowledge on the subject. However, you can only form opinions based on your own experiences or what you currently know, which is why I'm not upset by what I perceived as you lot telling me to bugger off. Because you aren't aware of my business plan, my investments, my ability to get cheap, efficient parts or make them, or generally what resources I have available. With that in mind, the only thing I really needed was a name.

Now, as for the one who suggested "Dick Riders," you've made it quite clear that the first thing you thought of was a penis. There's nothing wrong with being homosexual, I just don't see why you would recommend your idea of a good time("dick riding") as a potential name for my business. And, yes, that time I meant to be a little rude. Sorry, it's late and I'm a little grumpy. I hope this post doesn't leave a bad impression, I'm usually quite a nice guy.

I own and run two restaurants. No, they're not bikes shop but they are businesses so I have at least some insight to what it takes. It's a risk and it's no guarantee you'll succeed, that's all these guys are saying.

As for names....... give us something to go on. Where are you located? Nicknames? Something
    1988 FZ600

Quote Originally Posted by Jenks750 View Post
    I'm not trying to be rude in any way whatsoever because I do have respect for each of you and your own knowledge on the subject. However, you can only form opinions based on your own experiences or what you currently know, which is why I'm not upset by what I perceived as you lot telling me to bugger off. Because you aren't aware of my business plan, my investments, my ability to get cheap, efficient parts or make them, or generally what resources I have available. With that in mind, the only thing I really needed was a name.

Now, as for the one who suggested "Dick Riders," you've made it quite clear that the first thing you thought of was a penis. There's nothing wrong with being homosexual, I just don't see why you would recommend your idea of a good time("dick riding") as a potential name for my business. And, yes, that time I meant to be a little rude. Sorry, it's late and I'm a little grumpy. I hope this post doesn't leave a bad impression, I'm usually quite a nice guy.
    yea, bullshit

If you truly had the ability to do it you wouldn't be here asking such a vapid a question as "what should I name my imaginary bike shop"

See some of us here own businesses, many of them are even motorcycle/automotive related. You make think you're the Christopher Columbus of this deal, but you're nothing new. There are some basic economic principles in play that are bigger than me, you and your pipe dream.

Don't get pissed, prove me wrong, post up when you've sold your first bike, post up when your shop's had it's first month of positive cash-flow, for sure post up when you're paying all your bills from your shop's profit.

And for sure tell us your shop's name
    Last edited by KeninIowa; 03-03-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenks750 View Post
    actually we asked you all about your business plan/model on the first page and you still have yet to answer. There are so many people that come here to jerk off using their keyboard that those wh share information and look like they got their shit together get rewarded, those who are secretive and cryptic are just assumed to be trend jumping morons. Guess where you are falling right now.

Whomever said Cafe's are built not bought .....that is the stupidest shit I have heard. More jingoistic macho nonsense held over from the chopper world. There are plenty of people who get in over their heads quickly in this hobby and need a place to sort things out. Also there are plenty of people I would buy a high performance vintage bike off of any day of the week - lance Weil while he was alive was one, Pete at motoborgotaro is another.

tht being said, stay away from Japanese bikes - the people who buy Japanese bikes to convert to cafe racers are the cheapest motherfuckers alive.

But Jenks, If you are coming here asing about a name I think you are seriously undervaluing the concept of "branding". If you have a really good logo, name and color scheme, you can probably prop up your business on t-shirt and sticker sales, not at first but you'll get there. I may not think much of dime city cycles as a business but their branding is extremely effective and their logo is pretty good.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links