Starting Up A Garage - Page 3
Close

Starting Up A Garage

This is a discussion on Starting Up A Garage within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; OK, Based on your first post we didn't realize you are Donald, Fucking, Trump. And that you have graduated froma motorcycle mechanics institute or can ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    OK, Based on your first post we didn't realize you are Donald, Fucking, Trump. And that you have graduated froma motorcycle mechanics institute or can hire someone who has.

There are many routes to coming up with a good name examples below:
    Ace Cycles - will get you the patch wearing dudes into your shop and get your name on top of a search (AAAce Would for sure. Later on you can do a A3ce cycles as you get better known.

You could make it a personal nickname that will really tie it to you. But then if you sell it or it goes under it's a little weird. (I won't buy the Kia Soul for this reason. It would freak me out to use phrases like "I wrecked my soul," or "I sold my Soul")

You could make it a regional nickname (like Dime City Cycles)or dig in to Wikipedia and come up with some local historical names Nashville, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Holler's Mill Cycles
    Red-Eye Cycles
    Red-Eye Rockers
    Hostler Cycles.
    Grand River Valley Custom Cycles. (This would be an annoying thing to type for email and web stuff. Short names will get more hits)

By strongly tieing your business to a regional identity you create a terratorial feel that the modern "Rocker" seem to like. It's like joining a gang or having a secret local pass word. It's like having a white oval on the back of your car with three letters that everyone else who dosent recognize is not as cool as you are.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Cool! ---RIP

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    I had the very first official motorcycle mobile servicing business in Britain.
    Just because you managed to offload 3 bikes you put together it's no basis for a career move.
    Without training you'll probably have issues getting insurance, without liability insurance, you could end up worse than bankrupt
    Without a business plan, you WILL fail, without training (and even with it) you could kill someone
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

The built not bought thing may be a cliche left over chopper term and doesn't directly apply and I'm sure there are people out there looking to buy expensive quality vintage racing bikes or quality "cafe" style collectors. But I have a feeling that market is slim. And the ones that have cash wont even know this guy exists! Most people serious about racing will want to build there own, and the rest of the market is douchey, hipsters who fall into the "dirt cheap Japanese brands" edit: (i like how that already ended up as plutos signature haha i wonder how many geeto quotes there are in signatures to date?) where there is just no money to be made. Especially in Nashville, mi. What pj said about the risk you are incurring is very true too...you are directly putting others lives in your hands. Better have damn good insurance or no conscience.
    Last edited by Joep7; 03-03-2013 at 09:46 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Says right here that your plan is:
    I've been thinking about opening a garage building bikes, more specifically Cafe Racers.
    If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask what people think.

As another business owner (unrelated to mc's) in this form, I would never discourage someone else from starting their own business. I've been in business long enough to run into my own share of speed bumps.

Here's a few points for you to consider:
    - The fun stops when you turn a hobby into a business...
    - If you don't care about collecting a paycheck every friday - then start your own business.
    - There is no such thing as holidays, weekends, vacations and birthdays - all these days become workdays.
    - The only way to make a little money is to start with a lot of money.
    - Just when you "think" everything is going good - something will happen to knock you down.
    - You will spend more time getting your Arss out of jams then you will making money.
    - The state and federal gov, bankers, employees, lawyers and customers will be your worst enemy.
    - Learn what the word NO means - and use it often.
    - One o-shit is worth more than 100 at-a-boys.
    - The customer is not always right, but you have to make them think they are.
    - Rome was not built in a day and neither will your business.
    - What ever bright idea you come up with more than likely is not.
    - Employees will steal your every idea, products and money you have.
    - There is no such thing as an "equal" partner.

I could keep adding to this list. If your still hell bent on setting the world on fire - have at it. But you have been warned...
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Quote Originally Posted by bmartin View Post
    As another business owner (unrelated to mc's) in this form, I would never discourage someone else from starting their own business. I've been in business long enough to run into my own share of speed bumps.

Here's a few points for you to consider:
    - The fun stops when you turn a hobby into a business...
    - If you don't care about collecting a paycheck every friday - then start your own business.
    - There is no such thing as holidays, weekends, vacations and birthdays - all these days become workdays.
    - The only way to make a little money is to start with a lot of money.
    - Just when you "think" everything is going good - something will happen to knock you down.
    - You will spend more time getting your Arss out of jams then you will making money.
    - The state and federal gov, bankers, employees, lawyers and customers will be your worst enemy.
    - Learn what the word NO means - and use it often.
    - One o-shit is worth more than 100 at-a-boys.
    - The customer is not always right, but you have to make them think they are.
    - Rome was not built in a day and neither will your business.
    - What ever bright idea you come up with more than likely is not.
    - Employees will steal your every idea, products and money you have.
    - There is no such thing as an "equal" partner.

I could keep adding to this list. If your still hell bent on setting the world on fire - have at it. But you have been warned...

Thats the American dream right there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenks750
    Because you aren't aware of my business plan, my investments, my ability to get cheap, efficient parts or make them, or generally what resources I have available.
    Forgive us for considering the possibility that you may not have especially ample resources to start and sustain your business. Guys who want to work on motorcycles for a living are typically working stiffs like most of us here, not Money McMoneybags. Plus, anyone who thinks a name for the business is his top priority doesn't exactly give the impression of having had some successful business experience. And, you do list yourself as living in a very small town (1,600 people) in one of the most economically depressed areas of the country. Under the circumstances, I think you would have to tell us a little more about all these "investments" and "plans" and "resources" you have before we would have reason to think you have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    actually we asked you all about your business plan/model on the first page and you still have yet to answer. There are so many people that come here to jerk off using their keyboard that those wh share information and look like they got their shit together get rewarded, those who are secretive and cryptic are just assumed to be trend jumping morons. Guess where you are falling right now.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Steve View Post
    OK, you are considering opening a garage. This forum could be helpful to you. There are pro bike mechanics here, parts fabricators, custom builders, and other experts. Lots of guys who have worked on bikes for a living, signed leases for shop space, built bike- related businesses, made money (and lost money), and bought and sold more bikes than you could shake a stick at.

Now, look at the one and only question you have come up with for us. You want us to help you think of a name for the business. Really?
    Amen!

-h

Edit: the guy is a troll - suspected it from opening but the response cleared it. Even if not troll the inability to listen to good (and even bad) advise without turning to sour puss means his plan as an entrepenour is doomed.
    Last edited by kerosene; 03-03-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    -

Here's your established competition located in Ypsilanti, Mi. Check their Facebook page also. Cafe Racer Ypsi: Motorcycles, Service, Parts, Accessories, Gifts & Strong Coffee

Troll.
    That's like, your opinion, man.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links