Starting Up A Garage - Page 4
Close

Starting Up A Garage

This is a discussion on Starting Up A Garage within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Maybe not: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...ovation-2.html...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    -

yikes.

see this is why you need to meet old timer racer guys in real life and not muck about on the internet. Anybody familiar with making a cb750 faster in real life would never have let it get that bad.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I believe he stated in the other thread that he is a broke high school student. I think that would explain everything. That being the case, I would say go ahead and start a business. How much overhead can he have? He can live in his parents' basement until he is 40 and it looks like he already has a cool set of tools.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

You guys are all meanies.....

No productive answers at all.
    He asked for a name and thats the only responses that should be given.
    We are going to what? Talk him out of it? Explain that shit work will get him no where? He doesnt know that once the next bandwagon comes along he will have to go to the salvation army to get a different outfit?
    Its the web, no one gives a crap.

Dick Riders was fitting and as far as I can tell the best answer
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Mayb OP is unemployed and needs to do something?
    Best definition I've heard of business though, 'If you HAVE to be there, it's a job'
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post

(I won't buy the Kia Soul for this reason. It would freak me out to use phrases like "I wrecked my soul," or "I sold my Soul")
    Me too, who the fuck wants a 'Key Asshole'
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

He'll go from being a broke high school student to a broker motorcycle business owner. A friend of mine owned Gwinnett Brake Service, didn't have a clue how to run a business. One day I went to the printer and had an "O" made that matched his signage and changed the "A" in "BRAKE" to an "O". He didn't know it for about a week.
    To open a legitimate powder coating shop takes between $30-$50K, you won't see any profit for about 2 years at least. I 'don't know how anyone who is a broke high school student can even think about what it takes to open a business. After many business's of my own I have learned the owner is the last one to get paid IF there is any money left at the end of the month.
    A name for the business should be the last thing on the list to consider.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

to put it simply you're not going to turn a profit selling bikes unless they

feature a lot of high end stuff you can either get at a ridiculous discount, or have made yourself (efficiently, not spending a week fabbing a headlight ear, which takes a good deal of experience you may not have yet)

are built by a "famous" builder (you're not famous yet until you can pony up some investors or a shitload of your own cash to buy a tv show to make you famous)

base your model on retail, getting traffic from the press your bikes generate (see above re: what press costs), oh yeah, and retail is nickel and dime, people are going to expect you to have everything in stock, and when you make $5 off a $45 tail light, things are going to get dicey for you quite soon unless you've ponied up a lot of cash or low interest credit for a big inventory up front

fourthly... it's unlikely those who are making a living doing it are going to shed much light on how it works for them, there's not much of a market so people aren't going to give away information that may make it harder for them to earn a paycheck
    Last edited by roccitycafe; 03-03-2013 at 09:24 PM.

And as with any business - not a bad idea to work in the field in somebody else's establishment first. You can learn what works and what doesn't and make connections quite risk free.
    -

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links