honda CB900 help
Close

honda CB900 help

This is a discussion on honda CB900 help within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I just bought a 1982 honda cb900custom. I wanted something a little more cafe style but the condition of the bike and the price were ...

dan

honda CB900 help

I just bought a 1982 honda cb900custom. I wanted something a little more cafe style but the condition of the bike and the price were just too good to pass up. My question is how difficult would it be to get an older style CB750 tank and seat on there. I want the flat seat with a bit more of a longer tank, for that cafe look. I realize this bike isnt really an original cafe racer bike, but I just wanted a reliable bike that has the cafe look. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by - dan on May 23 2006 01:26:00 AM

the cb900C tank is longer and holds more than an early K tank. The problem with the C bikes is that by 1979 honda had three different frame designs for the same engine and they are not as interchangable as people think. Just based on the fact that your bike is shaft drive while all other 900s are chain should be a tip off that there are different parts afoot. Even K bike parts from the same year will have trouble fitting the C.

However the coolest thing about the cb900c is the 10 speed tranny (5 speed plus high low splitter). To make it look more cafe/streetfighter-ish you are in custom territory, but don't be intimidated.

Edited by - Geeto67 on May 23 2006 09:54:11 AM

dan
    thanks, I have talked to some friends who have welding equipment and are willing to help me customize but I was just wondering off hand if A straight switch would be possible, I guess its a little more work, but thanks for the input.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I think a lot of the look is in the wheels and tires and how the bike sits. I don't care for the black comstars that are on the 900C. I would look for a set of wheels off of a GL1000 with the wire spokes. That would give you a 17 rear and I would get a 17 front rim and some Buchanan spokes and lace that up for the front. Then get some agressive looking tires. A set of clubmans or clipons, rearset pegs and recover the seat. You would have a good start on things. Just my opinion.
    Ken

AHRMA 412
    Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

quote:
    thanks, I have talked to some friends who have welding equipment and are willing to help me customize but I was just wondering off hand if A straight switch would be possible, I guess its a little more work, but thanks for the input.

I think you will find fiberglass easier to work with than welding. One of the things I think you should take advantage of is that the cb900c has dropped seat rails. When you look at pics of old race bikes you'll see that most of them have bodywork that drops the seat down as low as possible. A custom made seat and tail section out of fiberglass may work wonders for the back end of the bike.

one place I think you should look for inspiration is http://www.bratstyle.com/

Part chopper, part cafe racers, part rat bikes, and part racers there are a lot of cool ideas in play on the bikes on that site.

although a cb750, I think it is possible to get your cb900c to look close to this (espcially since the tank is two sectioned 900c tanks):

Sponsored Links