Goodbye Harley-Davidson
Close

Goodbye Harley-Davidson

This is a discussion on Goodbye Harley-Davidson within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; After 8 months as a tech assistant at a local HD dealership I'm going back to an office job. The guys I worked with were ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Goodbye Harley-Davidson

After 8 months as a tech assistant at a local HD dealership I'm going back to an office job. The guys I worked with were incredibly cool and I'll miss them a lot, but the Harley brand in general I'm happy to walk away from. There were numerous bikes that had to have scratches buffed out before going to new owners. The chrome and polished pieces typically were typically blemished in one way or another. Warranty issues at 500 mile were not uncommon. The damned things can best be described as tugboats and barges. Why use aluminum when you can use steel, and why use steel when cast iron works better? Aside from the fuel injection, Harleys have not advanced much past 1950, and that's being charitable. With all that in mind, I'm always amazed at how they seem to be the most desired motorcycle on the planet. Head to a pub and mention you have an HD and you can get nods of appreciation, plus stand a good chance of getting laid. Of course, considering the heifers on high heels that came thru the showroom, getting bedside with one isn't saying much. A boat is often defined as a hole in the water you throw money into and maybe a Harley is just another boat. Of course, color me an idiot for buying a '79 Super Glide shovelhead but I want a vintage 70's-era chopper and that's the starting point, keeping all of the shortcomings well in mind. I've written all of this as an admiration for Japanese and British bikes which placed a value of performance versus image, and the members of a café/racer motorcycle website might find this mea culpa amusing.With all that in mind, I have to admit the XR750 (dirt track replica) is an amazing bike and I definitely lust after one. (for some reason I can't get a line break here - anyone have a suggestion?)
    Last edited by Acemon; 05-03-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    HD= hunner dollar any time you visit shop
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Try working on busted up POS you see new guys on this forum bring after they fuck them up more. I don't ever want to see a CB750 ever again. A stock one? Would love to see that. Worse still, the bikes that "builders" are putting out there. The amount of stretched tanks, bum stop seats and clipons/clubmans with nothing else changed is sickening. Got to work on a S4R monster today. It was a pleasure.

Can I also just say that the Metzler M5's are the best tire I have ever ridden on. Hands down.

Anywho, congrats on getting your hobby back from your job. You get to stick with your own shit now. And to be fair, my fathers FLH rode across the country and only needed an oil change and a new rear tire. Wait. The LED indicators failed. But all in all chugged along fine. And I've ridden a sporty quite a distance back in oz. It's nothing too interesting, but it seemed fine.
    That's like, your opinion, man.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

There are Harley's tht put performance over image. They don't always sell well. HD had an entire sub brand devoted to performance, anybody remember buell?

Honestly, the "issues" you are describing sound like a dream compared to Italian motorcycles. When I was uncrating vespas every single one of them had an issue. If we're lucky it was only that when building the crate they had screwed into the tire. My BRAND NEW Ducati s1000 was delivered to me as a customer with 3 warranty issues right off the bat.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    My BRAND NEW Ducati s1000 was delivered to me as a customer with 3 warranty issues right off the bat.
    They ever address your tank issue on that one Geeto?

In complete agreement with Mr. BobDog on getting your hobby back from the job.
    I spent two plus years scraping by and working on clapped out shit that fashionable "log truckers" didn't want to pay for because they spent to much money on Bulliet and PBRs the night before whilst parading around in their Pendeltons and RedWings. I got to do a few neat projects and met some real prototype humanoids, but in the end, never again will I depend on old motos for a living. (crossed fingers)
    Now I do small moto jobs out of my house for friends/neighbors. I get in return freshly caught Albacore, bags of we..d & whisky.
    I'm glad to have returned to the world of high dollar pedal bikes. Still don't know about that electronic shifting shit, though.
    F!ck that Portland fashionable shit.

NE
    Subscribe to SIX HOT ISSUES!! of WarmPipe for only $29.99!!! Interweb NOW!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondj View Post
    They ever address your tank issue on that one Geeto?

No, the just gave me another potentially expanding tank and are waiting for my warranty to run out. Bastards. There is now an alloy tank on the market, its $2100 and to be honest given that the value of the sportclassics have gone up it might actually be worth it to pay that for a polished alloy tank.

I don't care if the invent a bike that gives me a blow job and fingers my asshole every time I go over 60 mph, Ducati will NEVER GET ANOTHER CENT FROM ME. I seriously hope they got out of business.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I still can't believe they didn't just make a fucking steel tank for that thing. That. The monster. Every second guy complains about the monster with the plastic tanks.
    That's like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    No, the just gave me another potentially expanding tank and are waiting for my warranty to run out. Bastards. There is now an alloy tank on the market, its $2100 and to be honest given that the value of the sportclassics have gone up it might actually be worth it to pay that for a polished alloy tank.

I don't care if the invent a bike that gives me a blow job and fingers my asshole every time I go over 60 mph, Ducati will NEVER GET ANOTHER CENT FROM ME. I seriously hope they got out of business.
    You should talk with Tannermatic. Get him to pull a pattern from your replacement tank and then make you some carbon fiber goodness that's ethanol proof. I'd have to think you'd come out ahead of the $2,100 the alloy tank is selling for. Actually now you've got me thinking about it, next time I'm there I'll ask Fred at Yoyodyne what he did to fuel proof his tank on his. Maybe he had Sebimoto make him a custom tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob Dog View Post
    Anywho, congrats on getting your hobby back from your job. You get to stick with your own shit now.
    This is why when I started riding dirt again as an adult that I made the conscious descision to not work on other people's stuff.

When I raced cars I did setup, repair, even built complete cars for other people because I needed the money. It was neccesity, but hastened my burnout on the whole circle track thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links