Ducati is actually going to do it.
Close

This is a discussion on Ducati is actually going to do it. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Putting their GP bike on the street. 200+hp http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Jun/tb/060601k.htm JohnnyB...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Putting their GP bike on the street. 200+hp

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Jun/tb/060601k.htm

JohnnyB

Phew! That's really something. Say what you will, it looks like it means business. If the magazines complain about the mirrors not working I'm gonna throw something.

Z

At $65,000.....hey I'll take five.

JohnnyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

hell, this thing isn't just for the consumer market... just because it is now a "production" bike it can now compete in wsb and ama/sb.

-scott from chicago....conspiracy theorizing

I'm sure you'll see all the Hollywood bike fans picking one up. Besides if you could afford the 999R it's probably not really a money issue.

Man, I need some dispoable cash.

quote:
    hell, this thing isn't just for the consumer market... just because it is now a "production" bike it can now compete in wsb and ama/sb.

-scott from chicago....conspiracy theorizing
    They have to make a lot of them for it to be considered "production" don't they? Like a few hundred a year? Also, production parts are illegal in MotoGP, so they don't want to associate the D16 street bike with the race model from a technical standpoint. I'm pretty sure I read that they're not going to use it in SBK championships.

Z

I'm not sure what the required homologation numbers are in WSBK these days...I'm thinking 400 units a year would qualify...considering Patronos managed to go racing with no production bikes that I ever heard of actually for sale. And Bimota managed to get on the track with very dubious bike numbers. I forget what the exact wording is but the production requirements have a certain variability based on the manufacturers size and history of bike production.

Ducati can now market their GP bike as production because next year the rules require 800cc bikes...so in effect the current GP engine will no longer have to meet "prototype" designation. I'm guessing there are a lot of gray areas when it comes to part numbers...very small changes could make the difference between production and prototype parts.

It's a beautiful move on Ducati's part, very much like the Ferrari marketing model. If Honda can build POS $20,000 limited production cruisers I'm thinking they could put out a GP replica too. But they are known for their conservative ways when it comes to production machines.
    JohnnyB

I think Honda has learned its lessons about people getting excited about prospective machines and then cooling off when the machine actually reached the market. Ducati, however, will sell all of its production, this having to do with Ducati being Italian, as is Ferarri, thus the perception of exclusivity, sexy'ness, passion, and all the other stuff that's known Italian.

Whereas, the Japanese are known for cheap utilty type machines despite the fabulous GP, Gran Prix, etc, etc, machinery they turn out on a regular basis. If people were computers that simply analyzed data, the Japanese would be most highly esteemed; however, man has a soul, passion, sex drive, lust, ego, big list, and all of that drives him to the blood red, pulsating, wasp waisted, soulful sounding Italian machinery. Just the way it is.

Are these going to be street machines? Wow.

Dgy

Sounds like racist mumbo jumbo.

I'd rather have a Honda GP replica than a Ducati. And I appreciate the Japanese culture more than that of the Italians. I think men confident in their sexuality are more easily able to pry themselves from the old school faux machismo of the Mediterranean cultures. Whereas men of dubious sexual performance are more likely to try to surround themselves with material symbols of "performance" to compensate for their lack of real world social ability.
    I will grant the Italians much credit for realizing long ago that they could market their products to the sexually...uhhh...challenged..men as a material symbol they could use to substitute their lack of performance with the performance of the machine. A clever insight into the average Italian man.

Some people buy into the Ducati concept....I don't. It's just another machine....easily the most beautiful machines. But from a performance standpoint...just a below average machine. Kinda like the young and beautiful Italian girl....the looks mean everything for a little while....until the mustache starts to grow.
    JohnnyB

hey jb... it's all the same in the dark

matt

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links