day job
Close

day job

This is a discussion on day job within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; well, on a lighter note than the dcc shit, thought i'd share what i do in the real world. I work as a photographer for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: day job

day job

well, on a lighter note than the dcc shit, thought i'd share what i do in the real world. I work as a photographer for my day job. mostly shooting portraits for magazines and shit like that. which is nice b/c i have a ton of free time and meet some cool people(some not) but, I don't always have much in the way of $$. a few weeks ago i got to go shoot the cast of duck dynasty. not sure how many people watch but the show is pretty funny. phil was pretty cool pretty much like he is on the show but the two sons were a little too cool for school. uncle si was just real quiet. This ran in Time a couple weeks ago. first time in a while something i shot looked really good in print. Photo always seems to get compromised by the layout or editors pick the worst one, etc...

Name:  duck.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  104.0 KB

also, while i'm thinking about it, shot Ashely Fiolek last year, if you follow motorcross you might know her but, basically she's deaf and the top female rider, been riding since she was a little kid...her dad used to ride prof i think.... she was supposed to start competing in the men's class shortly after i shot her. not sure if she ever did it though.

Name:  4x5-sittingtire.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  93.3 KB
    Name:  CN-11-21-09.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  66.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bfont52 View Post
    well, on a lighter note than the dcc shit, thought i'd share what i do in the real world. I work as a photographer for my day job. mostly shooting portraits for magazines and shit like that. which is nice b/c i have a ton of free time and meet some cool people(some not) but, I don't always have much in the way of $$. a few weeks ago i got to go shoot the cast of duck dynasty. not sure how many people watch but the show is pretty funny. phil was pretty cool pretty much like he is on the show but the two sons were a little too cool for school. uncle si was just real quiet. This ran in Time a couple weeks ago. first time in a while something i shot looked really good in print. Photo always seems to get compromised by the layout or editors pick the worst one, etc...

Name:  duck.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  104.0 KB

also, while i'm thinking about it, shot Ashely Fiolek last year, if you follow motorcross you might know her but, basically she's deaf and the top female rider, been riding since she was a little kid...her dad used to ride prof i think.... she was supposed to start competing in the men's class shortly after i shot her. not sure if she ever did it though.

Name:  4x5-sittingtire.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  93.3 KB
    Name:  CN-11-21-09.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  66.3 KB
    what a totally cool way to make a living (with the emphasis on LIVING)!
    mjb

Nice day job - love the duck dynasty show..
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Yea, it's usually pretty fun, at least when I have work . Lots of ups and downs though. Actually been considering what else I might be able to do instead as business side is starting to make me bitter a bit. tired of the hustle but the free time makes up for it for the most part.

saw that article on the newstand, thought the pics looked great, glad to know it was the work of someone here.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Very cool! Do you have a flickr account we can check out or a portfolio somewhere?
    I work for a giant auto parts company. More specifically, a risk analyst for their website.
    Its fun and rewarding but not as glam as capturing moments in time of interesting people!
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

Nice shots. I too am a photographer by trade, but do mostly volume school pictures and sports stuff. Have been at it nearly 40 years. It WAS a good living, especailly back in the 90's but the digital revolution has really hurt the wedding/portrait part. Went from doing nearly 500 high school seniors in 2000 to less than 50 last year.

I enjoy watching that show. I understand the one son, Jeph, is a pretty good shooter too.

You aren't the guy they had on one of the shows that came to do pics of Phil, Kaye and her dogs are you?

Jack

Digital imaging killed Kodak and the film industry in general. Back when I was in school they gave you the proofs to choose which you would have copies made and buy from them. When the digital age and photocopiers started coming out everyone was getting the free proofs and running them through their scanner and printing what they wanted for free. Now they charge you for the proofs knowing they probably won't get orders off them. I have a nice $500 Minolta 35mm SLR that is now worth about $25 IF you can sell it at all.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

You are right about the film gear Marc. One year I had $30,000 worth of Hassleblad camera gear. Two years later I had $1700 worth of gear, and it was the exact same equipment I had the two years earlier.

There is somewhat of a renaisance for pro film gear know, but mine is all long gone.

mmmmmnnnn hasselblad.

<drool>
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links